PDA

View Full Version : Powerstroke questions.

AccordRanger
December 2nd, 2013, 06:12 PM
So since I am starting a new job and going to be driving to Wyoming a lot I've been thinking about picking up a truck soon.
Been wanting a 99-07 250 or 350 powerstoke. So far everyone I find that I really like is a 6.0. Are these really as bad as everyone seems to say?
Can you make them reliable? Going to try to find one that's 100% stock.
Looking for a crew cab would like to get one with all the luxuries.
What are the pros and cons to the 7.3 and 6.0, fuel mileage. Anything else you can think of is appreciated.

SubAlpine
December 2nd, 2013, 06:58 PM
They are reliable in stock trim. Everyone who I have known with an issue, had power upgrades. The 7.3 was such a build able beast people are used to throwing power at them, and the 6.0 is just not built to do that. I hear anything after 2006.5 was "fixed".

scout man
December 2nd, 2013, 06:59 PM
I have a 7.3 and love it. My neighbor had a 6.0 and absolutely hated it. Said it cost him a fortune to fix it all the time, and the engine bay was so cluttered it was really hard to work on. He said the power sucked too, that his half ton truck with a gas engine could out pull it. My 7.3 pulled a forklift down the road the other day, total curb weight of the truck and load was about 25,000#s. (shhh, don't tell anyone). It took it like a champ and I drove it to work the next day. It was definitely way to heavy of a load for the truck, but it hauled it with no problem. My point - if it were me I would hold out for the 7.3L personally. They are still out there and available, just need to be patient. I found mine with some work done to it, 161,xxx miles with the (rare) manual transmission for $14k. A buddy just bought a stock manual with 250,xxx and decently well used for $6k, just as a reference point. Let me know if you have any questions about them!

gm4x4lover
December 2nd, 2013, 11:49 PM
The 6.0's are junk. Stay away from the 6.4's too. We have a fleet of trucks and most of them are 6.0's. Ithink we have done a motor in every single truck and a few of them have had too. I love my 7.3 i wouldn't trade it for any modern day diesel.

94ToyBear
December 3rd, 2013, 12:26 AM
Go with a cummins.

Popsgarage
December 3rd, 2013, 02:29 AM
'91 to mid '98 Dodge with the Cummins 6BT. Manual injection, intercooled and capable of 500,000 or better miles when properly maintained. And could pull a mobile home down the road. Just don't ask it to stop the damn thing. And if tuned right, there are guys claiming almost 50 MPG. Don't know if I believe that or not, but I do know some guys that can get almost 30 MPG out of theirs.

redneck23ms
December 3rd, 2013, 06:19 AM
6.0s are definitely junk. even stock ones with no mods are junk. have had several friends with them and nothing but problems. dodges are definitely the way to go for a diesel. the trucks themselves aren't as nice as the fords but the powerplant makes up for that to me. i have heard alot of the mileage claims as well but 20-22 is more realistic. maybe a little better if its empty and only highway miles and you keep the speeds reasonable.

Dutch
December 3rd, 2013, 07:10 AM
I actually think the 6.0L is a plenty good engine if you treat it appropriately. Change the oil regularly with quality oil and filters, oil contamination is the leading cause of issue with any HEUI fuel system. Don't chip the thing and your head gaskets will be fine. Biggest thing outside of that is either an EGR delete or bypass system. Bullet Proof Diesel has all the stuff you need to really make the 6.0l shine. You can also get them for a lot cheaper than a Cummins and will have a better transmission and truck for it.

I agree reed that the 6.4L is junk and I do prefer the 7.3 over the 6.0, but they're getting older and harder to come by with decent miles and at a reasonable price. I've been a diesel mechanic for 12yrs now and would not have any problem buying a 6.0L. That said, look at a Duramax. They run good, are quiet, don't have issues with the cold, and every 2500 I've been around (left completely stock) get 17mpg easily on the highway. That's actual calculates mileage. They also ride nicer and have a bullet proof Allison transmission.

