PDA

View Full Version : check your mud

colozj93
August 26th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Yesterday a buddy and I did an after church run up to caribu in Nederland. It started raining hard and the trail got really slick I saw a big mud hole and without checking how deep it was I went for it. Well to say the least I didn't make it out. I was plowing a foot of mud with my axle and it was much deeper than I thought. I had muddy water pouring in. My buddy's jeep didn't have the go to pull me out so we started digging. After all was said and done I was in 5ft water sitting and a 2ft trench. It ends up taking 4 rigs and two witches to pull me out. I didn't realize it untill I was on solid ground that my transmission was shot. I sucked in water throught the breather. The scrappy thing is the transmission only has 8000 miles on it. I will post some picks later.

P.s. anyone got a good cheap tranny friend

:confused::confused::eek::wrench:

Patrolman
August 26th, 2013, 03:29 PM
All I can say is "ouch".

Jackie
August 26th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Glad you're ok - :oops:. Sorry for the issues...

Chris
August 26th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Sorry to hear that, I'll certainly remember to check!

The StRanger
August 26th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Dude... I feel youre pain
I sunk the StRanger out at CORE bout 3 years ago.
Lucky that mud is REALY thick and didnt hurt anything
But damn I know that sinkin feeling !!!!

xaza
August 26th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Yep buried my Bronco that way. Now I make brother drive through it first...that's my way of checking :lmao: If we are unsure we go real slow backwards. We likey driving in reverse :D

colozj93
August 26th, 2013, 11:18 PM
While hooking the strap I fell in which was the filing to the cake by the time I got hone I had mud everywhere

Brad
August 27th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Sorry to hear, unfortunately I don't have any tranny hook ups. I do know Detroit transmission on Sheridan is a excellent rebuilder if you take it out yourself.

Squshiee1
August 27th, 2013, 07:35 AM
i almost did the same thing, i went into the hole and gunned it. I got caught on a rock and no one could winch me out for a couple of minutes because they were pulling out another rig. It eventually to 2 trucks to winch me out and it almost took a 3rd. Lucky no problems and I wasn't in there long enough to sink.

i cant think of anyone that does good trans work or that has a trans. Look on craigslist for someone who is parting out a jeep with the trans you need.

carpenle
August 27th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Is it an automatic or standard?

colozj93
August 27th, 2013, 12:07 PM
It's an auto. 46rh I'm looking for a warranty with it I did a cragslist rebuild last time and it worked great just looking for someone else to do the whole thing this time

carpenle
August 28th, 2013, 10:42 AM
I have a friend that does standars, but does not really get into automatics.

AccordRanger
August 28th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Ouch! I need to remember to finish detouring all my drivetrain vent lines. Any pics of the mud? Kinda interested.

colozj93
August 28th, 2013, 12:13 PM
I will throw some up when I get home. The vent roped off most likely on the way out. I took the drain pan off last night and it's bad. There is about double the amount of liquid there is supposed to be. It was barely even red. It was closer to light brown. The filter is full of dirt particulate. Past the filter I can still see more mud

AccordRanger
August 28th, 2013, 02:30 PM
I need to get my trans fluid changed soon. I know it has some water in it.

colozj93
August 28th, 2013, 02:31 PM
It can eat the clutch pack it destroys the glue that's used for them

The StRanger
August 28th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Damn !

Fordguy77
August 29th, 2013, 12:54 AM
All my transmission hooks up really dont like doing Autos out the door. Ive also heard good things about Detroit Tranmission. I use a guy i found on CL for all my stuff, and he always does a top notch job and hooks it up with a price but only does standards. I did have another guy do my C6 off CL and he dared me to break it again, and this one has held up great. Only down side is hes blind(literally does the whole thing by feel its rather amazing to watch) and is hard to track down and works on his own time and not yours. If you want I can try and find his info, hes located out of Golden.

Cr33p3r
August 29th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Bummer, Last mud hole I did way to fast and sucked muddy water into the intake and throttle body, could barely keep it running until I got back down to Golden to the parts store to get some TB cleaner and new filters. There was a shop over in Arvada on Ralston that I heard good things about but no personal experience.

AccordRanger
August 29th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Bummer, Last mud hole I did way to fast and sucked muddy water into the intake and throttle body, could barely keep it running until I got back down to Golden to the parts store to get some TB cleaner and new filters. There was a shop over in Arvada on Ralston that I heard good things about but no personal experience.

Last time I really went out playing in the mud my air box came open. Needless to say the maf wasn't too happy with me, the engine probably wasn't happy for a little either. She still runs like a top though.

colozj93
August 29th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Thankfully the filters clean. I checked. But I want the whole thing done I think I found a shop right by me he said he can do it for 2500 plus he is going to put in billet clutch pack with a 3 year warrenty

Hypoid
August 30th, 2013, 10:07 AM
I was driving through a cone-zone and saw a car that tried driving through a puddle; its front end was submerged. I never forgot that...

carpenle
August 30th, 2013, 02:36 PM
That is why I am alwaystry to be at the back of the pack :steer:.

sunk
September 6th, 2013, 07:35 AM
I know that sinking feeling as well. Last time that happened to me I rebuilt the engine and tranny...

Randy at A+A Transmissions on South Broadway does great work

mattzj98
September 7th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Josh, I have a transmission guy that does Chrysler, but zj specific too.. cheap... 720 862 5010 is my cell, txt for info

Andrew
September 7th, 2013, 11:16 AM
I know those mud pits....I stay away from them.

Clickpopboom
September 26th, 2013, 08:28 PM
I'm just gonna leave this here...