PDA

View Full Version : Tacoma 2nd gen suspension backwards compatibility?

trailfiend
January 31st, 2014, 09:42 PM
So, I might be buying a 1st gen Tacoma soon, and I'm seeing 2007+ suspension bits on CL for pretty inexpensive.. Does anyone happen to know how backwards compatible Taco suspension stuff is? I haven't really found anything suggesting if it is or isn't, I guess I'll have to start over my learning process with a new truck to modify :)

Popsgarage
January 31st, 2014, 10:40 PM
I'll ask some of my Toyota buddies, Alex.

trailfiend
January 31st, 2014, 11:26 PM
Thanks Jon!

Geno
January 31st, 2014, 11:55 PM
!st gen ? what years? I own a 2001 4dr taco for 10 years now. with a Fab-tec 3 in and home made rear leaves.

trailfiend
February 1st, 2014, 08:10 AM
It'll first gen Taco that I buy, and I found 2007 springs and struts on CL. While I can't afford to spring for a full set of Bilstein's for a while, it would be nice to put a newer, somewhat nicer shock than what was found on the 01.

ccbruin
February 1st, 2014, 12:42 PM
I have a pair of brand new Rancho RS9000 (the adjustable ones). If your interested I could check the lengths on them

trailfiend
February 1st, 2014, 05:39 PM
I hope to take you up on that! Let me know what the lengths are, I'll wait until I get the truck/lift to buy them, but I'm certainly interested. It sounds like the stock rear shocks are 19.5" extended with 6.625" travel, and I plan on lifting 2-3". Fronts are 18"~ and 13.5" struts (saying this mostly for my own record.. that info isn't easily found).

Patrolman
February 1st, 2014, 06:39 PM
When you do the lift, are you planning on new front springs, or just a spacer?

trailfiend
February 1st, 2014, 06:54 PM
Spacer right now, new struts and springs as soon as I can afford it - I understand the spacers aren't the greatest.

Patrolman
February 1st, 2014, 07:27 PM
With the spacers, you wouldn't need a longer shock since it moves the entire shock/spring setup. Obviously in the rear with any sort of lift, longer shocks will be needed. Just FYI.

trailfiend
February 1st, 2014, 07:41 PM
Yeah, I figured as much. If I managed to find some new(er) struts for the front that would work for stock height I'd be pretty happy.

The StRanger
February 1st, 2014, 08:12 PM
Spacer right now, new struts and springs as soon as I can afford it - I understand the spacers aren't the greatest.

I think I still have two plates hangin around ?

trailfiend
February 1st, 2014, 08:27 PM
Let me know if you do, Sam :)

This is the kit I've got my eye on, for $150 it seems hard to go wrong... http://www.suspensionconnection.com/kt09114bk-tacoma-kit.html

The StRanger
February 1st, 2014, 08:53 PM
I'll check Mon. There just the plates and If I recall there 2 inch leveling plates.

The StRanger
February 1st, 2014, 08:54 PM
Is your upper mount a 3 bolt or a 4 bolt !

trailfiend
February 1st, 2014, 09:24 PM
I don't have the truck yet - from what I can tell they look like 3.

ILuvtheMountains
February 3rd, 2014, 10:14 PM
I am a member at tacomaworld.com and I often see people upgrading and selling their "old" lift setups for relatively cheap. You can always join and just lurk around the classified thread. They have one just for 1st gen tacos

The StRanger
February 3rd, 2014, 10:19 PM
Gotem.
If you want them, you got them.

trailfiend
February 3rd, 2014, 10:20 PM
Cool! I'll pm you shortly.

The StRanger
February 4th, 2014, 08:09 AM
There inch and a half..

trailfiend
February 4th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Those look good! Most of the add-a-leafs I've seen are 1.5"-2", I'm definitely interested!!

The StRanger
February 4th, 2014, 12:58 PM
I got them for free. You got them for free !

Patrolman
February 6th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Here is a set of OME front coils for $125. Figure it is probably a decent deal.

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/4305757700.html

trailfiend
February 6th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Awesome, Sam. I bought the truck - but the springs are completely done for. So I'm trying to sell the topper that it came with and an old camera that I don't use much anymore in order to buy a new suspension setup... new leaf springs, new coilovers, etc. I figure if I can get this stuff sold I'd be pretty well set to buy a full setup minus aftermarket control arms.

The StRanger
February 6th, 2014, 10:24 PM
Awesome, Sam. I bought the truck - but the springs are completely done for. So I'm trying to sell the topper that it came with and an old camera that I don't use much anymore in order to buy a new suspension setup... new leaf springs, new coilovers, etc. I figure if I can get this stuff sold I'd be pretty well set to buy a full setup minus aftermarket control arms.

Ya, If the springs are done might as well replace them with lift springs
That what I would do..

trailfiend
February 6th, 2014, 10:27 PM
That's what I did with the Jeep, figured it wasn't really worth replacing them with OEM replacements when the lift springs cost $20 more. Unfortunately lifting the Tacoma will be more expensive than the jeep, but I'm pretty sure that it'll be a better ride thanks to the IFS.

I can't wait... This thing has so much body roll, the shocks are toast.

The StRanger
February 6th, 2014, 10:34 PM
I love my IFS. Its so nice to roll off the trail, slide the seat back and just Cruise!!
I drive some of these lifted rides and they kinda ride Squerly. You cant just relax and drive..

trailfiend
February 6th, 2014, 10:46 PM
There were certainly times with my Jeep that I could relax and drive, but it got a little sketchy at higher speeds, and doesn't handle wind very well. Mostly I'm looking forward to building out my storage system for the bed... so much organization to come.