AccordRanger
December 3rd, 2013, 08:09 AM
I'm probably going to stick to Ford. I like having a solid axle up front. And I like the comfort better.
On most of the 7.3s I find they have anywhere from 150k-200k average miles. How long do they usually last? Would it be worth it to pick up?

96blkbeauty
December 3rd, 2013, 08:11 AM
You can actually get into a lot of 6.0's cheaper then you can a 7.3. As stated above, with proper maintenance, and a few other things, you can make them "bulletproof"...or so i've heard.

I'm a die hard Ford fan...always have been. But not enough to rule out the Cummins and the D-max. From what i've seen, the D-max's don't have nearly the following that the other two do, but a lot of that has to do with the IFS in the front of them. Unless you're going to be doing some serious mods to it, it will be fine. Better road manners, too.

I can't wait to get into a diesel. In another year or two....

carpenle
December 3rd, 2013, 11:38 AM
I have had several 7.3's and have had nothing major go wrong. My best friend had a stock 04 6.0 and had nothing but problems with it. Had the ficm go out 3 times, had to replace a turbo, head gaskets and studs, and other sensors. The 6.0 was not designed to be in a pickup truck with all of the emission controls. If you can I would go with a 7.3. I have 250k on my 97 and my buddy has 400k on his. Avg mpg for me is 17 in the summer and 14-15 in the winter. I also like the 5.9 cummins, but think the rest of the Dodge is made cheaply.

Haku
December 3rd, 2013, 11:52 AM
A buddy just bought a stock manual with 250,xxx and decently well used for $6k, just as a reference point.

You know I'm on here right :p

Like Steve said, I just got one for a fairly decent price a couple days ago. Mine is more on the beater/utility truck level, and had a few problems, but nothing that wasn't relatively easy to fix or just deal with. I got it almost purely as a tow rig, so a beat up body isn't really a big deal to me. I definitely saw lots of decent trucks out there in the $10-12k range during my search though.

I guess I would put the 7.3 vs. 6.0 debate down to the fact that with the 7.3 many of the problems don't occur, and while I'm sure you could make a 6.0 work with extra care and attention, if it takes less effort then it is worth going with the better option. There isn't really any tradeoffs to it beyond them being a little bit harder to find and a little bit more expensive.

There are a bunch of the 7.3 trucks out there with Automatics, and a few with the Manual at varying price levels. Rather then searching for "F250", I started using "Powerstroke 7.3 Manual" in my searches on Craigslist and that seemed to turn more relevant ads up. Oh, and FWIW, the F250 and 350 seem to be nearly identical with only minor differences in gearing in the axles and maybe heavier springs, so I wouldn't worry about which you end up getting too much.

That said, I love these trucks for doing work and pulling stuff, but I'm not I would want to use it as a commuter vehicle unless you were hauling stuff back and forth every day.

As for the Cummins vs. Duramax vs. Powerstroke debate, I think that will be a contentious topic among truck guys until the end of time and is more down to personal preference. I was going back and forther between all of these for a while too, but settled on the Ford because I like how the fuel system works and that it doesn't need super expensive injection pumps and stuff to work. No question that both the Duramax and Cummins are good engines though, despite varying reviews all over the internet.

ctracy5
December 3rd, 2013, 01:00 PM
I have used several 7.3s for landscaping both here and Washington and loved them all. Our current truck have about 250,000 and the motor is great other then needing glow plugs, the transmission on the other hand has been going for about a year but is holding on. Every time we run into contractors in parking lots or gas stations with new fords they all comment on how they wish they hadn't sold their old 7.3.

I have never had a 6.0 so take this as you will, the guy who lives next to where we store our trailers is a darn good mechanic and believes the engine is a decent engine with a few killer design flaws, most of which are with the oil and cooling systems. There are kits online (don't know where but should be easy to find) that fix these problems. His opinion was if you can get a stock one for a good price that has not had problems yet, key words there, and get these kits to fix it ($3500 or so) you can get a very reliable truck. But make sure that they have not already overheated or had any of the other issue because typical once they start they damage more then is worth fixing.

