PDA

View Full Version : Getting A New Ride, Opinions and Info wanted.

Fordguy77
October 6th, 2013, 04:09 PM
I am currently looking into purchasing a new ride for my daily driver needs for work. I love my focus, but it was never meant to be my daily driver(SVT edition), and I am looking for a replacement. By trade I am a Union Millwright, and have spent a considerable time of my career booming out of Colorado, and working the western US. During these trips I lug around 3 Toolboxes which probably total close to 400lbs, As well as enough basics for a kitchen, bed room, and cloths for 2 weeks. There have been some interesting trips in my Focus because of this. Aside from that, the places i work at have varying commutes from dirt access roads to goat trails to highways. And have to be able to be driven in all serve weather conditions. The power gen industry seems to think weather ans safety aren't as important as generating power and making money, so theres no such thing as a weather day for me regardless of conditions. The round trips to these places vary anywhere from 30miles to 150miles, so fuel efficiency is nice, but not a huge concern for me. I have narrowed it down to options.

Option 1;
A 2014 Ford F150 XLT, extra-cab, long bed, 4x4 with the ecoboost V6. As it stands now I currently already own a 1970 F100, 1970 C20, and a 77 F150, so the need for a full size truck isnt huge on my list, but I do like having an 8' bed over any other bed option. Historically speaking I am a ford person and have always had good luck with them. Not meaning I haven't veered off and owned other vehicles.

The things I like about it are;
Turboed V6(more room to tune and gain power)
Long Bed
Full Size
Decent MPG Rating.

Dislike;
Only available in an automatic
Electric power steering
Over priced spec wise in comparison to the yota.
Electronic Tcase

Option 2;
2014 Toyota Tacoma, Access Cab, 4x4 with the TRD package. Significantly smaller than the F150, but boast similar fuel economy, with less power. Granted the largest bed i can get is 6' it would still have plenty of room for all of my work stuff while traveling, and still leaving me with an empty cab, vs being packed in with my stuff like the focus. However, I am not to "heavy" in the Yota scene, and do not know much about the new 4.0L V6, or how reliable the "electronic" shift on the fly tcases are.

Likes;
6spd
Toyotas Long Life Reputation
Loaded the way I want(or as close as possible) IS about 10K cheaper than the Ford(which isnt as close to optioned out as the Tacoma)

Dislike;
No hubs and Electric Tcase
Small Bed
Power output seems low to me for a 4.0L v6 at 238hp and 268ftlbs

I have test drove an Ecoboost several times, and even got to drive one before they were publicly available. I have not driven a new Tacoma but am planning to do so on Tuesday. Hopefully the have one with a 4.0L and a 6spd on the lot to be test driven. Have a feeling no matter what I decide that I will be ordering it from the manufacturer and not driving one of the lot.

Any info on peoples opinions of the newer Tacomas/4runners would be greatly appreciated. However please dont try and sell me on something else, as these are the 2 options I like, and have considered/looked at just about every other truck out there.

Tom
October 6th, 2013, 04:27 PM
I had a 92 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 V8 manual tranny. Hated it. Gutless wonder; terrible mpg. Maybe they're better now. Don't know.

colozj93
October 6th, 2013, 05:38 PM
I am not exactly a Ford fan but I cant knock there love. From what I have read the best option for you would be the F150. it seems to have all the needs you expressed and I know the new 6cyl isn't that bad of a motor. Have you looked into any of the SUV's they would keep you and all your gear dry while working and still get similar milage such as the explorer or durago. I am personaly a dodge fan and they two trucks have similar specs out of the 1500 class they 6cyl in the ram is decent and gets close to the same power and economy plus keeps you in the 8ft bed class

CS79bronco
October 6th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Last new 'Yota I had was ten years ago. Unless they have wised up, 3-400 lbs in the bed gives a lot of sag. Add Hellwig helpers and 1500 lbs rides good but rough empty. My son has a 2010 supercrew with the 5.4 3-valve getting 18/19 hiway & a great truck but not Ecoboost. I've heard there are problems with the Ecoboost trucks. Personally I would go with the new 5.0, talked to 2 or 3 guys who have them & love them. But I'm like you on the 6 speed, and if I were in your shoes I would definitely check out the 'Yota. It sounds like it would work great for you, and less money too.

zukrider
October 6th, 2013, 07:27 PM
id like to throw in the Frontier or Titan with Pro4x package. i think they compete or exceed a toyota. i stay away from american unless its 1 ton.

but

id also consider a lightly used truck. better price, just as good.

good luck with the choice.

