PDA

View Full Version : CBs?

ctracy5
January 20th, 2014, 01:40 AM
Alright I know basicly nothing about them but all I need is something simple that works. I was looking at this and it sounds pretty good. I like the fact that it doesn't mount permanently so I don't have to find a place to mount the box. I just need to run the wire to an antenna and put a jack to plug into.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Midland-Miniature-Handheld-CB-Weather-Radio/10603644#Specifications

ExplorerTom
January 20th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Here's a good site to do some research on:
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/

The StRanger
January 20th, 2014, 08:32 AM
Looks like a decent deal !! Have you checked the Truck Stops for comparison.
Call me redneck but I still like the looks of antenna's.

Max
January 20th, 2014, 08:56 AM
I got my PRO505XL straight from Uniden for $25 shipped. I was looking for one of the smallest ones so it was easier to find a place to mount.

I don't like the all in one handheld ones that much. Bad sound, expensive, bad reception in the cab, unless you run an external antenna, then it's too many wires! haha

Dutch
January 20th, 2014, 09:01 AM
That's the exact one I plan on getting for my JK. You can still mount an antenna to your rig and run the cable up to near your cigarette lighter. Then, when you're ready to hook this to the vehicle you simply plug it into the antenna and cigarette lighter, the power adapter that replaces the battery has ends for both on it. You can also just use the little rubber antenna on top of the radio, but with reduced range.

I've used these little Cobra ones in the past and like them a lot.
https://www.cobra.com/products/recreational/c-75-wx-st

You hide the power box under your dash or seat and then all that's seen is the hand unit with all of the controls on it. With my last XJ I mounted it under the driver seat and used the power wire from my power seats to power it. My power seat was broken so I replaced them all with non-power Sport seats anyway. I actually cut the lead off the seat so the CB was unit was plugged into the seat harness and easily removed. I then drilled a small hole in the bottom of my center console storage bin and ran the lead from the hand unit through that hole and under the bottom edge of the center console to the power unit. That way when I wasn't using the CB I could just keep the hand unit inside the center console. When I was using it I just closed the lid on the wire and rested the hand unit in my lap.

ctracy5
January 20th, 2014, 11:35 AM
I was planning on running an external Antenna for better reception. That Cobra was the other one I was looking at, only like $92 at Walmart and I get my discount. Thanks for the info guys I will read around some more and see what I go with.

flashboiler
January 20th, 2014, 12:47 PM
I've got the Cobra and it works fine. I like it because it's small (Samurai) and I can hold it up to my ear and maybe hear people when on the highway and the poor little 1.6 is screaming it's guts out at 4500rpm...

Chris
January 20th, 2014, 02:25 PM
I've used these little Cobra ones in the past and like them a lot.
https://www.cobra.com/products/recreational/c-75-wx-st

That's what I have, good unit and easy to tuck away when not needed.

AdventureReady
January 20th, 2014, 04:10 PM
I want the cobra one, but I'm terrified of installing it myself and still haven't justified paying someone to do it. With my luck I'll electrocute myself, haha. :lmao:

Max
January 20th, 2014, 04:18 PM
If you want to try to do it yourself, I'll come and help out one day.

AdventureReady
January 20th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Thanks, Max! I appreciate it. Once I purchase it, I'll definitely send you a message. Schedule's been busy recently.

ExplorerTom
January 20th, 2014, 04:22 PM
I installed mine without issue. I could help as well- but Max is much closer.

Tom
January 20th, 2014, 04:49 PM
That's what I have, good unit and easy to tuck away when not needed.
Me too cobra one. Love it. Have an external speaker up by my head. Speaker cost all of about 7 bucks.

Installed it myself. Piece of cake. I can help if you want. Have a meter to balance the antenna too..

zukrider
February 1st, 2014, 10:17 PM
Bringing this back. along with Chris, i too must have a CB for the Moab trip.

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/equipment-by-vehicle/jeep-offroad-cb-radio.html

those of you with more experience than I, please have a look at the above link and tell me what you feel is the better option.

-Cobra 75 obviously is a all in one hand held and will offer multi car use at a much more affordable price. but is it really worth the extra cash?

-Uniden is still small. what does it not have that the other does, to justify a price gain of $60?

I like the idea of a package. both will require the addition of a spring to the firestik, but no worries there.

So should i save the $60?

Robert B
February 1st, 2014, 11:27 PM
okay basing this off the top 2 units in that link the cobra 75 still has to be mounted like the uniden (that litttle white box) so its not really a multi car cb...... and the 2 exact reasons the cobra is more money that it has an extra external speaker and the big one is that it has weather channels which the uniden does not have either ...so the real question is if you want the weather channels or not ...... and you can most likely get a package deal through them ( i did) for a different cb but those are the two brands i have heard good of and i have only run (higher level) cobras with no real issues ......

and this is just me but i like the more classic ones with the separate mic and not the all in ones like that exact cobra but i know both work

on a side note if you run the firestik from them like i did you may want to get the stiffer spring as i got the soft spring and it will bounce back and forth ALOT and will keep going by itself for a good while

xaza
February 2nd, 2014, 06:55 AM
Another good one is Midland. Have run a few of them with no issues. I got my antenna from Right Channel. I have the soft spring and it works good for the 2' antenna.
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/firestik-ngp-roof-top-cb-antenna-mount-kit.html
I like the NGP antenna because they eliminate the need for the antenna to be grounded.
That is a pretty good price on those complete kits. Can't really piece it together much cheaper.

