PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for New Forum

Bob
December 16th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Reading Justin's introduction and Rick's rescue account makes me think that a forum devoted to such "learning experiences" would be a good addition. We can all get valuable lessons from such episodes and it's good reading as well. I think a forum name such as Never Again would be good.

Jackie
December 17th, 2013, 10:17 AM
I like the idea! My very first 4-wheeling drive was on Pole Hill. My husband was driving his KTM and he was stopping to spot me as needed. (I had our then-4yr old in the Jeep with me). Long story short, he crashed his bike, broke his ankle and had to bale and leave me alone to get the Jeep and the kiddo off the trail. I did it. Met him back at our pristine camp site where we spent the night. In the morning, I had to strike the camp by myself, take care of the kiddo and get his bike loaded onto the back of his PU truck. He was of very little help as he was in pain and hobbling along with a set of Liki poles we had brought along.

Would have been nice to have friends along on that trip...

Chris
December 17th, 2013, 10:46 AM
I think most of us have had a learning experience at some point. Early on I learned that wheeling alone and unprepared is a bad idea after having to abandon my truck stuck in the snow. A quick, quiet solo run turned bad and what should have been a simple recovery (if I had a clue) ended being a very long, cold day requiring a recovery the next day.

SubAlpine
December 22nd, 2013, 08:31 PM
While the name Newbie is nothing anyone likes to admit, the Newbie forum is perfect for this kind of talk. I have been there as well. Hell, I still am a noob at a lot of stuff in the off road realm.

Jim
December 22nd, 2013, 08:47 PM
the Newbie forum is perfect for this kind of talk.

I PM'd Bob shortly after his post to say that I didn't wish to post as my comment might sway the group. As it's been a while since his post and that your post was as it is - bingo - time to say, the Newbie forum is what I'd recommend for the issues.

Should someone think Newbie not be the place and still wish something new - have folks mull it over and I'll sit back and watch.

The Dude
December 22nd, 2013, 09:00 PM
It's Dustin by the way :2thumbup:

I kinda like the thought of a never again forum. However it seems coincide with both the newbie forum and the trail damage forum.

Maybe just a "stories" forum?

Jim
May 6th, 2014, 09:05 PM
Kick'n some dirt on this as I think Bob has a good idea and others are interested.

But where to put the forum and what to call it...

Place it with the "General forums" or the "Trail forums"? (I'd lean towards general as trail is more of solid trail data)

What to call the forum?
"Trail Stories"
"Life 101"
"Never again!!"
"I remember this one trip..."
"It was an 'Hold-muh-beer-n-watch-this' type of day"
"...and THEN it started to RAIN!"

Suggestions?!?!

Brad
May 7th, 2014, 06:10 AM
I like trail stories.

javaman34
May 7th, 2014, 06:39 PM
I like Trail Stories as well.

94ToyBear
May 7th, 2014, 07:25 PM
How about "hold my beer watch this" ???? Just joking. I like the idea just not newbie cuz bad things can happend to anyone.

Jackie
May 7th, 2014, 08:34 PM
How about...

"DOH!" :lmao:

Tom
May 7th, 2014, 08:37 PM
How about...

"DOH!" :lmao:or "Oh Shite"

Jim
May 7th, 2014, 08:57 PM
Done (mostly):

Go ahead and start using it.
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?205-Trail-Stories

General > Trail Stories

I have not yet edited the drop-down menu to add the listing there, so to find it...
Click the FR4x4 banner image at the top of the screen, it'll be listed below.

Jim
May 17th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Done.

Chris helped me with an HowTo for menu editing. Trail Stories is now listed under the General drop-down menu.

Additionally, Members Only is now listed in the Off Topic menu.

Thanks Chris!