PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Start Cancel Switch (in a TJ)

WW2AVG
August 17th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Ok, this is going to be a bit long, but here goes!

So, I got the idea from Geno to install a "Clutch Start Cancel Switch" in my TJ. My YJ doesn't require the clutch to be in to start and that "feature" saved me one day when my clutch slave cylinder failed.

For those that might no be familiar with this, it is a push button that allows a manual transmission vehicle to be started without pushing in the clutch. I believe that many/most vehicles require that. So, the scenario might be that you are stuck/stalled on a hill and don't want to roll back when you attempt to move again. You put the vehicle in 4WD low, 1st gear and just hit the starter! The starter will turn the engine and get you moving. With any luck the engine will start too!

Geno told me that some of the Toyota's had a switch for this purpose. It is already labeled "Clutch Start Cancel", so I decided to buy one of these. I got one of these used off of eBay for about $20. Then a trip to the junkyard to spend $0.58 buying the connector off a 4Runner that connects to it and about 4" of the harness!

Now I'll spare you the details here, but the Toyota has the clutch switch on the ground side of the starting relay. The Jeep that I was installing it on is on the positive side. So, I added one relay to the circuit to mimic the Toyota setup better. The relay that I added is simply placed in parallel with the existing clutch switch in the vehicle and effectively bypasses it. This setup SHOULD work in any vehicle where the clutch start switch is normally open and is closed when the clutch is depressed.

I'll break this up into several posts to make it a bit easier.

Okay, let's dig into the installation:

This is the circuit:

WW2AVG
August 17th, 2013, 06:15 PM
So, let's take a look at the switch.

Nothing terribly fancy, but it says "Clutch Start Cancel" and it lights up when activated. This is not "just a switch" There are several components inside like diodes, a small relay, resistors, and LEDs. I guess the point there is to be careful hooking it up. It might not be too happy if not connected as intended!

The leads are numbered 1 - 3 starting at the top (white with black stripe), #2 is in the middle (black and red) and #3 is on the bottom with Black and Yellow.

WW2AVG
August 17th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Now to hook it into the vehicle, you need to find the 2 wires that go to the clutch switch in your vehicle. In my TJ this was easy to find. I found a connector and disconnected it to make splicing in easier. I spliced into those wires (see to the diagram) and ran them to the relay. I found a convenient spot on the steering column to mount the relay which also ended up being where I attached a ground wire. So, here's where I tapped into the TJ's clutch switch circuit and connected that to the relay.

WW2AVG
August 17th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Now for the Clutch Start Cancel Switch!

The #1 wire (White/Black) goes to ground. I grabbed ground on the screw that holds the relay on.

The #2 (Black/Red)wire goes to one side of the relay coil. That might be a bit hard to see in the photo, but if you already had the clutch switch connected to the relay (I think that photo was a bit clearer), then it just goes to one of the two terminals left (it really doesn't matter if it is 85 or 86).

Then the #3 Black/Yellow) wire goes two places: 1) to the other terminal on the relay (either 85 or 86; whichever you didn't used for the #2 wire!) and then to a +12V source that is on when the ignition is in "ON" and "start". That is a key point! Watch out tapping into some things since some circuits are only live in the "ON" position and not in "start". In the TJ I took apart the housing around the start switch and turn signals and I found a blue wire that did just that! I tapped into it and it works perfect! Sadly, I forgot to take a photo of the splice into the blue wire, but you can see the connector that is located (on the TJ) used the turn signal on the steering column. the blue wire is pulled out a little. This is probably the trick part of adapting this to other vehicles depending on your comfort level with automotive wiring.

WW2AVG
August 17th, 2013, 06:52 PM
That is pretty much it. Just a few wrap-up photos to be complete.

Also, I'd like to add a little note. I have not seen this used in a Toyota, but from what I have seen on-line I believe that my setup works exactly as in the Toyotas. Perhaps someone can verify this for me! In any case, you use this, you put the ignition to "ON". Then press the "Clutch Start Cancel" button. It should light up. Now the vehicle SHOULD turn over w/o needing to push in the clutch. It should go w/o saying that perhaps when testing this you probably want to be out of gear! Now, the light stays on until you turn the ignition off. What this means is that until you turn the ignition switch "off" you can crank the engine w/o depressing the clutch.

