PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Anniversary Run

Pages : [1] 2

Chris
February 22nd, 2014, 12:05 PM
I just noticed this didn't exist already. For those that are new this is an annual run on China Wall, more meet & greet than wheeling but plenty of wheeling does happen as the trail is suitable for stock trucks by bypassing obstacles and still fun for built trucks.

RSVP: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2014-3-8&e=613&c=1

Rick
February 23rd, 2014, 09:31 AM
oops!!!!i thought when it went on the calendar it was a"planned" run

Chris
February 23rd, 2014, 06:03 PM
No worries Rick, it appears this may not even to needed but my old habits are hard to stop. :D

I'm a maybe on the RSVP and hope to make this run since I've missed the last couple. I plan to get some final work for the season done soon but a tweaked knee is slowing me down while the days are going fast!

Rick
February 23rd, 2014, 06:10 PM
but my old habits are hard to stop.:thumb:

Tom
February 24th, 2014, 11:52 AM
I'm out. Death in the family. Funeral is that Sat.

(My nephews wife's father. I only met him once, but my nephew who I'm extremely close to would like me to attend.)

Chris
February 24th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Sorry to hear this Tom, there'll be another one next year.

Rick
February 24th, 2014, 01:51 PM
like Chris said always next year....Go take care of Family

sunk
February 26th, 2014, 09:34 AM
Thinkin bout stayin up Friday night. Is anyone camping?

Rick
February 26th, 2014, 09:58 AM
so far I am...Ed is also(southpaw).....If I camp Im heading up around 3 or 330 from my place..

sunk
February 26th, 2014, 10:17 AM
K, will probably join you and Ed. I can possibly get a half day friday and I am trying to get a friend to tag along

The StRanger
February 26th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Im all pumped for this !!!!

sunk
February 26th, 2014, 11:03 AM
I need a new glamour shot for my avatar

ctracy5
February 26th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Got the day off and almost got the trooper ready go!

Rick
February 26th, 2014, 11:19 AM
K, will probably join you and Ed. I can possibly get a half day friday and I am trying to get a friend to tag along
cool....Ill let you know about times on friday as it gets closer,maybe drive down together

Rick
February 26th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Got the day off and almost got the trooper ready go!
:thumb:

sunk
February 26th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Almost 350 members and only bout 50 people responded to this run. Whats up with that, isnt this the big run of the year?

Come out and meet some new people...

Rick
February 26th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Almost 350 members and only bout 50 people responded to this run.:erm::confused:

sunk
February 26th, 2014, 12:07 PM
I guess there are no rules that state that we have a club meeting and I always viewed this run as a "club meeting"

Right now there are 21 people attending and like 15 maybes.

Perhaps we can re-name the run as "2014 Front Range 4x4 Anniversary Club run"

Just sayin'...am I wrong?

Rick
February 26th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Its been the same way my last 2,this will make my 3rd......last year due to weather hardly anyone showed but was still a blast....... A lot wait till the last second from what Ive seen....

The StRanger
February 26th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Almost 350 members and only bout 50 people responded to this run.

But a lot of those are shadow members.

The StRanger
February 26th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Its been the same way my last 2,this will make my 3rd......last year due to weather hardly anyone showed but was still a blast....... A lot wait till the last second from what Ive seen....

I cant remember what I had last year.
I was all set to go and !!! Wolay !!!

ctracy5
February 26th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Weather got me last year, truck wasn't ready for those conditions and I didn't want to have to drive all the way back to Fort Collins in the snow, but nothing is stopping this year :steer:

Chris
February 26th, 2014, 01:50 PM
But a lot of those are shadow members.

Sam's right for a lot of members that will wash out over the next year as Jim institutes the rules. That being said the turnout is typically disappointing ever since the one where Pete got a bunch of cool stuff donated for the give-away. Being the only one to put the effort into that it didn't happen again so people hoping to draw a winning number seem to have dropped off. I'm sure the weather has lots to do with it for fair-weather wheelers too.

