PDA

View Full Version : WTB WJ Dana 30 HP axle

trailfiend
January 8th, 2014, 08:01 AM
I want to swap from the LP D30 to a HP D30 on my XJ - I'm after an XJ/TJ/similar HP D30 - if anyone has a WJ D30 that I can pick up, I need knuckles/calipers/brackets for building the D30 the way I want.

I don't need control arms or steering, just the axle and knuckles. I don't mind if there's no carrier or gears, unless you happen to have one already geared to 4.10, I need to regear soon, anyway. Let me know what you've got! Or if you find one in a JY let me know, I'll pay for your time (I don't have enough time to go hunting for one).

dscowell
January 8th, 2014, 04:15 PM
There is a Comanche HP Dana 30 on Craigslist out of an 89 only thing is it's an CAD but that can be fixed with a new single piece axle shaft. $80 isn't a bad deal

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/4259761208.html

xaza
January 8th, 2014, 04:37 PM
He is looking to get the WJ Knuckles which has a much stronger steering setup. I believe you need 16" rims to fit the knuckles.

xaza
January 8th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Apparently the axles are wider spring perches don't line up and I believe it is a low pinion 30 also. Possible but a huge project. Were you just looking to piece together a high pinion 30 with WJ steering knuckles?

dscowell
January 8th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Still figured I'd post it up. It has been on CL for quite awhile.

I believe it is a low pinion 30 also
I thought that too! Weren't all ZJ, and WJ low pinion?

Popsgarage
January 8th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Were you just looking to piece together a high pinion 30 with WJ steering knuckles?

He is. He needs the WJ axle for the knuckles and a mid 90's XJ/TJ axle for the high pinion to build and install the knuckles on.

I'm after an XJ/TJ/similar HP D30 - if anyone has a WJ D30 that I can pick up, I need knuckles/calipers/brackets for building the D30 the way I want.

xaza
January 8th, 2014, 05:26 PM
that's too funny, I read it differently when you say it.

Popsgarage
January 8th, 2014, 05:30 PM
I read it differently when you say it.

I thought you might have!:D

Popsgarage
January 8th, 2014, 05:31 PM
I'll keep my eyes open for ya, Alex!!!!!!!1 Depending on the weather this weekend I might make it to the JY!

trailfiend
January 8th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Thanks Jon! I appreciate your help as always!

Dante - I saw that earlier, I want to avoid the CAD axles as the axle tube isn't continuous on the passenger side, resulting in a weaker axle. I also figure if I'm gonna throw down some money to build the axle, might as well do it right :) Also from what I've noticed/learned, axles on jeeps were sporadically spec'd - from what I've read online, all (theoretically, according to some) 97+ XJ's came with high-pinion D30's... but you can go out and find 5 97+ XJ's and there's as good a chance that all 5 are LP as there is they're all HP, same thing it seems why there's D35/D44/C8.25 rear axles, I've heard that certain towing packages got the D44 upgrade, but the D35 or C8.25 was more common, my coworker's XJ has a HP D30 and a D35, so he gets the stronger front axle, and I get the stronger rear axle... I don't get it.

Cliff - When I first posted this I had forgotten that WJ axles are actually wider than XJ, in my mind as I typed this out I thought I'd be able to bolt one in... then I remembered the difference, and couldn't change the title... But basically I want a HP D30 and to track down knuckles from a WJ, I just said it in a confusing series of sentences :)

Hypoid
January 8th, 2014, 10:25 PM
What gear ratio are you wanting?

trailfiend
January 8th, 2014, 10:44 PM
What gear ratio are you wanting?

Ultimately 4.10, but I'm planning on getting a new carrier anyway - probably Detroit TrueTrac, so it doesn't much matter if the axle is even geared. Although I wouldn't mind, that just means I'd be able to drive it sooner :)

Hypoid
January 8th, 2014, 11:12 PM
I have my project axle, with factory 4.10 gears. I had Dutch install new (Timken) bearings and seals.

Since I stumbled across deeper gear sets for both of my axles, I have been deliberating recouping the money I have in this axle. If you are set on a full case locker, it may not be such a great deal for you.

trailfiend
January 8th, 2014, 11:31 PM
How much do you have into it? I'm not dead-set on going to the full case right away, if I can get it cleaned up and driveable I'd be pretty darn happy - it was mostly a "when in Rome...upgrade everything" thought process.

Hypoid
January 8th, 2014, 11:49 PM
PM on it's way...

Hypoid
January 9th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Alex is still looking...