With that said, there is a small relay in the "Clutch Start Cancel" switch that stays energized. My circuit also has an additional relay that will remain energized. My recommendation would be to use the switch as needed, but when you get to a place where you can safely stop (like level ground), it might be a good idea to turn the engine off and start normally by depressing the clutch pedal.

I think that's about it. I hope someone finds this useful. If nothing else, it made for a fun project today!

Geno
August 17th, 2013, 08:17 PM
WOW, looks great, since I suggested the idea, I hope I can count on you to help me set this up in my TJ, I have Beer and cookies ( home made of coarse) But this week end is the new steering set up and Roberts new Motors mounts and air tank set up..

WW2AVG
August 17th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Well, the homemade cookies are the selling point! You got a deal!

WW2AVG
August 17th, 2013, 08:53 PM
PS: The M&M cookies that Patty makes are my favorite!

Patrolman
August 18th, 2013, 12:09 AM
Nice work! Just an FYI, it would have been easier to buy a Toyota. ;)

Popsgarage
August 18th, 2013, 12:35 AM
Just an FYI, it would have been easier to buy a Toyota.

More fun to fiddle with stuff like this and make it work where it wasn't designed to go.

Patrolman
August 18th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Yeah, I know, just giving him some crap. It is nice work!

WW2AVG
August 18th, 2013, 06:22 AM
More fun to fiddle with stuff like this and make it work where it wasn't designed to go.

Exactly! That's the fun part!

Java
August 18th, 2013, 07:27 AM
That's cool, but your TJ already has a bypass from the factory. There is a fuse you put in to defeat the clutch switch, check your owners manual or google it.

WW2AVG
August 18th, 2013, 09:09 AM
That's cool, but your TJ already has a bypass from the factory. There is a fuse you put in to defeat the clutch switch, check your owners manual or google it.
Owner's Manual? What's that? :) I will Google it later though out of curiosity! The wiring diagram shows the clutch safety switch being bypassed for an automatic transmission. I suspect that is that I will find when I Google it. However, this setup makes it selectable. I have the safety of not being able to start it in gear unless I make an intentional effort to bypass the clutch switch. I like that. It was also a fun project.

Java
August 18th, 2013, 10:28 AM
For sure the switch has it's advantages, especially for safety while working on the Jeep, and the installation looks OEM. :thumb: just pointing it out, maybe if someone can't find a Toyota switch they could do a toggle off the fuse block with an inline fuse. Nice write up!

WW2AVG
August 18th, 2013, 11:03 AM
For sure the switch has it's advantages, especially for safety while working on the Jeep, and the installation looks OEM. :thumb: just pointing it out, maybe if someone can't find a Toyota switch they could do a toggle off the fuse block with an inline fuse. Nice write up!

It's actually quite easy to simply bypass the clutch safety switch! You just need a SPST switch and wire it across the clutch safety switch wires and you should be in business. I considered this. It is easier and probably a slight bit cheaper (my project was about $30). So, what I liked about this was that the switch was labeled. I think that makes it more professional. Also, it is a push button (that "latches" on once depressed). One the key is turned off, it resets. With a switch you might forget and leave the bypass on. This way, you have to intentionally press the button each time. The button is flush with the dash, so it is hard to hit accidentally.

I thought about a momentary push button, but I wanted something that I could press and then was hands-off while starting. The scenario I see where this is handy is being stuck on a hill and your buddies are saying "just don't roll back". If you are having to start in such a spot, you don't need to have one hand holding down a push button!

I guess I like that it defaults to "factory" once the key is off. If someone borrows my Jeep (like one of my kids) it default automatically goes back to having the safety feature enabled.