I can't really be critical since March is typically a time Barb and I take a trip which is why I missed the last few myself. :redface:

Jackie
February 26th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Almost 350 members and only bout 50 people responded to this run. Whats up with that, isnt this the big run of the year?

Don't let that bother you, Adam. The people that ARE going are going to have a great time and you will have a great time meeting them and making new wheeling friends. :thumb:
I am one of the "fair-weathered" wheelers that Chris referred to.:redface: If I go this year... it will be a last-minute decision. (Note to self: Get the oil changed).

The StRanger
February 26th, 2014, 02:35 PM
I can't really be critical since March is typically a time Barb and I take a trip which is why I missed the last few myself. :redface:

And Im up for just about anything But a deep freeze..
And where sher is a Manager. she works hard 5 days a week..
Weekends are the time she rest, So she may make it, She may not !!

Southparkjk
February 26th, 2014, 03:01 PM
will I'm back from the cold and snow on the east coast and I'll be there. Last year was cold and snowy but we still had a good time. I got the lift on and new tires for this year so should be able to make it up the trail this year...hope so anyway:2thumbup:

Rick
February 26th, 2014, 03:01 PM
What I found funny last year was that the weather was worse in Denver,Dropped over the pass and the weather really lightened up......Dont let the weather in Denver turn you away....its a whole different world over there:thumb:

Southparkjk
February 26th, 2014, 03:04 PM
yes it is. I live by Fairplay so if anyone wants to know what the weather is like just ask...

foxtrot
February 26th, 2014, 03:08 PM
I'll be going up the night before and camping Saturday night also, I don't care about weather lol

Chris
February 26th, 2014, 03:40 PM
What I found funny last year was that the weather was worse in Denver,Dropped over the pass and the weather really lightened up......Dont let the weather in Denver turn you away....its a whole different world over there:thumb:

Yep, that was the case with the 2nd Anniversary (IIRC) and the drive was terrible until the pass. Lots of people looked out the window that morning and went back to bed missing a good day.

Funrover
February 26th, 2014, 03:52 PM
I made the first one, been stuck at work on the rest. Looks to be the same this year. Have fun all!

Adaa60
February 26th, 2014, 08:36 PM
I'm trying really really hard to have the Xj ready to go. It might not be able to " crawl " but I'm damn well gonna try. I will be solo I think tho. I can't take a newborn rock crawling, could get shaken baby syndrome. And gots no babysitter.

javaman34
February 26th, 2014, 08:42 PM
I'm trying really really hard to have the Xj ready to go. It might not be able to " crawl " but I'm damn well gonna try. I will be solo I think tho. I can't take a newborn rock crawling, could get shaken baby syndrome. And gots no babysitter.

Invest in some really soft pillows.

The StRanger
February 26th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Invest in some really soft pillows.

Ya. A newborn ???
Im thinkin next year to go crawlin !!

javaman34
February 26th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Ya. A newborn ???

At least.

Jackie
February 26th, 2014, 09:04 PM
Rob - I know a few girls that might be willing to babysit if you need a referral. They live here in Westminster.

Chris
February 26th, 2014, 09:17 PM
Ya. A newborn ???

When you want some info on that search for a thread by Backcountryislife as I recall there was a good discussion on bringing babies on runs when he had his.

Max
February 26th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Kaleb's kid probably has it's own snowmobile by now!

Chris
February 26th, 2014, 09:40 PM
I was thinking the same thing Max.

Kaleb knows safety and protective gear which is why I remember the thread.

Rick
February 26th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Kaleb knows safety and protective gear which is why I remember the thread.http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?16906-any-of-you-guys-wheel-with-a-little-one/page3

Adaa60
February 26th, 2014, 09:56 PM
She's breastfeeding so I can't have a baby sitter and she was born on the 22nd I Dont think I would feel safe with her with a sitter so soon.

javaman34
February 26th, 2014, 09:59 PM
She's breastfeeding so I can't have a baby sitter and she was born on the 22nd I Dont think I would feel safe with her with a sitter so soon.