ExplorerTom
October 6th, 2013, 07:55 PM
You're comparing an F-150 and a Tacoma? Shouldn't it be the Tundra instead? I mean, one full size truck to another and all.

My my brother inlaw has a 2011 F-150 ecoboost that he's piled the miles onto. It has like 70,000 miles without any issues. MPGs aren't quite what he was hoping for, but it does pretty well for a full sized truck. I took him up to Chinns Lake this summer and those 20" wheels are a bit out of sorts in the rocks.

i know a guy at work with a 2011-2012 Tundra. He drives in from Pine Junction to Roxbourough everyday and it's been trouble free for him.

personally, I'd go with the Ford.

The StRanger
October 6th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Dodge ..

dscowell
October 6th, 2013, 09:34 PM
For your work do you need the bed space alot? I pains me to say it but I would go with the Tacoma if the bed space and cab space isn't that big of an issue. The Tacoma is also quite a bit cheaper as well. I would think of it this way is money an issue? Do I need the large bed for work? What are options I must have? Cab space sounds like something that is important. If money isn't that big of a deal the F-150 may be the better choice: more space inside the cab and in the bed. I don't know what the MPGs are on either vehicle but if your traveling out of state I would check for sure! I would assume the Tacoma would have higher MPG sense it's a smaller lighter truck but I don't know enough about either to give you a very good educated guess. I would take all of this into consideration if you have not already when deciding on your decision but that's just me you will make the right pick for your needs.

However please dont try and sell me on something else, as these are the 2 options I like, and have considered/looked at just about every other truck out there.
:) Couple Comanches on Craigslist...

ExplorerTom
October 6th, 2013, 09:42 PM
The smaller/lighter doesn't always equate to better mpgs. My V6 Explorer in stock form got like 18-20 mpg. A full size truck with a V8 can get 22 mpg.

The StRanger
October 6th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Yup. Mine is the same way. My Ranger gets from 15 to 18.
Same year F150 or Supercrew gets the same mileage.
If it was for the space I would have got the fullsize..

Fordguy77
October 6th, 2013, 10:04 PM
You're comparing an F-150 and a Tacoma? Shouldn't it be the Tundra instead? I mean, one full size truck to another and all.

My my brother inlaw has a 2011 F-150 ecoboost that he's piled the miles onto. It has like 70,000 miles without any issues. MPGs aren't quite what he was hoping for, but it does pretty well for a full sized truck. I took him up to Chinns Lake this summer and those 20" wheels are a bit out of sorts in the rocks.

i know a guy at work with a 2011-2012 Tundra. He drives in from Pine Junction to Roxbourough everyday and it's been trouble free for him.

Ya I know the idea of comparing a full size to a light truck seems rather odd. However I am not comparing payloads, towing capacity, and power by numbers. It's more of a comparison between functionality, and practicality for daily commuting.
Tundras are just to expensive to get close to how I want them. The F150 and Tacoma are both loaded as close to they way I'd like and can get them for far cheaper than a tundra.

Fordguy77
October 6th, 2013, 10:14 PM

Ya I know the idea of comparing a full size to a light truck seems rather odd. However I am not comparing payloads, towing capacity, and power by numbers. It's more of a comparison between functionality, and practicality for daily commuting.
Tundras are just to expensive to get close to how I want them. The F150 and Tacoma are both loaded as close to they way I'd like and can get them for far cheaper than a tundra.

The StRanger
October 6th, 2013, 10:17 PM
I work at a Toyota dealership as a tech. They are good trucks. BUT
I bleed ford Blue...
I would get the Ford...

