PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Die Hard Platinum/Odyssey Batteries I can test fit?

Haku
January 7th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Hey guys,

So I've had a couple of yellow top refurbished Optima's for a while, and they have been causing me all kinds of issues. They lost their ability to hold a charge and I've tried all the tricks to bring them back and I think they are truly dead. I'm reluctant to buy the Optima's again, and have heard great things about the Diehard Platinum batteries (that are the same thing as the Odyssey batteries). The one problem I have is that my mount is designed for an Optima and I need to see how the Die Hard fits and what I'll need to do to fix it, if anything.

So what I was wondering is whether anyone on here has one, and if so, if we could hookup and just let me try dropping it in the optima mount. I know they will work with my electrical system, so it would be a 15 minute thing to try it out. My vehicle is currently at the Club Workshop near Denver Bumper and Daz Bog Coffee just off I-25 and 8th Avenue. I just want to make sure they'll fit before throwing down $300-400 on a couple of batteries. I have a long list of stuff that needs done to my rig to get it wheelable, so I'd prefer not having to add a big project.

Thanks a bunch,

Josh

Geno
January 8th, 2014, 01:07 AM
If your down in the Springs I have a 1700 CCA Odyssey in my TJ( top mount) and Robert has a 1500 CCA in his Blazer ( top and Side mount) Both bought Jan 13 ,and get a pretty good deal on Odyssey Batteries also.

Haku
January 8th, 2014, 02:38 AM
Depending on what exactly a good deal is I might take you up on that, but I'm up in Denver and its not worth a 3 hour round trip for a 10 minute test fit and didn't have any plans to come down there for other stuff any time soon. Thanks a bunch for the offer though and let me know what that deal is you can get.

I would want whatever the highest capacity unit is that fits with my existing mounts. I have the RuffStuff dual battery enclosure that is specifically designed for the Optima batteries. I tried talking to them and seeing if they could just design the top bracket that lock the batteries in for the Odyssey, and Dan the owner said he would ask his CAD guy if it was possible, but I never heard back (despite my request). He's a busy dude, so I imagine it just got lost in the hubbub of every day business stuff.

Brad
January 8th, 2014, 05:50 AM
Maybe this can help, from Odyssey's website:

http://www.odysseybattery.com/battspecs.html

Haku
January 8th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Yeah....been there already. I really need a physical test with one to see if the shape fits with brackets and stuff. A length width and height measurement doesn't give the full picture on whether it will fit well or not since the battery posts can be on different spots or the bumps and contours don't quite match.

sdhill
January 8th, 2014, 08:40 PM
I have three platinums, two in the diesel one in the gas. They are great! You can come give them a test fit if you want. Think they are group 65.

Haku
January 8th, 2014, 09:07 PM
Sorry to be so picky, and I'm greatful for the offer, but I need to test fit the 34/78 series specifically (or one very close in size) since I'm trying to fit it into an existing battery box. Looking at the specs, the Group 65 is definitely too big.

Looking at the specs for the Odyssey/Die Hard one and comparing them to the Optima, it looks like the Optima is a little bit smaller lengthwise but the other dimensions are definitely close. Its close enough where I might be able to wedge it in there though, or maybe just cut and re-weld one side of the battery box. They are the same height and width(within a couple 100ths of an inch) so it might be an easy fit.

Frustratingly, the Die Hard Platinum automotive batteries have disappeared from the site, but there are still a few Marine ones about the same size. Not sure exactly if the Die Hard ones are an exact fit to the Odyssey ones or if they differ slightly in case shape or something.

zukrider
January 8th, 2014, 09:54 PM
I have a Platinum. cant recall the series number at the moment. ill check tomorrow.

Haku
January 9th, 2014, 03:22 AM
Thanks man...that would be great.

The StRanger
January 9th, 2014, 07:46 AM
I picked up 2 red tops back in cheyenne (so about the late 90s)
They where turned in for Warr and i recharged them and used them
They finally died early this spring !!