That is a very good point. Any pics of the new member going to be posted?

javaman34
February 26th, 2014, 10:00 PM
Never mind, I just saw them.

Adaa60
February 26th, 2014, 10:04 PM
Never mind, I just saw them.

Lol

javaman34
February 26th, 2014, 10:11 PM
I'm a little slow at times, but I will eventually catch up.

ctracy5
February 27th, 2014, 08:52 AM
I can't rember how old Kaleb's son was on that clean-up run but not very and He seemed to enjoy it.

scout man
February 27th, 2014, 09:52 AM
I haven't paid much attention to this till today, but I may come. If I do I will likely go up the night before. Depends on weather for me though. 4x4 is having trouble on the tow rig, and still have the half doors on the scout. I trailered up last year and REALLY needed the 4x4 (which still worked then).

ColoJeeper
February 27th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Y'all have fun and take lots of pictures. Wish I could go, but am on call and can't get that far from a phone or computer.

gm4x4lover
February 27th, 2014, 01:00 PM
I made the first one, been stuck at work on the rest. Looks to be the same this year. Have fun all!

Same here. Saturdays are mandatory. One day I would like to make at least on anv run.

The StRanger
February 27th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Same here. Saturdays are mandatory. One day I would like to make at least on anv run.

Ya, Know how ya feel. I had to do Every Sat...
Now I do every 3rd !!

Chris
February 27th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Looks like it's safe to change to Yes so I changed my RSVP. :thumb:

foxtrot
February 27th, 2014, 09:17 PM
What time do you guys think everyone will get to the trail? Is the meeting spot still that big open field near the begining

Max
February 27th, 2014, 09:18 PM
The first meeting spot is the Safeway in Conifer. You can always meet at the trail head later than that though.

all can meet at the SAFEWAY parking lot in Conifer off of HWY 285 at 9AM
27152 Main St, Conifer, CO 80433

foxtrot
February 27th, 2014, 09:19 PM
I'm going up the night before, but a friend is driving up Saturday from Colorado Springs and is wondering what time to leave to get there at the same time

The Dude
February 28th, 2014, 07:00 AM
RSVP'd

:woot:

Chris
February 28th, 2014, 07:48 AM
What time do you guys think everyone will get to the trail? Is the meeting spot still that big open field near the begining

If everyone meeting as Safeway leaves at 9am we should hit China Wall around 10 though I think 10:30 is more realistic. The open field makes it easy to connect, just look for the people who are camping since they'll be there long before everyone making the drive.

Myrtle Turtle
February 28th, 2014, 06:18 PM
I'm still coming on this run, but I'll now be a white JKU instead of a silver JK. I'll try to get some pics this weekend and change my avatar.

Jackie
February 28th, 2014, 06:27 PM
but I'll now be a white JKU i

:smokin: Drool... Is it new?

Myrtle Turtle
February 28th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Not really, it's a 2013 and been wheeled hard since last December when we picked it up new. It will be very different for me, bigger & auto instead of small & manual. I might need a spotter to get into a parking spot.

Jackie
February 28th, 2014, 06:47 PM
Haha! Excited for you. You'll do fine and there will be plenty of spotters on the trail. I like the short-body auto, but my next one will be the JKU if I have my say. (Also an auto - I can drive a manual, but I don't like to).

The StRanger
February 28th, 2014, 11:08 PM
Haha! Excited for you. You'll do fine and there will be plenty of spotters on the trail. I like the short-body auto, but my next one will be the JKU if I have my say. (Also an auto - I can drive a manual, but I don't like to).

I always prefer a auto when wheeling..

Fordguy77
March 1st, 2014, 07:07 AM
Looks like for the first time I'll make this run.

Desert Rat
March 1st, 2014, 10:45 AM
I'm in. There will be 3 of us (myself, wife, and daughter).