Fordguy77
October 6th, 2013, 10:29 PM
For your work do you need the bed space alot? I pains me to say it but I would go with the Tacoma if the bed space and cab space isn't that big of an issue. The Tacoma is also quite a bit cheaper as well. I would think of it this way is money an issue? Do I need the large bed for work? What are options I must have? Cab space sounds like something that is important. If money isn't that big of a deal the F-150 may be the better choice: more space inside the cab and in the bed. I don't know what the MPGs are on either vehicle but if your traveling out of state I would check for sure! I would assume the Tacoma would have higher MPG sense it's a smaller lighter truck but I don't know enough about either to give you a very good educated guess. I would take all of this into consideration if you have not already when deciding on your decision but that's just me you will make the right pick for your needs.

:) Couple Comanches on Craigslist...

Money isn't a too much of an issue as I have been saving for some quite time for this purchase. However cheaper is always better for the wallet. I only will utilize the bed space for 1-3 days to transport me and my stuff to the job then once there my tools stay at work and everything else goes into my hotel room. Jobs typically last 2-8 weeks and my need to haul things would just be for that limited amount of time. Seeing as how I've been managing this with a Focus, the bed space of a Tacoma would be more than adequate.
In a perfect world I would get a F150 with a 6spd manual with manual hubs and tcase. However it's not a perfect world and ford discontinued the manual transmission in the trucks a few years back. Hubs and tcase soon followed.
As far as options go, it could have none other than be 4x4 and I could care less. Never had power windows until a 2 years ago, and still don't really care for them.
That being said I did "spec" out each on the way that is closet to what I want(electronic rear locker, 4x4, extra cab) and the Yota comes in at 10k cheaper and has some extra stuff like a power inverter and a back up camera I'll never use.
As far as MPG go, both motors I have listed are claiming similar numbers so that doesn't seem to be a factor.

And for space all I really need is enough for me 1 other person and my dog, which both seem to have enough for on the cab. Never been a huge fan of hauling people around(Probably because I had party car in high school and got stuck driving large groups all the time. 4 door 1972 Plymouth fury easily enough room for 8+people comfortably not even cramped). And for heavy haul I have other trucks that can be used.

Currently in the fleet;
Trucks
70 F100 long bed
70 C20 long bed
77 f150 long bed
91 ranger supercab
98 dodge dakota extra cab

Suvs
84 4runner
84 fj60

Cars
72 Plymouth fury 4door
04 Svt focus

Fordguy77
October 6th, 2013, 10:34 PM
id like to throw in the Frontier or Titan with Pro4x package. i think they compete or exceed a toyota. i stay away from american unless its 1 ton.

but

id also consider a lightly used truck. better price, just as good.

good luck with the choice.
Not a huge nissan fan personally unless it's the old hard body's. My uncle had a Titan and traded it in for a Tundra, out of the 2 he had I personally like the tundra over the Titan. Also as odd as this is I still believe in made in American or same when can be had. Tacomas are assembled in Texas employing US workers. Much rather spend a dollar there than send it all over seas. This is also a belief in which I go out of my way to maintain and obide by.

Popsgarage
October 6th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Not a huge nissan fan personally unless it's the old hard body's. My uncle had a Titan and traded it in for a Tundra, out of the 2 he had I personally like the tundra over the Titan. Also as odd as this is I still believe in made in American or same when can be had. Tacomas are assembled in Texas employing US workers. Much rather spend a dollar there than send it all over seas. This is also a belief in which I go out of my way to maintain and obide by.

Same here!!!!!!!! I couldn't agree more!!!!!!!

zukrider
October 7th, 2013, 07:58 AM
All titans are built in Mississippi, and the last few years of frontiers are built in Tennessee. Just saying. I understand you have a preference. I usually do to. But I love the **** out of my Xterra. It's a good name in the hat. You might be surprised.

For made in America, I'm game. As long as its a worth while product. But for the auto industry, NOTHING competes with Japanese engineering. Especially since Toyota and Nissan are the world top 2. Taco's are awesome, I eyeball them everytime I drive by one. You will be happy with one. Being a ford guy, you might be happy with an EcoBoom, but there reliability has been proven as not so much.

ExplorerTom
October 7th, 2013, 09:54 AM
I'm assuming you're going to "tinker" with whatever you get. I have a hard time not tinkering.....

If that's true, what's the aftermarket look like for each? I'm assuming the Taco has a better aftermarket than the F-150. All too often in my case, I get a vehicle with a horrible aftermarket (I drive an Explorer- case in point).

