PDA

View Full Version : the never ending battle to rejuvenate the ride

SubAlpine
October 19th, 2013, 06:24 PM
I bought my 4runner in march with 218k. I have been slowly, as money and time dictate, replacing neglected parts. All fluids changed, drive line greased. Added tow points from a ford f150(beefiest on the market), energy suspension sway bar and end link bushings. New end links, rear shocks, front break pads. Plugs, wires and COP's. Then, on top of Rollins Pass, terrible squeaking from the front wheel area. Figured it was my sway bar bushings needing a little grease, so got her home, and got under her. Greased the drive line and sway bars again. No change. Had to replace a zerk on the drive shaft. Took a close look at the front end, and both lower ball joints were dripping grease colored water. Not good.
So I replaced the LBJ's inner and outer tie rods. Not as scary as I thought. And, bam, this problem solved. Drives so much better. One inner tie rod was nearly seized. Takes alot of force to move it. The grease that is left is lumpy, and iron colored. I guess 225k is too many miles.

Next up, timing belt.
I have probably saved $1000+ dollars on labor alone.

Just had to brag.

Patrolman
October 19th, 2013, 06:31 PM
I bet you actually saved more than that in labor. The timing belt can be a chore. Make sure you do your homework as to what else should be inspected or replaced at the same time. Congrats on all the other work!

javaman34
October 19th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Definately saved more than a $1000. Good luck on the rest of it.

94ToyBear
October 19th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Sounds like a fun day !

Brad
October 20th, 2013, 07:11 AM
The money I have saved working on my disco has got to be in the thousands. Knowing your own rig inside and out is priceless. Way to go! :thumb:

SubAlpine
October 20th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Thanks everyone! It feels good, because I have never been good at wrenching on stuff. Went for a drive today and it feels like the steering stuff I replaced did TONS of good. This persistent steering rattle/shake that has been annoying and at times scary. I had been replacing things trying to get to it, just did not want to admit it was the 'hard' stuff. So much better, ready for the fall clean up run!

Squshiee1
October 21st, 2013, 07:36 PM
I should start a thread like this about my rodeo the first page would just be repairs and the time/ money that i saved by doing them myself!
Timing Belt x2, power steering, Alternator x5, cv joint x2, water pump x3, Valve cover seals, just to name a few! Just the seals and a stupid coolant line took me 18 hours, i have at least 50 hours into this car thus far just for repairs. And now that i have fixed everything the motor seized! YAY!

Seems like you will have a solid little truck after you're done though! I am never going read this thread again, it brings back to many bad memories :mad: ! lol

Popsgarage
October 22nd, 2013, 01:37 AM
And now that i have fixed everything the motor seized! YAY!

Finally died, ehh Chase??????

Squshiee1
October 22nd, 2013, 10:43 AM
Yup, clack clack clack, BANG! Currently waiting to get a trailer to tow it down to arvada and yank the old motor out!

The StRanger
October 22nd, 2013, 09:41 PM
LT1 ??