PDA

View Full Version : Axle shim confusion

ctracy5
October 23rd, 2013, 01:23 AM
Hey guys I got most of my parts in, the rest show up Thursday. I got my new lift shackles in and I was going to put in my axle shims and that is were I am stuck.

The way I understand it is that you need to remove the center pin of the leaf pack and use that to attach the shim to the the leaf pack (in my case on the top due to my spring under set up). This is where my problem is, the holes in the shims are bigger then the head on my center pins???? so the pin would just slide through and not hold the shim in place. Am I crazy or is this wrong, so if I install them now the center pin would hold the shim in place in the hole but would no longer be holding the axle in place, the head is shorter then the shim so it doesn't stick out the top to go into the hole in the bottom of the leaf perch. Is this set up ok or do I need to get shims with smaller holes so the center pin can still go into the hole in the leaf perch?

I did read somewhere that the Rubicon Express shims works as long as I get the 2.5" wide ones so if I do need new shims I can get them from Serious Offroad I would just need to make sure and get the right center pins for my springs. I would just be mad that I paid $30 bucks plus shipping for parts the don't work.

Popsgarage
October 23rd, 2013, 01:27 AM
That sucks. While it's not the best solution, you could place a thin washer between the center pin and the shim so the shim wouldn't move. Or send 'em back and get whomever you purchased them from to refund your money.

Cr33p3r
October 23rd, 2013, 09:23 AM
The shims I have used in the past had a pin on the top and a hole on the bottom side for the leaf pack's pin to fit into but those were on Fords.

ctracy5
October 23rd, 2013, 11:11 AM
That sucks. While it's not the best solution, you could place a thin washer between the center pin and the shim so the shim wouldn't move. Or send 'em back and get whomever you purchased them from to refund your money.

I have to call them assuming I would be responsible for shipping I may just call it a loss vs. paying to reship them.

Popsgarage
October 23rd, 2013, 11:17 AM
Did the shims come with the kit or did you buy them separately???? If they came with the kit, the supplier should take care of the responsibility. After all, they should supply you with parts that work together. If ordered from a different supplier, I could see why you might have to eat the cost.

ctracy5
October 23rd, 2013, 11:35 AM
Well I just got off the phone with them, we talk about a few different things, I think for now because I need to get on the road I am going to run with these ones. They are designed to just sit over the center pin and be held in place when you blot the u-bolts back on. I trust the guys at this shop (hopfully it doesn't bite me in the a$$). They have been running these on trooper and other small trucks in Va for a long time with no issues, and not having to take my leaf packs apart sounds nice. I do have to admit most of the post I read talking about cracking aluminum ones where driving full size rigs so I think I will be fine, and if not I will replace them later.

otisdog
October 23rd, 2013, 03:39 PM
That makes sense.
Jim

xaza
October 23rd, 2013, 04:25 PM
The shims for my Jeep you have to take centering pin out and the shim bolts into the pack with centering pin. That leaves the head of centering pin for going into the axle just like without the shim. Hope it works out for you.

ctracy5
October 23rd, 2013, 06:26 PM
The shims for my Jeep you have to take centering pin out and the shim bolts into the pack with centering pin. That leaves the head of centering pin for going into the axle just like without the shim. Hope it works out for you.

So do I lol. Like I said I trust the guys at Indys opinions because they really know theses troopers and if I have problems I can always switch to the rub express ones later, but I need to get this thing out of my garage.

i threw a coat of primer and enamel paint on them and will try to get my rear end done tonight after work. Then my upper ball joints and new cv will get here tomorrow. Pics to come soon.

Robert B
October 23rd, 2013, 08:04 PM
this style of shim has been around for a long time and it seems to be a personal preference on which kind is better so it is up to you