The Toyota switch seemed readily available on eBay. I think I paid about $20. I seem to recall many available, but most were about $30. When I went to the junkyard to find the connector to fit the back of the switch I found NO SWITCHES! People seemed to have either needed the switch or that part of the dash! There wasn't a single switch in any of the vehicles! So, it turns out that I probably did good by getting on on eBay and getting the pigtail with the connector at the junkyard!

zukrider
August 18th, 2013, 09:08 PM
why not just delete the switch at the pedal? just jump the 2 wires together and done!

now dont get me wrong, its a great install, and definitely serves its purpose, so kudo's. i prefer this mod for the added convenience and ssafety for wheeling. when you stall out crawling a tough section that is uphill, instead of pushing in the clutch and rolling back, just simply turn the key and give it some gas! much safer

Popsgarage
August 18th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Yeah, I know, just giving him some crap. It is nice work!

Like putting a Dana 30 under an S-10 Blazer. It would have been easier to buy a Jeep, that's for damn sure. What a job.

The StRanger
August 18th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Like putting a Dana 30 under an S-10 Blazer. It would have been easier to buy a Jeep, that's for damn sure. What a job.

Yup X2
Sometimes its fun to have somthing NOT from the factory !!

Jim
August 18th, 2013, 11:52 PM
why not just delete the switch at the pedal? just jump the 2 wires together and done!

I guess I like that it defaults to "factory" once the key is off. If someone borrows my Jeep (like one of my kids) it default automatically goes back to having the safety feature enabled.

alexb
August 19th, 2013, 09:22 AM
I thought that from the factory, Jeeps in 4-lo, first gear, manual transmission could start without using the clutch. Am I wrong?

WW2AVG
August 19th, 2013, 12:38 PM
I thought that from the factory, Jeeps in 4-lo, first gear, manual transmission could start without using the clutch. Am I wrong?
I just went out and tried the TJ. I put it in 4WD low, 1st gear. It will not crank over w/o the clutch pushed in! I would have felt real stupid if that had worked! I ASSUMED that the clutch had to be in ANYTIME you want the motor to crank over since that is that the diagram in the manual showed! As soon as I saw your comment I did fell pretty stupid for not trying it first though! Thanks for the comment!

Dave...

alexb
August 20th, 2013, 11:48 AM
I just went out and tried the TJ. I put it in 4WD low, 1st gear. It will not crank over w/o the clutch pushed in!

Guess everything I read on the internet isn't true after all. :)

Java
August 21st, 2013, 08:20 AM
under the hood of your TJ you'll find a fuse box forward of the battery. inside you'll find a spot labeled Clutch Override, put a 10a fuse in there and you're good to go. (there is another one labeled OFFROAD, that is part of the circuit for the Rubicon lockers) Not as easy or cool as a switch on the dash, but that is the orange to the apple... and I guess it's time to get the mud off my engine!

WW2AVG
August 21st, 2013, 09:01 AM
Here's the lid on my 2003 Wrangler X! Apparently I don't have that option on mine!

It would have been good to know for a backup or it could be used in a pinch. The button will certainly be handier if you are stuck on a steep hill and got one foot on the brake! You probably don't want to be talking your buddied through trying to open the hood and find a fuse to put in the fuse box!

Dave...

Java
August 21st, 2013, 09:04 AM
it's different for different years, 97 had to disconnect a wire by the pedal, I think for yours it's slot #20 behind the glove box, but I'm not sure.

WW2AVG
August 21st, 2013, 09:31 AM
it's different for different years, 97 had to disconnect a wire by the pedal, I think for yours it's slot #20 behind the glove box, but I'm not sure.

Ok! Now we are onto something! I have a Haynes Repair Manual 1987 thru 2008. The diagram does indeed show Fuse 20. It is labeled as being used to the automatic transmission, but it would definitely bypass the "Clutch Pedal Position Switch"!

I wanted to button so that I could have the option of bypassing it or not, but it is great to know another shortcut!

Thanks for pointing that out!

Dave...

WW2AVG
August 21st, 2013, 09:37 AM
Actually, it might have been better to put my relay across Fuse 20 instead of tapping into the clutch switch wires! I'll keep that in mind when we install this in Geno's Jeep!

WW2AVG
August 21st, 2013, 12:29 PM
We tried putting Fuse 20 in Geno's 2001 Wrangler and it worked great! I think that would be a better place to put the relay across if I had to do it over!