PDA

View Full Version : Camber Adjusting Shims for D44 (Late 70's model out of a Bronco)

STRRAYNGE
December 9th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Anyone know where I might be able to pick up a shim or 2? Someone that might stock them. My front passenger has positive camper and its really wearing the outside of my tire.

CS79bronco
December 9th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Try Rock Auto, they have a lot of parts on their on-line catalog.

Hypoid
December 10th, 2013, 03:03 AM
Try looking up offset ball joints, the adjusters are probably listed there.

Edit: CarQuest and NAPA probably know what you are looking for.

STRRAYNGE
December 10th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Thanks guys. I originally wanted to go with an adjustable balljoint, but I think the shim would be just as effective and probably a little quicker to do. Ill check rock auto and see what they have. I do know napa has em on their site, but they will probably have to order. I guess its not a big deal, just hoping to try and fix it this weekend if possible. Thanks again!

STRRAYNGE
December 10th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Checked NAPA and Carquest. They dont have them in stock, but can have one in a few days or so.

The StRanger
December 10th, 2013, 12:47 PM
We used to get the adjustable cams from Alignment specialties I dint even know if they are still around!

STRRAYNGE
December 10th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Well, I need to revise my search now. Just talked to PO, and the axle is actually out of a 79 waggy, with rotors and calipers from a 79 Bronco. So, now I need to call all the part stores back and see if they have one for a wagoneer instead of a Bronco.

Hypoid
December 10th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Just as I suspected, same part for both vehicles: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Ball-Joint-Adjusting-Sleeve-Front-Susp/_/R-NCP2608700_0231770070

A trip to the alignment rack will tell if the adjustment cam will do the trick.

How old are these ball joints, anyway?

STRRAYNGE
December 10th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Just as I suspected, same part for both vehicles: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Ball-Joint-Adjusting-Sleeve-Front-Susp/_/R-NCP2608700_0231770070

A trip to the alignment rack will tell if the adjustment cam will do the trick.

How old are these ball joints, anyway?Ah, ok, we are looking at totally different things. This is the route im going to go with. http://www.ingallseng.com/26126-6-bolt-knuckle-camber-shim.html. Unfortunately, even though NAPA and Carquest both have them on their websites, they cant even get them, said they are obsolete. But, Ingalls sells em. Ordering one tomorrow!

As far as ball joints, they are great. Not sure how old they are, but not one single bit of movement.

Robert B
December 10th, 2013, 10:14 PM
im not used to seeing those adjustable ones but I wonder how well those will stay at the spot you want them and the other ways it will shim it because of the adjustability..... but the main thing im curious on is do you know what is causing your camber issues ??

STRRAYNGE
December 11th, 2013, 06:16 AM
im not used to seeing those adjustable ones but I wonder how well those will stay at the spot you want them and the other ways it will shim it because of the adjustability..... but the main thing im curious on is do you know what is causing your camber issues ??If I put it with the thin part at 12 oclock, it should only adjust my camber. If I need less or more and have to turn it slightly, it should just adjust my toe, which will be an easy fix. I talked to a few folks who have used these and they said they work great. I guess I will find out. Mine should be here tomorrow and should get it on Friday.
As far as why my camber is out, good question. My guess is the tube has a slight bend from the truss being welded on, or im inner c is bent. I just dont know?

STRRAYNGE
December 13th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Shim did the trick. Just wanted to post this update for everyone!!

xaza
December 14th, 2013, 06:55 AM
sweet, congrats

The StRanger
December 16th, 2013, 01:12 PM

Happy, Happy !
Do they have timeframe for retorque !!

STRRAYNGE
December 16th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Happy, Happy !
Do they have timeframe for retorque !!Good question. I havent found anything on that, but I will probably pull it back apart in a couple weeks and check it over regardless.

The StRanger
December 16th, 2013, 02:27 PM

Happy, Happy !
Do they have timeframe for retorque !!

carpenle
December 16th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Good deal John.

STRRAYNGE
December 17th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Yeah, tires are too expensive to let em get eat up like that!!

carpenle
December 17th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Crazy expensive! Glad you got it taken care of and I am sure your tires are to. Was it a easy install? How expensive were the shims?

STRRAYNGE
December 17th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Crazy expensive! Glad you got it taken care of and I am sure your tires are to. Was it a easy install? How expensive were the shims?Super easy install. Basically just like replacing an axle. Just pull the rotor, caliper, and spindle, then in put it in there and clock it for how many degrees you need to adjust. The shim cost me 46.00 total shipped. I had checked NAPA and Carquest, but even though they showed them on their website and it said they had them in their warehouse, they told me they could not get them anymore, so I ordered from Ingalls Engineering down by Broomfield. Had it next day.

carpenle
December 18th, 2013, 09:02 AM
The shim cost me 46.00 total shipped

That is a great deal!