And you mention the need to drive on the occassional trail. And while your Focus has been up to the task as of late, have there been any times where the trail just wasn't possible in the Focus? And where I'm going with this is that the F-150 is much wider than the Taco- could that be an issue for you?

I know I said earlier that I'd go with the Ford, but now I'm indicating more toward the Taco. I think either way, you're trying to decide between 2 really good trucks and you'll probably be happy with either one.

Chris
October 7th, 2013, 11:43 AM

I've heard the Tundra also doesn't have the resale value of smaller Yotas. I'm partial and have owned Yotas since the early 70's so my opinion is worth what you pay for it. ;) My only observation is that seeing you need to carry living gear for two or so weeks an enclosed 4Runner may be a better option that a open Taco.

Fordguy77
October 7th, 2013, 04:49 PM
I've heard the Tundra also doesn't have the resale value of smaller Yotas. I'm partial and have owned Yotas since the early 70's so my opinion is worth what you pay for it. ;) My only observation is that seeing you need to carry living gear for two or so weeks an enclosed 4Runner may be a better option that a open Taco.

You are indeed correct Chris. A 09 Tacoma with 50000 miles is worth $20k and had a sticker price around 30. A 09 Tundra with 50000 miles is worth $19k with a sticker price in the mid 40s.

I'm assuming you're going to "tinker" with whatever you get. I have a hard time not tinkering.....

If that's true, what's the aftermarket look like for each? I'm assuming the Taco has a better aftermarket than the F-150. All too often in my case, I get a vehicle with a horrible aftermarket (I drive an Explorer- case in point).

And you mention the need to drive on the occassional trail. And while your Focus has been up to the task as of late, have there been any times where the trail just wasn't possible in the Focus? And where I'm going with this is that the F-150 is much wider than the Taco- could that be an issue for you?

I know I said earlier that I'd go with the Ford, but now I'm indicating more toward the Taco. I think either way, you're trying to decide between 2 really good trucks and you'll probably be happy with either one.

As much as I love tinkering, the new rig will remain very close to stock form for at least 5 years because of warranties and other issues. Aside from that I'm trying to get out of the habit of having to tinker on the rig I am about to go jump in to, to drive to work the next day. I could always use one of the old trucks, or cars, but they aren't exactly something that would be half way economical to drive across the country, let alone trust. Most of them abide by the 6 hour rule. Meaning they never get more than 6 hours from home. Typically these trails I am found driving on are a cross between a goat trail, or something you would see in the Baja 1000. The foci has always made it, however it has taken its toll and caused premature wear of the suspension, which Ive replaced 3 times in the last 60K(In 2 years mind you).

I know the feeling of owning vehicles with a bad aftermarket. Before your arrival on this board, i was a proud RBV enthusiast with no aftermarket support. Had 2 different Bronco IIs, My Ranger, and 2 Different Explorers, 1 was TTB and 1 was IFS. Then I bought a FJ60, which i learned after the fact it has one of the lowest aftermarkets out of all the yotas. So it wasn't much better off.

The after markets really appear to be about the same, with the ford lagging slightly behind but not far.

Im supposed to test drive a tacoma tomorrow with the 4.0L and a 6spd. So we'll see how it goes. From a $$$ point the Tacoma is looking better and better.

This is what I am trying to avoid having to do over and over in all honestly-

Squshiee1
October 7th, 2013, 09:22 PM
There is really no need for an suv to keep everything out of the weather, you can pick up a topper for a decent price.

Fordguy77
October 8th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Just got home from the Yota dealership. The test drive went well, and I ended up deciding that I want one.
Placed an order tonight for a 2014 Tacoma Access Cab, with the 4.0l V6 with the 6Spd, with the TRD Off Road Package, wrapped in Blue Ribbon Metallic.
6 weeks cant go fast enough.

javaman34
October 8th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Oh man. With a name like Fordboy and your getting a Toyota, you're breaking my heart dude. :frown: 50 lashes with a wet noodle.:funrover: LOL

Jim
October 8th, 2013, 09:39 PM
:eek: Maybe there's a screen name change coming up!

Congrats on the truck!

Chris
October 8th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Congrats Chris, you'll be very happy with the Taco. For those that don't know Chris may be Fordboy but this isn't his only Yota!

