PDA

View Full Version : a tick noise

Sinister68
September 25th, 2013, 02:30 PM
So my jeep developed an tick noise, it sounded like it is in the top end. How ever I have now checked everything thing I cant think of what else it may be .and its still there. Pushrods are all straight I just replaced all the lifters. There was no strange wear on the old lifters that would suggest its the can. I've taken the oil pan off to see if there is anything going on down there please help. I really don't want to have to replace the motor but if I do where should I go or is there any one here that could or would do it

The StRanger
September 25th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Do you have clean oil in it and, What viscosity ??

carpenle
September 25th, 2013, 02:53 PM
How is your oil pressure? I had a oil pump that was not putting out enough PSI, I to had a tick.

Chris
September 25th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Check for an exhaust manifold leak, common issue with 4Runners but might not apply to you.

The StRanger
September 25th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Check for an exhaust manifold leak, common issue with 4Runners but might not apply to you.

Yup. If its the 4.0 they are well know for exhaust manifold cracks !!!

Patrolman
September 25th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Are your lifters mechanical or hydraulic? And ditto on the exhaust. It only takes a very small hole to sound like a tick.

94ToyBear
September 25th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Timing chain ? When was the last time it was replaced ?

Hypoid
September 25th, 2013, 06:24 PM
How much oil pressure?

X3 on a cracked manifold. It cracks down by the head pipe.

Sinister68
September 25th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Oil pressure is good, had an exhaust leak around where the tick was and shop claims they fixed it. But not the tick. Could it be a carbon build up PR something like that? Starting to regret taking it to these guys considering I'm 1400 in the hole and the problem is still there I also had a couple other things done but still and then I call them and they say there coming up with nothing and told me to ask around and see what I could come up with.

94ToyBear
September 25th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Yeah sounds like you need a new shop. Where did you take it ?

The StRanger
September 25th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Oil pressure is good, had an exhaust leak around where the tick was and shop claims they fixed it. But not the tick. Could it be a carbon build up PR something like that? Starting to regret taking it to these guys considering I'm 1400 in the hole and the problem is still there I also had a couple other things done but still and then I call them and they say there coming up with nothing and told me to ask around and see what I could come up with.

Ouch !!!
Like Adam says, You need a new shop...
For that money you should have just got a header !!!

Sinister68
September 25th, 2013, 10:38 PM
I took it to rollinsville auto. Its close to my house

94ToyBear
September 25th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Anyway you can post a vid with good audio ?

Sinister68
September 26th, 2013, 03:30 AM
I was looking at it and the oil sending unit was hangin down, could have anything to do with it? It wasnt dumping any oil then again don't know if it would.

Sinister68
September 29th, 2013, 02:30 AM
So I haven't had time to go pick my jeep up out of the he shop and my buddy calls me at work and says he saw my jeep turning out of the pickle gulch area. So apparently they can't fix my jeep but they can take it offroad and charge me around 1400$ to do it. So is there anyone willing to look at me and possibly help me fix it for a decent price? I'd rather give my money to someone in our group than them.

Hypoid
September 29th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Gorsh, I'd have taken it to Jenny Creek for the test drive. :D

I have some friends in Rollinsville; don't know when I'll be up that way again. Advice is free, if you can bring it to Golden.

The StRanger
September 29th, 2013, 11:46 PM
my buddy calls me at work and says he saw my jeep turning out of the pickle gulch area

Oh My Gawd.... You must be kiding
Thats the most unprofessional thing Iv ever heard..

Jim
September 30th, 2013, 10:16 AM
If there was good evidence (you seeing them pull out of a trailhead and stopping them) that'd be grounds to get all of the $$$$ back (I'd think).

As for tracking a sound down... Grab a few feet of fuel line. One end to ear (perhaps put an earplug in your other ear) and move the other end around the engine bay. When the engine end nears the noise you'll hear it, piped into your ear.

94ToyBear
September 30th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mpNRJ7m-c8http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobile/en/accessories/Tools-Garage-and-Equipment/

you can get one here

Automotive-Stethoscope/_/N-26gd?switch=true

its a great tool to have. And will save you a bunch of money..... it make me a bunch of cash and saved me lots of time.

Hope it helps... just be carfull of moving parts.