PDA

View Full Version : Bendix-9 abs 91 jeep cherokee

Coonburger
February 19th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Just figured out today what braking system my wife's jeep has and well this sucks. The pump is running on and off continously and wont even turn on till the jeep has been running for a few minutes. Figured it was the pump. Supposedly there is a recall on this system but i called a couple dealerships and they deny there is anything. With the pump doing what is doing does it sound like the pump is giving out?

The StRanger
February 19th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Just figured out today what braking system my wife's jeep has and well this sucks. The pump is running on and off continously and wont even turn on till the jeep has been running for a few minutes. Figured it was the pump. Supposedly there is a recall on this system but i called a couple dealerships and they deny there is anything. With the pump doing what is doing does it sound like the pump is giving out?

I would lean rore to the ECH/HCU..

The StRanger
February 19th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Has the recall (96V260000) Been done ?
If not talk to Jeep, I dont know about time frame for the recall. it was issued in 97.

Coonburger
February 19th, 2014, 12:16 PM
it was but here is the test from the recall. DEALERS WILL TEST THE VEHICLE'S ABS AND REPAIR AS NECESSARY. THE WARRANTY ON ALL ABS COMPONENTS WILL BE EXTENDED TO 10 YEARS OR 100,000 MILES (EXCEPT FOR THE BRAKE ACTUATOR PISTON ASSEMBLY AND THE PUMP-MOTOR ASSEMBLY WHICH WILL HAVE A LIFETIME COVERAGE). OWNERS WILL BE REIMBURSED FOR PREVIOUS ABS COMPONENT REPAIR COSTS. i dont think its the pump though i think i have a leak in the system that is causeing the pump to run all the time and its cycling on and off to keep the pressure up.

The StRanger
February 19th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Ya, Your way out of time and Mileage for the recall.
Is it showing an ABS light ?

Coonburger
February 19th, 2014, 12:45 PM
no abs light, the pump is covered lifetime but they dont make the parts anymore and i guess they are a ***** to find.

The StRanger
February 19th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Through Dealer or Napa ??

Coonburger
February 19th, 2014, 12:57 PM
dealership, if i could find a pump from a private dealer Chrysler will reimburse me. Says it right in the thing i posted up there that there is a lifetime warrenty on those two parts.

Coonburger
February 19th, 2014, 02:01 PM
think i am just gonna do a conversion get rid of that crappy system

The StRanger
February 19th, 2014, 02:18 PM
I talked to my old ABS dude and unfortunately when the dealer drops them there purdy much gone. Aftermarket may or may not have them (Probably not).
If there not a drivablity problem Id disconnection it and run it without. If not theres a place in Canada that rebuilds them but its a long turnaround time !!

xaza
February 19th, 2014, 05:00 PM
I unplugged my ABS relay when I did my axle swap. Not an issue for me since I grew up with vehicles that I had to pump the brakes on. Make sure and only unplug fuse for ABS system or you can lose power brakes. You can change the booster to a 96+ Cherokee which is a dual diaphram and will give better braking power. There are threads about converting the whole ABS off a 96, will see if I can find one.

Hypoid
February 19th, 2014, 06:22 PM
think i am just gonna do a conversion get rid of that crappy systemBest option!

Our '90 had the Bendix-9 system. The big problem I had was the 60-amp relay for the pump motor, mounted under the coolant surge tank. Sometimes, the relay would fail and the pump would not build pressure to power the brakes. :eek:

In your case, the reservoir pressure drops and the pump cycles at seemingly random intervals. This is purported to be the reason for the random fires (under the hood) when the pump runs constantly. If you don't have to drive the XJ, disable the pump motor. I you have to drive the XJ, disconnect the battery every time you park it.

What I did, was replace the ABS menagerie with a dual diaphragm booster from a '95 XJ. I also helped a bud with a few more RENIX jeeps that were afflicted with the Bendix-9 ABS system.

We harvested dual diaphragm boosters, master cylinders, proportioning valves, and front brake lines from 1995 and 1996 XJs. He replaced the hard line to the rear brakes on his, I grafted mine in with a union. The '87 to '90 XJs require enlarging the hole in the rod that connects to the brake pedal. When I was researching my swap, there was tremendous confusion over swapping to the Chrysler pedal assemblies. If the hole in the connecting rod fits your pedal, you are golden.

What we found was that the pedal was soft and had a lot of travel before really feeling the brakes work. The primary problem is that the rear cylinders, drums, and shoes are smaller on the Bendix-9 system. I think my bud swapped out the rear cylinders to correct this one one XJ. We both now run 10-inch drum brakes with the respective wheel cylinders. His is a D-35, mine is a D-44, both with parts that are standard to the '87 to '90 Cherokees. Both Jeeps stop with ease and have a firm pedal feel.

I'm sure there are a few details that I missed, but that is the meat of the swap.

HTH