Fordguy77
October 8th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Congrats Chris, you'll be very happy with the Taco. For those that don't know Chris may be Fordboy but this isn't his only Yota!
I do have a bit of a secret addiction. Good thing my ford to yota ratio is still pretty high!

The StRanger
October 8th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Just got home from the Yota dealership. The test drive went well, and I ended up deciding that I want one.
Placed an order tonight for a 2014 Tacoma Access Cab, with the 4.0l V6 with the 6Spd, with the TRD Off Road Package, wrapped in Blue Ribbon Metallic.
6 weeks cant go fast enough.
Veeery nice choice. I realy like the Toyo Blue !!! And a 6 speed, Nice !!

Fordguy77
October 8th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Oh man. With a name like Fordboy and your getting a Toyota, you're breaking my heart dude. :frown: 50 lashes with a wet noodle.:funrover: LOL
Well I figure I have enough fords to balance it all out.
70 F100
77 F150
79 Bronco
91 Ranger
04 Foucs

and everything but the tub of a 73 Bronco.

The StRanger
October 8th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Iv had 2 mazda's
Not a big thing !!

Fordguy77
October 8th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Veeery nice choice. I realy like the Toyo Blue !!! And a 6 speed, Nice !!
The 6spd was a big selling point to me. I like being in control. Not a huge fan of autos, people say it will change in time. But I only see that happening as auto makers are making it harder and harder to get a standard.

The StRanger
October 8th, 2013, 10:19 PM
The 6spd was a big selling point to me. I like being in control. Not a huge fan of autos, people say it will change in time. But I only see that happening as auto makers are making it harder and harder to get a standard.

Always love a clutch. just not for crawling...

CS79bronco
October 8th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Congrats Chris! I think you will love it for a long time.

Geno
October 9th, 2013, 02:04 AM
Hi Chris, I agree you bought correct, my Tacoma has been my most trouble free truck I have ever owned. Even with the super charger. For every day to work and hauling light loads under 750 lbs. my Tacoma has never let me down. There are chips and tuner stuff out for the 4.0 L Tacoma's if you want some more power at a decent cost. Ratio here is 2 Toyotas ( 1 from Japan and 1 from Canada), 1 Chevy, 1 Jeep, 1 Ford, 1 Nissan , and 1 Mazda. Trying all I guess.. Stop by when you are down here in town.:woot:

ExplorerTom
October 9th, 2013, 08:55 AM
The 6spd was a big selling point to me. I like being in control.

For me, I agree- but only to a point. A manual in a vehicle that isn't very sporty (like say truck/SUV or boring car) isn't very fun and working the clutch gets old (for me anyway). I'd rather have an auto- I recently sold my Saturn VUE with a manual and got a Mariner with an auto and I couldn't be happier. But in something where you can heel-toe down shift and use engine braking to help shift weight to set up for a corner and actually take the corner with confidence instead of reckless abandon is tons of fun. I've never been able to heel-toe well in a truck/SUV and I think it's because of the seating position- and the long throw of the gear shift screws up my timing from a quicker flick in a car.

That blue is the best color I've seen on a Taco.

Congratulations on the truck.

Squshiee1
October 9th, 2013, 10:22 AM
A manual felt sporty in my 86 f150, but not quite as sporty as my 89 accord.

pictaker
October 9th, 2013, 10:44 AM
I may be biased but I would go with the Tacoma. I love mine and do not have ONE complaint in the 6 years that I have owned it. The aftermarket stuff is plenty if you decide to go that way in the future. Resale for the Tacoma is incredible, my 07' has over 115K and still going strong. Just had the water pump replaced so I'm good for another 100K at least. Good luck in your decision!

pictaker
October 9th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Congrats, just saw this after posting my opinion! Welcome to the YOTA family, you wont be dissapointed!

Tom
October 9th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Sounds sweet.

carpenle
October 9th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Always love a clutch. just not for crawling...

Is a automatic better for crawling then a standard?

Fordguy77
October 9th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Is a automatic better for crawling then a standard?
It's more a matter of preference than which is actually better. It's easier to start and have suttle throttle control. However with a stick you have better selection of your crawling gear as well as if the front end gets light it's very easy to push the clutch in and row back instead of having to shift. Pros and cons to both everyone has a preference mines a standard.

