PDA

View Full Version : Interest in an '04 WJ with lots of maintenance and full records?

06HokieTJ
January 14th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Going to clean it up and throw it on CL this weekend.

Quick 'n dirty specs:

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
4.0/42RE/NP242 Selec Trac
Built May 2004 (last month of production for the WJ)
Rocky Mountain Edition (http://www.wjjeeps.com/rocky.htm)
Silver/gray two tone
17" Jeep 5-spoke forged wheels
Sunroof/Moonroof
Infinity audio, factory alarm system
Jeep Rocky Mountain Edition Seats with two tone, stain resistant cordura fabrics
134k (ish) miles

Engineer (Engineering manager for Cummins) owned/maintained since 60k

Spent it's first 7 years of life in dry SW Texas, last 3 have been here in Denver. No rust/corrosion issues at all. All suspension bolts have spun loose just fine.

It has towed once in it's life and it was a 4x8 U-haul trailer carrying furniture. The hitch is used for mountain bikes.

Specifically bought the 4.0/42RE/NP242 Selec Trac as I wanted the most reliable/bulletproof WJ I could buy. Followed the service manual's recommendations to the "T" as I planned on keeping this WJ forever, making it a trail rig after retiring it from DD use... What I didn't plan on was buying a TJ as a trail/weekend rig.

Have full service records, mileage log (recording MPG's, O&F changes, fuel system cleaner, tire rotations, etc.)

All of the major wear items/maintenance has been performed, including (but not limited to) the following major work has been performed during the last 1-3 years:

New windshield
New brakes, pads, rotors, parking shoes
New brake master cylinder, brake fluid flush + brake bleed (2x on the flush/bleed actually)
New suspension bushings (control arms, A-arm ball joint, etc.)
New coil spring pads
New gas mono-tube shocks within last year
New TRE's
Power steering fluid flush
4 tires (235/65R17)
Coolant system flush (x2)
New water pump, thermostat and gaskets
Plugs and tune ups
Transmission and transfer case service (filter, fluid)
Rear differential rebuilt (bearings, gears reset up, new fluid)
Diff service (2x rear end)

The bad:
4.0 leak (like they all do). Can't tell if it's a pan gasket or a RMS. Haven't worried with repairing it yet. Top it off every now and then and keep driving.
Front DS rzeppa joint makes some intermittent noise during initial acceleration from stop in 4x4. RockAuto sells a new Rzeppa joint for $85. It's a bolt on swap. Only happens in 4x4, just started with 1st 4x4 use last month, so I've only heard it twice. Will probably try to fix before throwing it up on CL.

FR4x4 price: $5000
Given all of the new parts and maintenance that has been performed, I feel $5000 is a very fair price. I have a manilla envelope full of all records and I keep a spiral bound log in the glovebox. There is very little you will need to replace within the next 50-75k miles. Going to ask over $6k on CL.

The Dude
January 15th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Pending the wife's "okay" we may be interested. Would you have time to show it off this weekend? And I might as well ask if you're interested in an '02 BMW 325xi.

The Dude
January 15th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Scratch that. We're interested. Please contact me anytime. Dustin @ 303-910-1020

The Dude
January 15th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Sold. Thanks Bret! Good to meet you.

06HokieTJ
January 15th, 2014, 10:44 PM
Dustin

Nice meeting you to. The Grand should serve you well. We had a good 70k miles and 4 years & 2 months together. That Jeep saw me through quite some amazing changes in my life. Only time she failed to start (once) is when I let the battery die (which reminds me, the battery was warrantied with a brand new unit by Walmart in 2010, they just swapped the old sticker in to the new one).

heres what I was talking about tonight about the DS:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/cv-rzeppa-joint-rebuild-1544173/

Here it is on RockAuto
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2425836&cc=1420737

and Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00450B3P2

looks like a simple Saturday project. I've only heard it twice, but I've only used 4x4 twice this winter.

Enjoy the camo Cummins/Valvoline hat!

ExplorerTom
January 16th, 2014, 06:15 AM
Dang! Well done. Well done!

Atl-atl
January 16th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Nice score! That is a sweet WJ, perfect in every way.