WW2AVG
February 2nd, 2014, 10:51 AM
I have the Midland 75-822 that I bring along as more of a backup radio. The short story is that we have been out a couple times and some folks don't have radios or, in one case, we had a dead vehicle with a dead battery, so a handheld seemed like a good idea.

As with most handhelds they are not terribly efficient due to the antenna setup. My guess is that if you used an external antenna it should be nearly as good as any other CB radio. When you use the rubber duck antenna that comes with it and you are sitting in a metal enclosure (the cab of your vehicle) things are really working against you. I let "sunk" borrow it recently and a_brick_short borrow it on the New Year's Day run. No external antenna in either case and the reports were just so-so. You can certainly talk to vehicles near you, but don't expect great performance.

I have not tried hooking it up to my external CB antenna and doing a comparison. That would be an interesting test. Again, I suspect that the performance would be much better since the antenna is not inside a metal box.

One concern with the handheld is having a way to secure it. You don't need that flopping around in the cab and trying to find it all the time!

BLOODBANE
February 2nd, 2014, 11:18 AM
I run the Cobra in my Samurai. Its small which works well in the cramped space available. Look for them on E-Bay though. I only paid 60.00 for mine and it works like a charm.

zukrider
February 2nd, 2014, 08:55 PM
ATM i am leaning toward the Uniden package for the savings, and to add on Roberts response, the package allows the selection of the 520xl model that has weather and RF gain. still comes in around $40 cheaper.

Mr6dwg
February 2nd, 2014, 09:19 PM
I bought the 520XL for the size. It is simple, but great, and I have had it for several years.

zukrider
February 2nd, 2014, 09:20 PM
so no complaints then? i just really dont want to ever do it again in this vehicle. i honestly dont even want one, but alas, its time.

ExplorerTom
February 2nd, 2014, 09:25 PM
Just don't mount the antenna on the fender like I have mine. I need to move it to my rear bumper and get it tuned up and calibrated.

I have a Midland something or other with weather scan. It works.

zukrider
February 2nd, 2014, 09:33 PM
i wont. i have plans to make a quick horizontal to vertical changing base mount. and will run a 3' firestick on hard spring for it. mounted to the roof rails.

ctracy5
February 4th, 2014, 11:09 PM
Well I ended up going a little cheaper on the CB, I got a Cobra 19 Ultra III, seems to be a discontinued model they don't list it on Cobras site. Anyways real basic 40 channel, no real features other then quick 9/19 selection. But for around $30 after my discount it is all I really need.

I gonna run a 4' firestik firefly of the back and that should be more then enough for trail rides. May upgrade the radio at some point but for now saving $60 was more important.

Rick
February 5th, 2014, 07:11 AM
But for around $30 after my discount it is all I really need.:thumb: mines off more than on due to the fact most just ramble and it drives me nuts...

The StRanger
February 5th, 2014, 07:35 AM
Only time mine is on is the trail !!
The kinda stuff ya hear it town is just BS !!

dr350jja
February 5th, 2014, 11:38 PM
The kinda stuff ya hear it town is just BS !!

You're right there...

Hypoid
February 6th, 2014, 12:52 AM
Well I ended up going a little cheaper on the CB, I got a Cobra 19 Ultra III, seems to be a discontinued model they don't list it on Cobras site.Same radio I bought at Walmart. Oddly, they don't list that model on their web site, but I still see them on the shelf in the Wheatridge store.

Overall, I have been happy with mine. The only glitch comes from using the cigarette lighter for power. Every time the power is interrupted, the radio resets to channel one.

ExplorerTom
February 6th, 2014, 08:36 AM
The only glitch comes from using the cigarette lighter for power. Every time the power is interrupted, the radio resets to channel one.

Mine did the same when I had it wired to a switched power source in the fuse box. So if you want to fix that, chop the cigarette lighter plug off and wire it into the fuse box.

ctracy5
February 6th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Sounds good, would I get any issues powering it from my ignition power from my stereo?

Hypoid
February 6th, 2014, 09:37 AM
There was some discussion about wiring directly to the battery. I'll likely do that when I can do a permanent installation.

ctracy5
February 6th, 2014, 11:25 AM
that would be easy, I will have to look at the book and see what size fuse they recommend and do an in line fuse.

Hypoid
February 6th, 2014, 12:13 PM
There was some discussion about wiring directly to the battery.Found it: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?20442-CB-install-questions

Dutch
March 7th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Only issue with wiring it up to non-switched power is its easy to forget to turn the thing off and then kill your battery.

Mike, on the 97+ XJ's for sure, and maybe the older ones there is a set of wires up under the front of the headliner used to power little vanity lights for the sun visors. They are not switched power and work great for a CB if you plan to mount it up above the rear view mirror. You can also make a little bracket to span from each of the visor clip screws to mount the CB with.

zukrider
March 7th, 2014, 09:58 PM
super simple to run a relay in place. saves the issue of dead battery.

Hypoid
March 8th, 2014, 08:26 AM
When it is time to hard wire a CB, I'll install the Cobra 75wsxt that I scored after the walmart radio. Without reading the instructions, I think that unhooking the hand set might disable the power.

That said, I've been satisfied with the 19 Ultra III and magnetic mount antenna. Although, I did screw up the compass in my overhead console with the magnetic mount. Whatever direction I am facing, the compass is off 180*. I don't need any extra help to get lost in the woods.:rolleyes: