PDA

View Full Version : XJ disk brake conversion

xaza
October 6th, 2013, 01:12 AM
I have been tinkering with the idea of modifying my XJ to disk brakes from a ZJ but seems to be quite a bit of work. The cost of the Teraflex kits seemed a bit high but after today will jump on the cost of it to get a strong park brake on my truck. G2 also makes a kit and it might match up to my G2 axle and bolt right in without removing bearings like is needed for Teraflex kit. Have the Dana 44 from G2 which fits a 97-06 TJ. Anybody know what size rotors these kits use? Will a new set of rotors and pads cost me a fortune? Is one better than another? Will be heading to four wheel parts and talking to them asap to get some better answers regarding options. I know when I ordered my axles they had a disk brake upgrade available and I wish I had done it then, cheaper that way for sure. I do want a little better braking both front and rear but right now I am mostly concerned about the best parking brake option. Thanks in advance for any help.

xaza
October 6th, 2013, 02:07 AM
Correction, front axle is 97-06 TJ. Rear is 87-95 YJ

gm4x4lover
October 6th, 2013, 10:21 AM
The zj rear disk conversion shoukd be pretty simple. Its been so long since I have done one but I remember it being almost a direct bolt on.

Patrolman
October 6th, 2013, 11:34 AM
why not convert to a Ford 8.8 axle? Very popular. Stronger axle, keeps the same lug pattern, converts to disc brakes (if you get late 90's or 2000's) and can come with a limited slip. They are plentiful too. It does require welding new perches though.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1074705

You can even buy a kit for $199 that provides everything:
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=IR-XF88BK&Category_Code=F88S

xaza
October 6th, 2013, 11:55 AM
My axle is just over a year and a half old with eaton E-locker ,4.88 gears, chromoly shafts 30 spline...stronger than an 8.8 now and too much money invested until I find it not strong enough. Supposedly stronger housing than a stock Dana 44. After adding up all the parts for a ZJ brake swap (used backing plates, new everything else) the savings is minimal compared to the Teraflex kit or G2 kit. I am leaning towards the G2 kit since they will know exactly what will needs to be done to put it on their axles. The only concern I have is getting replacement e-brake shoes, rotors and pads. Truthfully though with the little driving this truck gets those will last quite a while. I guess I am still just really shook up from yesterday because all I can think about is how to get this done quickly and effectively. I have read soooo many swap threads on this now since I stayed up until 3 am researching I do like the ZJ swap except for the time required to acquire parts and the confusion I have as to what will fit my axle since it technically is not stock anything. It is a Dana 44 but my backing plate off my D35 drums fit perfectly with no issues. Would that mean I should focus on swaps from D35 non-c clip axles?

Popsgarage
October 6th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Can you shoot me the links on the rear disc brake conversion, Cliff?????????

xaza
October 7th, 2013, 07:54 PM
So I sent out emails to 4wheel parts and G2 yesterday and got my responses. Since my axles are G2 I opted to go with them and ordered them today. Also got new e-brake cables. :thumb: