PDA

View Full Version : Roku or Chromecast?

Tom
February 2nd, 2014, 10:57 AM
Thinking of dumping cable.

Which do you have/prefer and why?

Rick
February 2nd, 2014, 11:29 AM
had Roku now for a few years with no complaints.....Im really thinking of dropping DTV as I have 300 channels and really watch 4...Have netflix and thinking of Hulu if I drop DTV

Jackie
February 2nd, 2014, 12:06 PM
We dumped cable tv several months ago and haven't missed it. We hooked up a Mac to our big screen and we have Serius radio, Netflix, Hulu, plus you can watch all the news programming as soon as they post up on the web. We burned our entire library of movies so now we don't have dvd's and jewel cases laying all over the place. It's been great!The money we've saved already has covered the cost of the Mac. The rest goes in the pocket!

Haku
February 2nd, 2014, 09:35 PM
Chromecast is a lot more limited then Roku, so I would say go with the Roku. I like Android stuff, but Google limited the capabilities of the Chromecast too much for my tastes. You can only send the stuff they want to the TV, rather then it being a realtime wireless video device that sends what YOU want to send.

A lot of gaming consoles have functions similar to the Roku, so you could get an old Xbox 360 or PS3 and try it. Old laptops work well too, just go buy a bluetooth remote or one with a USB to plug in. A 5 year old MiniMac or similar sized PC works great and you should be able to find them cheap.

Netflix is nice, haven't tried Amazon's deal, but I found Hulu to not be worth it due to commercials still being played even on the paid section. Especially when, and I'm not condoning it or saying I do this ;), you can find anything you want to watch online without commercials if you are even a bit computer savy.

I haven't paid for cable in at least 5 years. You can find just about anything you want between getting an Antenna and the internet. In truth, you can even see more stuff since you can get international shows too. I'd rather spend a bit more on the internet to bump the speed up then pay for cable that I only watch 10 out of the 500 channels they have available.

Rick
February 2nd, 2014, 09:45 PM
amen!!!!!

Southparkjk
February 3rd, 2014, 05:05 PM
Check out http://megashare.sh they have lots of movies to watch and free

Chris
February 3rd, 2014, 06:27 PM
Check out http://megashare.sh they have lots of movies to watch and free

I like that Richard, I've never used any of these to play through the TV but just might give it a try.

Any other anyone uses? I'm not interested in downloading to play...

Bob
February 5th, 2014, 10:19 PM
We use AppleTV, and the antenna for over the air shows occasionally (Broncos mainly). Use ROKU at a relative's house but like the AppleTV better. Hulu has too many commercials.We dropped DirecTV over a year ago and will never go back-what a waste of money and time with all the commercials and only a few interesting channels. Did need to increase our Skybeam internet speed from 5 to 15 Mb/s which costs more but net we still save money.

trailfiend
February 16th, 2014, 06:34 PM
I like Roku because it supports more apps than Chromecast, but Chromecast allows you to surf the web a little more if I recall. I use Netflix primarily, but Roku supports Hulu, Amazon and several others. It's also got an app for Vimeo if you like to kill some time on there watching short films and other neat stuff that can be found there.

Fordguy77
February 16th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Ive been using Roku for about the last 4 months, and it seems if you have a subscription to hulu plus its a great trade off to cable. However the free stuff is rather limited.