PDA

View Full Version : First Trail Carnage with Samurai

Officer_Hood
October 30th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Took the dog out for a non technical wheeling trip that got a little technical. I can never resist the temptation!:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr8QxndBoTU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1v6zdf9mqk

carpenle
October 30th, 2013, 08:35 AM
What did the dog think about it? Looks really tippy.

Officer_Hood
October 30th, 2013, 02:48 PM
What did the dog think about it? Looks really tippy.

She wasn't impressed! She did stay in (standing on the side of the bed) until I told her she could get out though. It was completely on it's side at the worst of it.

ctracy5
October 30th, 2013, 05:55 PM
What was the fluid and chunk of whatever left behind? Hope the Sami is alright.

Officer_Hood
October 31st, 2013, 01:05 AM
What was the fluid and chunk of whatever left behind? Hope the Sami is alright.

The "chunk" was the remote for my camera. The fluid was from the transmission. It pukes fluid whenever it is at an extreme angle for some reason. It's leaking from the top somewhere. I took my son out the next day and had another mishap. the video is loading now.

Robert B
October 31st, 2013, 01:13 AM
don't break it all in one week :) but must be cool to be able to just push it back over from its side ... doubt I could do that with mine

Popsgarage
October 31st, 2013, 01:26 AM
Next time you'll get it. What's the old adage? If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!!!!!!!

Officer_Hood
October 31st, 2013, 03:14 AM
don't break it all in one week :) but must be cool to be able to just push it back over from its side ... doubt I could do that with mine

It is nice to have such a light rig, but there are times when I would like to have your wheelbase!

Officer_Hood
October 31st, 2013, 03:18 AM
Next time you'll get it. What's the old adage? If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!!!!!!!

Absolutely Jonathan! I conquered much worse the following day, but I did end up on my side again. The nice thing about a Samurai is it doesn't take much to get them back on the wheels again. All I used was a come-along, ratchet strap, and a high-lift jack to get it upright again.

Dutch
October 31st, 2013, 07:50 AM
The Samurai is cool. I love those little beasts. One day I'll get another one to make a buggy out of.

Officer_Hood
October 31st, 2013, 12:43 PM
The Samurai is cool. I love those little beasts. One day I'll get another one to make a buggy out of.

That's the plan with mine Richard. As the body gets tore up and cut out I will replace it with tubing until it's all tubing. At the rate I'm going it wont be long!

Officer_Hood
October 31st, 2013, 01:05 PM
I got much better video the following day, since my son was with me. We flopped it on it's side! Here is the link to those videos: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?20136-Rangely-Off-Road-Park-s-quot-Godzilla-quot-Trail

Dutch
October 31st, 2013, 02:36 PM
VW Diesel swap, 3-link front, 4-link rear, Toyota axles, 35's, and a 103" WB is what I want on a samurai. It'll all work perfectly in my head. :D

Officer_Hood
October 31st, 2013, 03:40 PM
VW Diesel swap, 3-link front, 4-link rear, Toyota axles, 35's, and a 103" WB is what I want on a samurai. It'll all work perfectly in my head. :D

All I need to have what you listed id the Diesel, which I want too, and the wheelbase. Right now I'm sitting at 85" which I would like to lengthen!

Dutch
October 31st, 2013, 03:45 PM
Awesome man, sounds like a sweet setup.

Officer_Hood
October 31st, 2013, 04:03 PM
Awesome man, sounds like a sweet setup.

I just put up some videos of the last few days: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/...lla-quot-Trail (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?20136-Rangely-Off-Road-Park-s-quot-Godzilla-quot-Trail)

BLOODBANE
October 31st, 2013, 11:13 PM
Im gonna go with the 1.6 16v, 3spd auto and around 100" WB with Scout 44 axles on my 86 convertible sammi. I have a 87 TinTop that I have a 6" SPOA,6.5:1 T-Case (with a "snatch" cradle), 1.6 16v, on 32's that I use as my DD. As for my buggy I have the axles and will probably go with the TrailTough coil/link set up. Still looking for a Tracker with the 1.6 and 3sp. I lucked out with the engine for my TT. I bought a wrecked 94 Sidekick, and we ended up selling around 1300.00 in parts off of it (only paid 550.00 for it to begin with). The best part of these things is how simple they are.

Looks like some beadlocks may be in store for you if you keep going on those non-technical runs.

Officer_Hood
October 31st, 2013, 11:33 PM
Im gonna go with the 1.6 16v, 3spd auto and around 100" WB with Scout 44 axles on my 86 convertible sammi. I have a 87 TinTop that I have a 6" SPOA,6.5:1 T-Case (with a "snatch" cradle), 1.6 16v, on 32's that I use as my DD. As for my buggy I have the axles and will probably go with the TrailTough coil/link set up. Still looking for a Tracker with the 1.6 and 3sp. I lucked out with the engine for my TT. I bought a wrecked 94 Sidekick, and we ended up selling around 1300.00 in parts off of it (only paid 550.00 for it to begin with). The best part of these things is how simple they are.

Looks like some beadlocks may be in store for you if you keep going on those non-technical runs.

LoL! Yeah Mark, I want bead locks and 6.1:1 gears with a Diesel. I think power steering will need to be in the near future too!

Funrover
November 1st, 2013, 01:16 AM
Looks like some fun likes! Thanks for the vid. Good luck with the leak!

Officer_Hood
November 1st, 2013, 02:11 AM
Looks like some fun likes! Thanks for the vid. Good luck with the leak!

Thanks Aaron! I heard something about a plastic piece on top of the transmission that is prone to leaking and can even pop out completely. I bet it's popped out. I just have to research where it's at and how to get to it.

carpenle
November 1st, 2013, 09:50 AM
The fast forward when you are getting it turned over is really cool. I wish I had that park in my back yard to.

Officer_Hood
November 1st, 2013, 01:17 PM
The fast forward when you are getting it turned over is really cool. I wish I had that park in my back yard to.

It is nice Levi, but it gets old going alone all the time. I literally never see anyone else when I'm out. There are allot of people in Rangely with rigs, but none of them seem to use them, at least not here.

carpenle
November 1st, 2013, 01:34 PM
Is that something you have to pay to use or is it free?

BLOODBANE
November 1st, 2013, 01:55 PM
LoL! Yeah Mark, I want bead locks and 6.1:1 gears with a Diesel. I think power steering will need to be in the near future too!
For wheeling I would honestly go with hydro or the Toyota box. I run the Sidekick PS and sometimes it seems to be wanting. It works better than the armstrong version, but it could be a little more. I could go with another pump, and it would help, but on the buggy I will go full hydro (I want to run 38's on it).

Officer_Hood
November 1st, 2013, 02:41 PM
Is that something you have to pay to use or is it free?

It's free to all!

For wheeling I would honestly go with hydro or the Toyota box. I run the Sidekick PS and sometimes it seems to be wanting. It works better than the armstrong version, but it could be a little more. I could go with another pump, and it would help, but on the buggy I will go full hydro (I want to run 38's on it).

I am looking into the Toyota setup.