PDA

View Full Version : XJ distributor blues

Ed Gates
July 25th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Does anybody have any insight as to why I keep burning up the bushings in my 96 XJ's distributor I'm working on the third one in two months

Hypoid
July 25th, 2013, 10:59 PM
How long did the first one last?

Did the next two come from the same supplier?

Is this the original engine?

Has the cam shaft been replaced, ever?

Ed Gates
July 26th, 2013, 11:03 AM
I think you just answered my question it has 270k showing and I have no history on it CL purchase probably time to rebuild it I was hoping it might be time for a new oil pump but a walking cam would definitely do it I've had it for six months or so the first one lasted from when I bought it in January til June the second was a quick fix I took it of the engine from my t-boned '94 so I couldn't expect much I bought a new one this time though

Hypoid
July 26th, 2013, 05:10 PM
I did some poking around on NAXJA, same result, the cam shaft is moving in ways not intended.

One suggestion was to check for play while the distributor is out. If it had side play, you would think there would be some noise, maybe low oil pressure. I'd have to look up end play tolerances. These are said to have a thrust spring under the timing cover. I'm not remembering the one I had apart.:redface:

Ed Gates
July 27th, 2013, 07:39 AM
I know it's not the best fix but I wonder if I can get away for awhile with a new cam I don't have the money to rebuild right now I need until tax season at least

Hypoid
July 27th, 2013, 03:32 PM
A) I'd have to see if there was a problem with the cam, before looking for a replacement.
B) You can still find lower mileage engines to drop in, for a relatively low cost.

Ed Gates
July 27th, 2013, 06:20 PM
I gues a butt wrecked XJ might offer a decent engine huh

Hypoid
July 29th, 2013, 01:02 AM
If the engine has not been touched in an accident... :)

Right now, a guy on NAXJA is parting out a '93 XJ with 143K on the clock. The engine "starts, runs and drives." You can at least have a good listen before you dig in your pocket.

I lucked out and found a good engine in the boneyard. The Jeep had a bunch of new cooling system parts, and a bad radiator hose. It seems like people have a dollar limit for repairs, then they trade in for another set of headaches. ;)

I like to check the spark plugs for oil fouling or coolant stains. I like to look under the valve cover for sludge and coolant contamination. I like to check the tailpipe for oil and coolant. I like to check the cooling system for oil sludge.

Clickpopboom
July 29th, 2013, 08:42 AM
If the engine has not been touched in an accident... :)

Right now, a guy on NAXJA is parting out a '93 XJ with 143K on the clock. The engine "starts, runs and drives." You can at least have a good listen before you dig in your pocket.

I lucked out and found a good engine in the boneyard. The Jeep had a bunch of new cooling system parts, and a bad radiator hose. It seems like people have a dollar limit for repairs, then they trade in for another set of headaches. ;)

I like to check the spark plugs for oil fouling or coolant stains. I like to look under the valve cover for sludge and coolant contamination. I like to check the tailpipe for oil and coolant. I like to check the cooling system for oil sludge.

<------- This!

Also, if you go the JY engine route it is well worth your time to bring a battery, jumper cables, and compression tester. Then you can hot wire the starter and check for obvious problems like dropped valve seats or wasted rings before pulling it. I've learned from experience that pulling, installing, and then finding out the engine is bad is no fun at all!

Ed Gates
August 19th, 2013, 10:08 PM
My distributor blues are over for now I ended up putting another engine in and in so doing a couple nice upgrades I wrapped the header and now have a high volume oil pump which required massaging the oil pan a bit but it all worked out now I need to get the boss to sign of on a eun