Funrover
December 3rd, 2013, 01:18 PM
Stay away from the 6.0!! I'm not saying that just because I have a huge Cummins fan. They are a lot of trouble. I have many customers who make a good living on repairing those trucks. Good luck with whatever you go!

AccordRanger
December 4th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Thanks guys. I'm going to try to find me a good 7.3. Just not easy to find a 02-03 fully loaded. :lmao:
I plan on doing more that just commuting with it. Going to be getting a trailer so I can start hauling the Subaru to the track when I go just incase something happens to it or one of my buddy's cars. Also planning on doing some scrapping in my free time so having the power will be nice.
What are some other good states near by to look for trucks in?

gm4x4lover
December 4th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Nebraska, south Dakota, Texas, Kansas, and Oklahoma. Colorado has inflated prices for diesels. Just like Subaru they really hold there value here. I picked up my 2000 lariat dually with 130k on it 5 years ago for 10k. I really watched and found one a dealer had for a while.

94ToyBear
December 4th, 2013, 07:12 AM
I'm probably going to stick to Ford. I like having a solid axle up front. And I like the comfort better.
On most of the 7.3s I find they have anywhere from 150k-200k average miles. How long do they usually last? Would it be worth it to pick up?

I do belive dodge has solid axle up front on allmost all 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

Dutch
December 4th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Yes, Dodge still runs solid axles on the heavy duty trucks.

Not to dissuade you too much but hauling a Subaru and some occaissional scrap metal is 1/2 ton truck work. The 1/2 ton will also be a lot cheaper to operate and maintain as a daily driver. Not to mention far more comfortable riding on the road.

94ToyBear
December 4th, 2013, 08:55 AM
▲▲▲▲▲ I agree

carpenle
December 4th, 2013, 10:20 AM
this is not bad http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4227758197.html

scout man
December 4th, 2013, 10:58 AM
personally I would avoid the 4 door long bed combo unless you really need it... since you are DD this also. Those things are so freaking long you need and entire parking lot to turn. They are the cheapest out there though, or were when I was looking. I have the super cab long bed and I will park it in tighter lots downtown and such sometimes, but I have to be very picky about what space I choose, and sometimes that sucks. The 4 door short bed, or supercab long or short bed are much more manageable as a daily driver. And I drive semi's quite often so I am used to large rigs in small spaces, not just being over dramatic.

Patrolman
December 4th, 2013, 02:48 PM
I do belive dodge has solid axle up front on allmost all 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

Correct. My dad has a 98.5 cummins that is a solid axle. I am sure the truck size is comparable, and it is an extra cab with long bed. As others have stated, the larger trucks are truly difficult to drive in tight areas. Also, it rides rougher than a 1/2 ton. Only reason he bought it is to haul his trailer. It sits most of the time otherwise. Personally, I would get out there and test drive a bunch before you really get serious. Something may surprise you one way or the other about them.

ctracy5
December 4th, 2013, 03:47 PM
personally I would avoid the 4 door long bed combo unless you really need it... since you are DD this also. Those things are so freaking long you need and entire parking lot to turn.

X2

Also agree that Colorado prices on these trucks are way to high.

Dutch
December 4th, 2013, 05:32 PM
I too drive a tractor trailer on a regular basis, along with big military trucks almost daily. A crew cab longbed is a pain to deal with daily. My OBS 7.3L Powerstroke was an extend cab dually with a 8.5" flat bed on it and that thing sucked to park in most places. Other than towing the buggy over passes my 2000 Silverado 1500 extended cab short box was a better all around daily use truck. It got better empty fuel economy, used cheaper fuel, less oil, cheaper filters, cheaper tires, rode better, didn't need to be shut off in the drive-thru, and was a lot easier to park.

