PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln Electric Weld Pack HD Feed Welder

ccbruin
July 18th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Looking to get a welder. I have never welded before and need something to weld on. Want to stay away from 220V for now. Want to keep it rather cheap, easy to use, but yet capable for real use. Would also prefer to stay with flux-cored.

the Lincoln Weld Pack HD seems to me like a good place to start along with the other Weld Paks. Any opinion/suggestions on these ones?

carpenle
July 18th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Welding with gas is sooooooo much better. My first welder was flux core and it worked ok, then I went to gas and was amazed.

ccbruin
July 18th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Understandable. But I'd like to stay with flux core for now

Welding with gas is sooooooo much better. My first welder was flux core and it worked ok, then I went to gas and was amazed.

4wdhunter
July 18th, 2013, 10:29 AM
I have the Lincoln Weld-Pak 3200HD (all metal case not plastic like the new ones). Picked it up new at Home Depot 5 or so years ago. It came with a regulator to run gas, but I have yet to hook it up. All in all I've been impressed with the welder and it has done everything I have needed it to do (frame repairs, shock mounts, bumpers etc.). I've lent it to a friend who used to weld for a living and he was impressed with how it perfromed as well.

Hope this helps.

Shane
July 18th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Right now HF has their 90amp flux core for 98.00 with coupon just got the email a couple of days ago. If you don't get the HF emails I can forward you the one I revceived.

redneck23ms
July 18th, 2013, 10:06 PM
hard to be the hobart 140 for a 110v welder

Popsgarage
July 20th, 2013, 01:28 AM
90amp flux core for 98.00

Buy it and learn to burn.......Metal that is. Just make sure you buy the two year extended warranty.

ccbruin
July 22nd, 2013, 07:39 AM
I think I'll just snag the HF welder. I hear its really not that bad if you put some lincoln flux wire in it.

Java
July 22nd, 2013, 09:43 AM
coupon in the September fourwheeler for 89.00, code is 16609376 I believe it qualifies for 6.99 shipping too. I'm picking up Lincoln wire and Weld Kleen spray, hoping to go from boogers to beads with it. I used cooking spray and it made a difference, way less splatter. I think a big part of it is that there might be some inconsistencies in the HF wire that doesn't allow it to flow into a proper pool / bead... or very possibly I still just suck that badly. IDK, I'll see.

helmet coupon in the same mag, 35.99 code is 88128660

get gloves too!

ccbruin
July 22nd, 2013, 09:58 AM
Just ordered the HF 90 amp welder... Just gotta run by HF to purchase the 2-year warranty.

With regards to welding wire. Should I purchase 0.030 or .035 Lincoln wire?

carpenle
July 22nd, 2013, 10:36 AM
Congrats! I always use .030, but both should work. What size of tip does the welder come with?

Popsgarage
July 22nd, 2013, 05:08 PM
You can do thinner stuff with the .30. Sheet metal, etc. The .35 is for heavier material. They are both rated the same for the heavier stuff.

Shane
July 22nd, 2013, 07:38 PM
I have always used 0.30.

Shane
July 22nd, 2013, 08:19 PM
I have needed it to do (frame repairs, shock mounts, bumpers etc
How thick of metal were you using for bumpers? I have never used a flux core for any thing more than 11g made some sliders the welds held up pretty good as well as the sliders.

ccbruin
July 23rd, 2013, 11:10 AM
How thick of metal were you using for bumpers? I have never used a flux core for any thing more than 11g made some sliders the welds held up pretty good as well as the sliders.

All tubing is .120 wall.

4wdhunter
July 23rd, 2013, 11:48 AM

3/16" with .035 wire. Plated the frame on my CJ7 with 3/16" as well with no problems. The machine I have is a great general use welder and I wouldn't hesitate to use it for anything 3/16 of an inch thick and under. Anything thicker and I wouldn't feel comfortable. And as a general rule I just weld on my projects and don't weld anything anyone's life might depend on. Everyone has got to know their limitations.

Shane
July 23rd, 2013, 12:07 PM
I was curious I could see 3/16 with a flux core just wasn't sure if anyone has used it it for 1/4 and .035 wire and what their experience was useing it. I have been considering the HF for just fabbing stuff for the jeep and a separate one for body work on the 57 which is going to be further out on the project list.

4wdhunter
July 23rd, 2013, 12:26 PM
Never welded 1/4", but might be able to with a double pass...not sure though.

Never done any (good) bodywork, but as others have said use thinner wire. Then you wouldn't have to buy 2 welders.

Shane
July 23rd, 2013, 04:33 PM
From my understand 0.23 is recommended for body work. I think the biggest issue would be heat control. Even the 90 from HF gets pretty hot, not sure if it could be used for it.

4wdhunter
July 23rd, 2013, 05:13 PM
I welded up some inner fenders (thinner stuff, can't remember what gauge) for a set of tube fenders I built with the .035 wire. It worked but definitely wasn't pretty. Just turn the heat way down and move fast.

Popsgarage
July 23rd, 2013, 10:48 PM
I welded up some inner fenders (thinner stuff, can't remember what gauge) for a set of tube fenders I built with the .035 wire. It worked but definitely wasn't pretty. Just turn the heat way down and move fast.

Watch some videos, learn the controls and what your machine is capable of and practice, practice, practice.