PDA

View Full Version : New Project, input wanted please

zukrider
February 8th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Have a new project in mind, the fruits of which will start to unfold soon. but to start, im looking for some input on an "all weather" drawer slide or something similar.

Im thinking around 30-36" with full extension if possible. needs to be capable of at least 250#s. the caveat though, it has to be able to have road grime on it all the time, and still function well.

any ideas?

zukrider
February 8th, 2014, 10:42 PM
my first thoughts are along the lines of rollers on round tube, or sealed skateboard bearings on a slide. but would it be better to have the rolling on the drawer, or on the stationary mount?

having trouble finding an example pic. hold please.

ExplorerTom
February 9th, 2014, 06:22 AM
Where are you mounting these? Doesn't sound like the Xterra.

Anyway, I've seen drawers not use any kind of bearing and instead use strips of plastic (Teflon) to slide on. But depending on just how much road grime these would see, that could be problematic after awhile. Skateboard/rollerblade bearings would be a good choice. While they may not stand up to that environment forever, if you make them easily accessible it would be easy to swap them out.

zukrider
February 9th, 2014, 11:05 AM
PM inbound Tom, dont want to publicize the idea just yet.

i had thought about the UHMW lined slides. but i think in the case of a lot of road grime, i think it will cause many issues. Now the thing i dont know is just how much road grime, if any, will be present. and due to that unknown factor, im currently planning on all the time.

flashboiler
February 9th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Seems to me you'd have to put the slides inside the drawer. I picture two stationary "rails" in side the drawer so when the drawer's closed the road grime is kept off.

zukrider
February 9th, 2014, 09:27 PM
thats not half bad an idea Andy. although with Toms response, i think i may forego the drawer and just make it a cubby. will have updated info soon!
.cuz im getting some of this
https://www.roguefab.com/inventory_images/87.jpg
and a lil bit of this!
https://www.roguefab.com/inventory_images/86.jpg