The diesel definitely did a better job towing the heavy rig over the passes, but the 1/2 ton did fine. Its 10mpg towing compared to the diesel's 15mpg towing really wasn't much more expensive with the price difference in fuel. I saved maybe 5$ every 100 miles of towing.

Don't get me wrong, I love diesels and big trucks. I just get annoyed that everybody seems to think they need a big 1 ton diesel dually just to tow 5000lbs. People also need to realize there really is no need to do 80mph over I-70 towing.

gm4x4lover
December 4th, 2013, 06:48 PM
I don't think I could ever own a short bed pick up again. Mine is a crew cab long bed and I haven't ever found it to be to long. The duallys seem to turn sharper than the srw trucks. Any of the choices are good ones I am a fan of the late 99's and 2000's as they had the forged internals.

AccordRanger
December 5th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Yes, Dodge still runs solid axles on the heavy duty trucks.

Not to dissuade you too much but hauling a Subaru and some occaissional scrap metal is 1/2 ton truck work. The 1/2 ton will also be a lot cheaper to operate and maintain as a daily driver. Not to mention far more comfortable riding on the road.

For the scrap metal I'm planning on doing a few junk cars at once. I'm wanting a diesel because who knows what I'm going to end up needing to haul in the future and I rather have a truck that can do it no problem than one that's going to struggle.

scout man
December 5th, 2013, 12:02 PM
That's why I went with a diesel. I was tired of having to ask "can my truck handle this?" I finally went with a truck that can handle whatever I want to throw at it. And I definitely do that a lot now that I have a truck that can handle it.

Patrolman
December 5th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Yeah, if you are going to haul multiple cars at once, and fairly often, you are going to want a diesel. I guess it comes down to body style and options then.

The StRanger
December 5th, 2013, 12:55 PM
I am a true ford fan. If you cut me, do I not bleed blue !!!
But in a Diesel I would get the Dodge !!!
Its stronger, More realible And proven itself over the years..

Dutch
December 5th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Ok, the engine has. The transmissions are complete junk. Even the manual transmissions are prone to failure. The other issue is the cost of them uses versus the Ford or Chevy.

Haku
December 5th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Its stronger, More realible And proven itself over the years..

All debatable IMHO and you'll find similar opinions of each of the brands, so to me its really down to personal preference.

At least the 7.3 is pretty well known as a powerful and reliable engine, and at least from what I've found is easier and less expensive to fix when something big goes wrong with it. It is is either going to be the Injectors or High Pressure Oil Pump, and while they cost $1000 and $400, respectively, for parts, both are relatively easy to replace. I've heard the Duramax is a beast to work on but I don't know for sure (more complex) and the part that fails on the Cummins is the Injection Pump and I've heard its kind of hard to get done too. This is all just from reading stuff on the internet and talking to people who own those trucks, so I guess take it for what you will.

redneck23ms
December 5th, 2013, 04:30 PM
they all have their issues. the dodge auto's can fail. but if you treat the trans good and don't get it got they will last. got 270,000 out of one in a 96 dually before needing a rebuild. and the nv4500s the 5th gear nut can back off and cause problems. and the 24valve cummins the injector pumps can fail but that is caused by the lift pump failing and not supplying proper pressure to the injector pump. that is a relatively simple fix and a fuel pressure gauge or warning light can prevent that failure. the duramax's will normally need new injectors after 100k. then the fords have lots of possible motor failure issues, internal high pressure oil leaks, egr cooler, head gaskets, computer, high pressure oil pump. another thing i don't like about the ford is their oil cooler system. when you change the oil theres 3-4quarts of old oil still in the motor that won't drain out. most of these issues can be fixed or avoided fairly easily but all are costly. buy a ford with a bad motor and swap a cummins in it and you'll have a nice pickup. i've also seen dodges get alot better mileage than fords/dmaxes. i've consistantly seen dodges pull over 20mpg empty and 17-18 with a light load (jeep and trailer). then a good friend of mine has an 11or 12 model f250 and it only gets around 16 empty ans 12ish with a jeep and trailer.

