PDA

View Full Version : engine replacement.

Sinister68
October 4th, 2013, 12:38 PM
So I have had a problem with my jeep for a while and the shop I took it to. 3 weeks later they have come to a conclusion that I have rod knocking. So I'm tryin to figure out if i should I have the motor replaced or should I have the bottom end rebuilt and does any one now a decent mechanic that can do either. Depending on what's cheaper. And what do you guys recommend I should do.

Patrolman
October 4th, 2013, 01:17 PM
I saw your other posts as well. A used engine will likely be considerably cheaper. It isn't rocket science if you can do other maintenance such as brakes and such on your own rig. Takes more work, and needs an engine hoist. Would save you a couple grand too.

94ToyBear
October 4th, 2013, 01:43 PM
How did they come up with that ? And what's wrong with the bottom end exactly ?

Pm me your number.....when I have a few extra mins ill call you around 4 pm today

xaza
October 4th, 2013, 03:46 PM
When I spun a bearing on my XJ I bought a rebuilt motor for about the same cost as we spent rebuilding my motor to put in brothers Jeep. IIRC it was $1700 for the motor. A spun bearing makes a pretty nasty knocking sound. Am curious too how they decided you need the bottom end rebuilt. Have they drained your oil and removed oil pan?

Sinister68
October 4th, 2013, 06:50 PM
They think its a wristpin

The StRanger
October 4th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Crate Engine..

Jed
October 4th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Used engine is the cheapest and easiest route to go, many places offer 30 day warranties. Check out this web site, it's one of the best salvege yard sites. www.car-part.com

Popsgarage
October 5th, 2013, 01:45 AM
I'd agree with Jed on this one. You can usually pull a used engine at most yards for around $200. And the Jeep 4.0 liter is very abundant. Which means you have a very large selection to choose from!