However, I've gotta ask, why early March for the major annual group event? My desert blood isn't real fond of snow, ice, cold, and by March I've had fully enough of winter. It would seem that July in the Colorado high country would be ideal? Is there another big summer group picnic/event that gets planned? It's all good, just curious.

Geoff

Max
March 1st, 2014, 10:47 AM
However, I've gotta ask, why early March for the major annual group event?

Every year I ask myself the same thing.

Jackie
March 1st, 2014, 11:08 AM
Geoff - I think that was when FR4x4 was first born and it has been an annual tradition. I agree - I hate the cold, snow and ice. And I wish it was at least planned for April, but... I have also experienced some really nice weather and trail conditions on previous runs up there - so you never know.

You could think about planning another event similar to this any time of the year you choose! Just pick a date and a trail and things will fall into place.

Chris
March 1st, 2014, 11:13 AM
by March I've had fully enough of winter.

and the need to get out and wheel!

Fordguy77
March 1st, 2014, 04:34 PM
When/Where are people meeting up for camping? I don't get off work until 3:30 that day, but would like to still get down there Friday night.

foxtrot
March 1st, 2014, 10:36 PM
I'll probably be in Denver by 11 or 12, I'm going to hit a couple junk yards and head up, but I can wait for you, I'm in no rush lol

Jackie
March 1st, 2014, 10:39 PM
Christopher - if you know how to find the trail, you will have no trouble finding the campers. The initial approach is an uphill drive on a rather steep and narrow trail but when you reach the top, it's a wide open area. You'll figure it out from there!:thumb: More than likely, you'll see the massive camp fire!

Rick
March 2nd, 2014, 08:38 AM
you cant miss it...we are right at the base of the trail where it goes up the hill and to the right into the trees

Rick
March 2nd, 2014, 08:40 AM
I will be leaving by 3pm at the latest..got off work at 1:30 and just have to wait for daughters boyfriend to get to the house....(This may make or brake him):D

Jackie
March 2nd, 2014, 08:53 AM
just have to wait for daughters boyfriend to get to the house....(This may make or brake him)

Haha! Is he going to camp with you?

Rick
March 2nd, 2014, 09:01 AM
Haha! Is he going to camp with you?Yep!!!should be interesting..He hasn't totally won me over so my daughter thought this would be a good opportunity.....:confused:

Jackie
March 2nd, 2014, 09:11 AM
It could be a great opportunity. Spending time with him "as part of your family" and see how that works. I'll never forget the day our son-in-law came over to our house unannounced to ask for our daughter's hand. He's been a welcome member to the family ever since.

Rick
March 2nd, 2014, 09:26 AM
It could be a great opportunity.and if not I'll leave em there:D JK,should be a good time

Rick
March 2nd, 2014, 09:45 AM
looks good so far!!! http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Jefferson+CO+USCO0208:1:US

javaman34
March 2nd, 2014, 10:23 AM
Good. As long as it stays that way.

Rick
March 2nd, 2014, 10:49 AM
Good. As long as it stays that way.Good if it doesn't....last year was a blast I thought

Brad
March 2nd, 2014, 11:44 AM
20's as a low with 60% chance of snow in woodland park Friday night about the same in hartsel, I am passing on the camping. Looks like we will be meeting in conifer at 9 am in the 98 Disco. :thumb:

Desert Rat
March 2nd, 2014, 04:30 PM
and the need to get out and wheel!

You are right on there! The wife and I are going to Moab in two weeks (staying at Archview Resort March 15 - 18) for our 19 year wedding anniversary too! Did I mention my wife rocks?

Brad
March 2nd, 2014, 05:50 PM
I expect a report Geoff! I will be there the following week. :thumb:

Chris
March 3rd, 2014, 11:47 AM
18 maybe's with 5 days to go? Time to commit to this! :steer:

alexb
March 3rd, 2014, 11:50 AM
18 maybe's with 5 days to go? Time to commit to this

17 maybes. I'll see you all there. :)

Rick
March 3rd, 2014, 12:10 PM
17 maybes. I'll see you all there.:thumb:

javaman34
March 3rd, 2014, 12:36 PM
17 maybes. I'll see you all there.