ctracy5
December 5th, 2013, 11:18 PM
I have talked to guys that "claim" to get nearly 30 mpg with a Dodge that was chipped and moded right. Exhaust, intake, basic bolt on stuff trying to increase economy. The big expense is getting a good chip that you can adjust for power or economy.

gm4x4lover
December 6th, 2013, 10:57 AM
I laugh at anyone who claims a 9k truck can get 30mpg average. 20 is possible 22 is rare but not unheard of. 6.7 dodges 've the worst mileage out of them all with the 6.7's in a close second. The is no perfect set up and each of the three is built for different uses. I would honestly drive any of the three but when I was looking I was set on a dirty max and wound up with a power struggle. The dodge was out of the question right out of the gate because they didn't build a crew cab. My psd is a great truck but I wonder if the Chevy would have been a better choice. All though I don't think I could ever step down from the ford cab.

flashboiler
December 6th, 2013, 01:10 PM
I'm new to the diesel scene... Bought a 2001 F350 crew cab with a 7.3 to pull my Samurai, which it does great.

I was always skeptical about the mileage guys claims the diesels get. I got a legitimate 22.5mpg from south Denver to Longmont but I drove like a grandma. I've also got 14mpg empty driving normal. So I can say my truck gets 22.5mpg and not be lying but I'd be stretching the truth...

I got 15.5mpg towing to Moab and back which I thought was great, but I was driving slowish. I've towed to Utah with the cruise control set at 75-80 and got 13.x towing.

Normal towing my Sammy is mid to high 13's if I keep up with traffic. I think that's pretty good. Light trailer and light 4x4 though.

scout man
December 6th, 2013, 09:24 PM
wait, why the trailer? Couldn't you just put that thing in the bed?? :D

gm4x4lover
December 8th, 2013, 03:59 PM
:lmao:

flashboiler
December 8th, 2013, 04:46 PM
wait, why the trailer? Couldn't you just put that thing in the bed?? :D

I wish!

AccordRanger
December 19th, 2013, 11:49 AM
I have been finding a lot of 6.4s I like. Are these alright? I've heard ups and down but not from reliable sources.

Haku
December 19th, 2013, 11:55 AM
I'm no expert on this but with most of what I read 6.4 = 6.0 and the 6.7 = 7.3 in most peoples minds i.e. the 6.4 seems to be the one with more problems and the 6.7 is the one to have. Not sure if the 6.4 has quite the horrible reputation that the 6.0 does, but I know its not the most desirable one.

ctracy5
December 19th, 2013, 02:12 PM
I'm no expert on this but with most of what I read 6.4 = 6.0 and the 6.7 = 7.3 in most peoples minds i.e. the 6.4 seems to be the one with more problems and the 6.7 is the one to have. Not sure if the 6.4 has quite the horrible reputation that the 6.0 does, but I know its not the most desirable one.

X2, never had one but I have heard the same thing from many different contractors. They say the 6.7 is a reliable motor but most still miss the 7.3.

gm4x4lover
December 20th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Our diesel repair shop for our tow trucks is not a fan of the 6.7. He has to replace a lot of them and they are a super huge pita to work on. The other day when I was dropping off one of our trucks he had five new 6.7s on the floor waiting to go in the trucks. They are slightly better than the 6.0's but far from the reliability of a 7.3L. I have towed with a lot of different diesels, chevy 6.6's, Ford 7.3, 6.0, 6.7, dodge 5.9 12v, 5.9 H.O, 6.7, plus a few of the medium duty's wit cats, internations, and dt's. I really dig my 7.3 last night I hauled 2 class C rv's to the springs and my truck did surprising well. I averaged 70 mph and pulled monument hill at 60 mph. One of the rv's was parked over my bed and I got horrendous mileage but what can you expect with that kinda gross weight (36k) and height of 14'6".

ctracy5
December 20th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Gotta love that 7.3. Good to hear more trustworthy info on the 6.7.