PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Day - Tailgate

WW2AVG
January 3rd, 2014, 04:00 PM
Well, here my little bit of carnage from the New Year's Day run! I was the first to try the first obstacle on the Ironclads. I backed up to get a better run at it and I remember my son telling me at one point that I was against the tree. When I was backing up/sliding, I didn't even feel the tree. I must have hit fairly easy and/or the tailgate just makes a nice cushion! The spare was against the tree. The tire carrier rests on a rubber bumper mounted on a 1"x1" bar at the top of the tailgate. That got pushed in and I got a nice wrinkle where the 1"x1" bar ends! The tailgate still works, so nothing urgent to fix, but I will be looking for a red tailgate that fits a 2003 TJ! If you hear of one for sale, please drop me a note!

Jim
January 3rd, 2014, 06:13 PM
Bummer...

WW2AVG
January 3rd, 2014, 06:18 PM
Since it is pretty well crinkled, I know I won't get it back straight. It works as-is, so I think I'll just leave well enough alone and keep an eye out for a used one. In the Springs we have "FN Jeep" that might have one eventually. I'll probably keep in touch with them and watch Craigslist. To try to straighten it out would be a waste of effort. It would still be crunched and I'll end up swapping it out eventually anyway!

Rick
January 3rd, 2014, 06:35 PM
To try to straighten it out would be a waste of effort.as ive learned w/ my truck....seems to make it look worse