I've already been told I should be committed for doing this so early in the year. :lmao:

Rick
March 3rd, 2014, 12:37 PM
I've already been told I should be committed for doing this so early in the year.I promise,you guys will have a blast

javaman34
March 3rd, 2014, 12:42 PM
I promise,you guys will have a blast

I know we will. I was telling my mother about it and she is the one that thinks I should be committed. She said I just get the Bronco back together and now I'm going to take it out and tear it up and get it stuck in the snow.

The StRanger
March 3rd, 2014, 12:45 PM
And I get to try out these new Hancook's

Chris
March 3rd, 2014, 03:02 PM
now I'm going to take it out and tear it up and get it stuck in the snow.

Why else get it Back together? :D

Rick
March 3rd, 2014, 03:08 PM
Why else get it Back together?right!!:lmao:

xaza
March 3rd, 2014, 03:38 PM
Am slow and haven't been keeping up with this thread since I can't go. Saw someone ask about other big group runs later and the answer is YES. We are responsible for the clean up of Barbour Fork and Devils Canyon trails twice per year. The trail is a seasonal trail open from June 15th to Dec 1st, I think. So we usually run one shortly after trail opens and again before it closes. These are other great runs to get to know each other on trails everybody can run.

The StRanger
March 3rd, 2014, 04:07 PM
Yes there are.
If a all possable I make both runs
Always a good time !!

javaman34
March 3rd, 2014, 07:47 PM
Why else get it Back together? :D

The funny thing is I really didn't have to put it back together. Everything I have done to it has been routine maintenance. Nothing more.

Rick
March 3rd, 2014, 08:53 PM
17 maybes. I'll see you all there.4 :woot:days

southpaws3
March 3rd, 2014, 09:16 PM
We will be there Friday evening (we'll turn the fire on ). friend of mine was there this weekend NO SNOW ONLY IN THE SHADE ,but wet and a little greasy. they said trails have been changed again, and the road construction is better

Adaa60
March 3rd, 2014, 09:31 PM
So this is stupid. I got super excited for this run and got all sorts of stuff for my toy so I can go and its not all here yet or I can't replace it because I Dont know how or the people who are supposed to be doing the work are being unreliable. I'm starting to think my rig will not be trail ready in time.....

Its making me a very sad panda

Adaa60
March 3rd, 2014, 09:32 PM
And I'm pretty sure I can't go off roaring in my sabb turbo :(

javaman34
March 3rd, 2014, 09:33 PM
So this is stupid. I got super excited for this run and got all sorts of stuff for my toy so I can go and its not all here yet or I can't replace it because I Dont know how or the people who are supposed to be doing the work are being unreliable. I'm starting to think my rig will not be trail ready in time.....

Its making me a very sad panda

Well, at least come out for the meet and greet. It will be fun either way.

Adaa60
March 3rd, 2014, 09:36 PM
Unless something really really really bad happened I plan on being there. Maybe I can get rick to let me ride with him or something if I can't get my lil monster ready in time.

Jackie
March 3rd, 2014, 10:03 PM
Rob - Your Sabb Will get you far enough to enjoy the day. Just make it to the picnic spot (or even just to Conifer) and then hitch a ride-along with someone else if it comes to that. No problem with that. The last time I was up there I ended up with two unexpected passengers in my Jeep for the trail run because the truck they drove broke down in Conifer (and I had never met these guys before). At the end of the day, I drove them back to Conifer, waited for them to fix the problem with their truck and followed them back home to Westminster to make sure they made it. It's all good!:thumb:

Adaa60
March 3rd, 2014, 10:50 PM
OK so I've never been to china wall. Is snow expected or will it be a dry or muddy trail? Anyone know?

