PDA

View Full Version : Wheeler Geological Area

Shane
July 21st, 2013, 11:04 PM
So after the wife and I decided to do Gevena Creek she has been on trialdamage for about 2 1/2 looking at trails to run. One of them was Wheeler Geological Area. Has anyone been their? thinking about going in August. The jeep seemed to be fine on Gevena Creek looking to keep the trail ratings between 3 and 4 rating till I change out some of the stock stuff like cv style front axles and front cv style front drive shaft.

Java
July 22nd, 2013, 09:44 AM
thank you for putting this on my radar, I have a trip planned to Black Canyon / Uncomphagre Plateau / Rattlesnake Canyon that this would fit will with. I found a couple of videos on youtube of a rental ford escape and a 2wd 4runner doing it. It looks incredible!! :thumb:

Shane
July 22nd, 2013, 06:36 PM
Thinking about the middle of August will no more in a couple of weeks. After we figure out what weekend will post up on the planned runs.

Chris
July 22nd, 2013, 06:39 PM
:thumb: That's been on my list for years, I'll be watching this thread...

Brad
July 22nd, 2013, 07:47 PM
I'm watching as well. I know a guy at work who went there a couple weeks ago (his second trip) and he loved it!

Shane
July 22nd, 2013, 07:55 PM
Still trying to figure out when to plan it August is a pretty busy month kids start back to school, daughters 4H at the state fair and work every other Saturday. So maybe thinking Early Sept 1st or 2nd week would be more likely. Will try and narrow down dates within the next couple of weeks and after that post it as a run.

cfr
July 23rd, 2013, 08:21 PM
I was interested in this on a recent trip to Creede, but decided against it after seeing the brochure in the Creede visitor center. Looked like a 5-hour round-trip from the highway (or maybe even one way). Call them and check.

Shane
July 23rd, 2013, 10:14 PM
I will check into it, TD says it just under 14 miles I would assume one way. When we go it will be a 2 day trip one heading up friday and finding a camping spot, the wife said there was one at the base of the 4x4 trailhead. Get up saturday morning then do the run camp again that night drive home sunday. Once I get everything figured out will place it as a run.

Shane
July 30th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Well based on my recent work schedule for the next 2 months this one may have to be put on the back burner till next year not sure when I can get another 3 day weekend. Not sure how it would be with snow?

dscowell
July 30th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Wooh! Looking through the pictures that place looks really cool. Maybe if you go next year I would be interested in going. This year I won't be able to little to far with school and football.

Shane
July 30th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Does look like a nice place to go and take some great pics. It is still on my to go list.

Shane
July 30th, 2013, 08:28 PM
With the kids starting school and me starting school and work schedule no matter how I try and plan it it doesn't seem to want to work out. If anything changes will try to post in advance.