Fordguy77
October 9th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Personally I just have a unjustified hatred of automatics. All the Autos I've ever owned have all been in cars typically twice my age. Meaning they leaked like a water fall and or just decided to go out for no reason. I enjoy being able to climb hills in mountains and being able to pick my own gear, instead of letting autos hunt for one. I know they've come along way, and are much better. However I just like the control of a manual better. Plus they are typically easier to bypass safety features with.

Clickpopboom
October 9th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Working in a body shop has allowed me to see several of both vehicles, and I would take the Ford hands down. Main reason being is that the Toyota has a plastic bed, which does not like being loaded with heavy, sharp-edged cargo.

The StRanger
October 9th, 2013, 11:18 PM
I cant really remember ever seeing a bed problem on a Taco.
And yes Im a Ford man. If you cu me I bleed blue
But in a full size (include diesel) Id take a dodge !!!

dscowell
October 10th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Rock on! Make sure to post some pictures when you get it.:)

Fordguy77
October 12th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Every new truck deserves a new Pup.
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/p480x480/1378040_10202257848674362_1947328698_n.jpghttps://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/p480x480/1395908_412026058899579_1301374717_n.jpg

The StRanger
October 12th, 2013, 11:31 PM
You know what happens with puppy's

They grow into dogs !!!

The StRanger
October 12th, 2013, 11:33 PM
He (and or she ) is a cute little snot !!

xaza
October 13th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Congrats on the new toy and new partner. Nice looking pup. Breed? Rescue?

Rob
October 13th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Every new truck deserves a new Pup.

Shouldn't you have a herd of dogs by now? :D

Cute pup.

ILuvtheMountains
October 15th, 2013, 09:55 AM
I am really interested in the new fords, but I have had my Taco for almost 2 years now and I have loved it every day. I wheel it pretty hard and drive it daily. MPGs are not great, but you don't get great mileage in a truck. If You would have been open to suggestions I would have recommended a Subaru. AWD, mileage, storage space (if you get a hatch/wagon), but they aren't for everyone.
You will love the Taco, the color and trim level you chose are great!
I have never had an issue with the bed being damaged, and you don't have to worry about the plastic rusting. THe 4.0 (as you know by now) is pretty strong and only gets better with the addition of the TRD supercharger. If you ever have any questions or anything, let me know. If you want to see my build thread, I have a condensed version here at http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?18638-The-Mountain-Man-Limousine or my full version over at TacomaWorld http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/222390-mountain-man-limousine-nativetacos-build.html

AdventureReady
October 15th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Great choice! Even though I drive a Tacoma, I'm not partial. I really wanted a Raptor, but it was way out of my price range and the F-150 was just too much truck for what I needed it for. Love the choices you made.
The only issues I've had with my truck I've learned to love. I really wanted blue, but settled on white (I love the white now though), I'd prefer a manual t-case, and the long bed only came with automatic (I'm glad I have the auto just cause of the miles I drive per year).

Fordguy77
October 27th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Shouldn't you have a herd of dogs by now? :D

Cute pup.

Congrats on the new toy and new partner. Nice looking pup. Breed? Rescue?

He (and or she ) is a cute little snot !!
Her name is Vixen, and she is a pure breed Australian Shepard. This last year was hard on me when I had to put both my Border Collie/Aussie Mix and Lab down. However with landing a semi long term job in town and everything else going on in my life(looking for a house, getting my first "real" new car etc) I decided it was time to get another pup. She did come from a breeder, and not a rescue. Mainly because she'll be used in tandem with my horses on occasion, so her genetics and heridtary background were somewhat important to have.

Fordguy77
October 27th, 2013, 02:51 PM
I am really interested in the new fords, but I have had my Taco for almost 2 years now and I have loved it every day. I wheel it pretty hard and drive it daily. MPGs are not great, but you don't get great mileage in a truck. If You would have been open to suggestions I would have recommended a Subaru. AWD, mileage, storage space (if you get a hatch/wagon), but they aren't for everyone.
You will love the Taco, the color and trim level you chose are great!
I have never had an issue with the bed being damaged, and you don't have to worry about the plastic rusting. THe 4.0 (as you know by now) is pretty strong and only gets better with the addition of the TRD supercharger. If you ever have any questions or anything, let me know. If you want to see my build thread, I have a condensed version here at http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?18638-The-Mountain-Man-Limousine or my full version over at TacomaWorld http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/222390-mountain-man-limousine-nativetacos-build.html

Great choice! Even though I drive a Tacoma, I'm not partial. I really wanted a Raptor, but it was way out of my price range and the F-150 was just too much truck for what I needed it for. Love the choices you made.
The only issues I've had with my truck I've learned to love. I really wanted blue, but settled on white (I love the white now though), I'd prefer a manual t-case, and the long bed only came with automatic (I'm glad I have the auto just cause of the miles I drive per year).