Adaa60
March 4th, 2014, 06:19 AM
Ohh yea, anyone think they could bring there cb tune equipment with them so I can get a hand setting up this new cb got. I picked up a really nice BearCat 880 from my local pawnshop for $65 but I can't get it to work properly

xaza
March 4th, 2014, 07:20 AM
If the CB is not working properly I would make sure and wait to get it on a meter before toying with it much. A bad antenna ground will burn up a CB. If nobody else has a SWR meter for run, I can meet up with Rick and let him borrow mine or even could help one evening this week if you could make it down to me. Would be willing to help you with your other projects but am neck deep in stuff right now that should be done in next couple weeks. We are setting our first R&P set among other goodies I haven't mentioned yet. :D

sunk
March 4th, 2014, 07:26 AM
I will bring my VSWR meter and would be happy to help out anyone that needs some tuning on their CB.

I ended up getting the day off work and will probably head up early on Friday. Its just me in the truck so I have room for someone if they want to tag along, just let me know

foxtrot
March 4th, 2014, 09:13 AM
When on Friday are you heading up? I was planning on being there around 2 but was thinking about waiting if no one else was going to be there that early

Rick
March 4th, 2014, 09:13 AM
cya up there around 430 5oclock

sunk
March 4th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Not sure yet, I dont have anything else going on so Ill load up the truck and head up there maybe around 11 or 12...

I wasnt sure if I was going to stay Saturday night or not

Rick
March 4th, 2014, 10:07 AM
head up there maybe around 11 or 12...ill be bringing up some scrap firewood i have around the house.Should I bring my chainsaw??

The StRanger
March 4th, 2014, 12:28 PM
Im getin all giddy and stuff..
I realy need to get some durt on my tires !!!!

Rick
March 4th, 2014, 12:30 PM
:jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::steer:

The StRanger
March 4th, 2014, 12:32 PM
:frontrange4x4:

alexb
March 4th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Just finished this upgrade in time before Saturday. Should give me a few inches more clearance and some more horsepower for sure!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-SBfYzGzKBVs/UxX6ABAPScI/AAAAAAAAlq8/PvCGlpT95NM/w876-h657-no/IMG_20140304_090557.jpg

Chris
March 4th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Now you will never get stuck Alex! Guaranteed!

Me on the other hand just finished re-installing my winch after Jim fixed it last Fall so I'm ready. ;)

Robert B
March 4th, 2014, 04:42 PM
okay im thinking of putting this in a separate thread too but I am seriously thinking of heading up Thursday so when yall show up FIND ME!! I will be there ... not the clearing right off the road but most likely the second one up (meeting place for most years but last year in the snow)

foxtrot
March 4th, 2014, 05:09 PM
I wasn't aware that the meeting place changed. I'll be at the one it was at the first few years. is that where we are doing the cook out?

javaman34
March 4th, 2014, 05:15 PM
I thought we were meeting up at the Safeway in Conifer and going from there to where we are cooking at.

Rick
March 4th, 2014, 05:38 PM
(meeting place for most years but last year in the snow)i believe we are camping where it was last year.

Rick
March 4th, 2014, 05:39 PM
I'll be at the one it was at the first few years. is that where we are doing the cook out?Last year that big meadow off to the right off the trail was closed

Rick
March 4th, 2014, 05:40 PM
I thought we were meeting up at the Safeway in Conifer and going from there to where we are cooking at.you are

Rick
March 4th, 2014, 05:48 PM
you can kinda see the trail going up the hill behind the scout.. you go up that hill, you passed us waving you down.

Robert B
March 4th, 2014, 05:54 PM
okay well ill see if its open then but yes find me wherever I am lol :)

Rick
March 4th, 2014, 05:57 PM
we'll find ya....that'll be half of friday nights fun...Night Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:steer:

Rick
March 4th, 2014, 06:28 PM
18 maybe's going on Wed??????:confused:

foxtrot
March 4th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Is that the field at the very beginning before you go up that first hill? There is no way I'm camping there lol, way to close to the main road for my comfort

Rick
March 4th, 2014, 06:58 PM
I dont recall being that close to the main road.....get up there and get us a spot...I just want some trees and not out in the open

foxtrot
March 4th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Lol ok, I'm sure we will get a hood spot. Since you will be up there Robert, I'm going to leave first thing in the morning

scout man
March 4th, 2014, 07:55 PM
dang my scout looks small in that picture.

