PDA

View Full Version : Tent Swamp Cooler

Patrolman
September 2nd, 2013, 12:47 PM
I found this design on a site where the people used it for the Burning Man festival. They had it in their tent at night and said it worked like a charm! I plan to build one for my truck (no a/c) and either use the same one, or build another for our pop-up trailer. Unsure one unit could cool the trailer, so 2 may be required. I can also fill them with the ice cold water from the cooler each day. At $10 each or so, and a couple bucks a day for ice, it is a cheap way to stay cool!

http://burningman.rengeekcentral.com/swampcooler.html

Funrover
September 3rd, 2013, 10:59 PM
Awesomeness!

xaza
September 4th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Pretty cool, especially like the idea of using solar power to allow it to run for as long as you have water. If camping near any stream you have an endless supply. Thanks Jeff.

Patrolman
September 4th, 2013, 09:56 AM
I liked that it was completely portable. I could even set it next to my bed at home. Will do a write-up when I build mine. :)

JeepWrench
March 20th, 2014, 02:30 PM
that is sweet, im building one for my tent this summer

Patrolman
March 20th, 2014, 03:33 PM
I picked up all the parts, just need to put it together. I think I am into it for about $10.

flashboiler
March 20th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Cool idea.

Swamp coolers work best with 100% outside air. That bucket design will just recirculate air in the cabin until the humidity is 100%.

Opening the windows will help but best would be suck outside air in to the bucket then exhaust cool air into the room with another window open for the exhaust.

Patrolman
March 21st, 2014, 10:00 PM
There are several different versions online all based on this. One has the bucket with the water outside, and then a piece of ductwork that goes through the tent door to pump the cool air in. Works just like a swamp cooler should.