Thanks for the input and feedback. I considered Subarus, however they weren't much different than what I was already using, and still a little to low to the ground for what I need for work. The 4.0L seems like a pretty good match to the Tacoma, but I do wish it had a little more. Eventually after the warranty runs out, it will probably get the super charger, and an upgraded exhaust and some other goodies. But for now it will make a great weekend rig, and if need be Daily Driver for work. Since I posted this originally as my DD, two of my other rigs are all but resurrected from the dead now, and will probably end up my DD until the rangers finally going.

The lack of a longer bed, kind of did put me off, but I figure with 3 other full size trucks its not really that big of an issue. I too loved the raptor but for the money I couldn't beat the Yota. And as weird as it sounds I just don't enjoy driving automatics, even when I was driving 30k a year+ In traffic and wide open road I had to have my manual. So that is what won me over with the Tacoma. I too would prefer a manual T-case, and have already started looking into the FJ Cruiser swap, but as mentioned before, it would be highly unlikely to see any mods on mine until the warranty is over.

When I was at the stealership they kept trying to sell me a 4 door trd with the auto in white and one in gray. After about a half hour of them trying to sell me a truck I didn't want they realized that I wasn't going to walk out of there with something I didn't get exactly the way I wanted. And finally went about seeing if they could custom order it for me. For me its too much money to spend and not walk away with what I want.

Fordguy77
October 27th, 2013, 02:52 PM
The new ride was also issued a VIN number mid last week :)

Heather
October 27th, 2013, 06:01 PM
This is super exciting. Congrats on the new truck. We had a 2010 F-150, and my husband hated how flimsy everything was on it. He said it was like a coke can. He traded it in on the 2011 JKU we have now...which got nearly totaled (we're not sure yet) by being rear-ended by a F-250 in Boulder on September 30th. The Ford had to be hauled away on a flatbed - Chris drove the JKU home. While getting estimates, Chris noticed several F-150s in the shops. He asked one of the body shop guys about it, and he said that they replace a lot of frames on F-150s because they bend (or whatever) comparatively very easily. More reinforcement for not choosing a late-model F-150. I really liked our truck, too, but am glad that we don't still have it, after learning that.

Beefy
October 27th, 2013, 06:19 PM
This is super exciting. Congrats on the new truck. We had a 2010 F-150, and my husband hated how flimsy everything was on it. He said it was like a coke can. He traded it in on the 2011 JKU we have now...which got nearly totaled (we're not sure yet) by being rear-ended by a F-250 in Boulder on September 30th. The Ford had to be hauled away on a flatbed - Chris drove the JKU home. While getting estimates, Chris noticed several F-150s in the shops. He asked one of the body shop guys about it, and he said that they replace a lot of frames on F-150s because they bend (or whatever) comparatively very easily. More reinforcement for not choosing a late-model F-150. I really liked our truck, too, but am glad that we don't still have it, after learning that.

That's good to know. I pick up my new F-150 tomorrow. :D

Great choice on a truck. The Tacomas are awesome.

Heather
October 27th, 2013, 06:32 PM
That's good to know. I pick up my new F-150 tomorrow. :D

:erm: Ack!! Sorry!!!!! I LOVED our truck, really!!

Beefy
October 27th, 2013, 06:36 PM
:erm: Ack!! Sorry!!!!! I LOVED our truck, really!!

Haha! It's fine. Most trucks (and cars in general) are like that nowadays. I've had an F150 before (an '08). I have insurance. :D

Fordguy77
November 9th, 2013, 03:14 PM
So 3-6 weeks somehow turned into late December. It's build date is scheduled at Dec 9 and I should be able to take possession right around Christmas.