Shane
March 4th, 2014, 10:30 PM
Wanted to go last year Jeff Dunham, this year work; man I need to hit the lotto or something missing all the fun!

Brad
March 5th, 2014, 06:18 AM
dang my scout looks small in that picture.

Bill and Ed always make our rigs look small. :D

Rick
March 6th, 2014, 11:22 AM
its Thursday just to remind the "Maybes":D

The Dude
March 6th, 2014, 11:41 AM
I hope it's not snowy.. My heep needs tires. :frown: and I wanna do the main obstacle again. Haven't done it since... April? Last year..

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy125/DSchulten/th_20130414_134216_zps4e528085.jpg (http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy125/DSchulten/20130414_134216_zps4e528085.mp4)

Not bad for my first try. :cool:

I was all cocky after getting back from Moab in March though.

Rick
March 6th, 2014, 11:59 AM
I hope it's not snowy.. My heep needs tires.you'll be fine Dustin:thumb: you should come up campin

The Dude
March 6th, 2014, 12:18 PM
you'll be fine Dustin:thumb: you should come up campin

If only I could convince my lady. She doesn't do the winter weather camping thing. Which is a bit of a bummer, because I just bought a new full length 4 season thermarest xtherm sleeping pad I'm dying to try out.

I suppose there's no harm in asking though. (usually)

Rick
March 6th, 2014, 12:20 PM
I suppose there's no harm in asking though. (usually)you wont know unless you ask:D It'll be funnnnn!!!!!

Tazer
March 6th, 2014, 12:26 PM
If i can't get my rig registered and ready to go by Saturday, can i ride shotgun with anyone?

The StRanger
March 6th, 2014, 01:17 PM
I may not make it for the 9 AM Connifer meet, But
We will be there !!

Rick
March 6th, 2014, 01:50 PM
be lookin for ya!

alexb
March 6th, 2014, 02:47 PM
If i can't get my rig registered and ready to go by Saturday, can i ride shotgun with anyone?

I'll have an empty seat and I'm sure many others will too. You are more than welcome to ride along.

Rick
March 6th, 2014, 03:38 PM
start scramblin!!!!

xaza
March 6th, 2014, 03:58 PM
As of today my class for Saturday has been cancelled so I might be able to pull things together to make it. Still a long shot, but up to a maybe at least! Likely won't have my truck if I make it and haven't talked to brother since finding out so we might just hang out at camp site.

Rick
March 6th, 2014, 04:00 PM
As of today my class for Saturday has been cancelled so I might be able to pull things together to make it. Still a long shot, but up to a maybe at least! Likely won't have my truck if I make it and haven't talked to brother since finding out so we might just hang out at camp site.
Hope you can make it Cliff

Fordguy77
March 6th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Campings gonna be a tad bit Cold for some of us

Jim
March 6th, 2014, 06:12 PM
Rideshare

I'll be traveling from Fort Collins - doing a down-n-back on Saturday. Pass seat's open if anyone wants a ride. Back seat - could be had - but it'd be tight.

Jackie
March 6th, 2014, 06:13 PM
Campings gonna be a tad bit Cold for some of us

...just a "tad"! (Bring extra blankets and hang out by the fire!). Looks like it could be snowy up there too.

Rick
March 6th, 2014, 06:15 PM
(Bring extra blankets and hang out by the fire!).yep!!!

Rick
March 6th, 2014, 06:23 PM
I have a little propane heater that keeps the tent pretty toasty.used it all the time b4 the camper days.It honestly crossed my mind to pull the camper down there.just for a sec...to much work for a night

Rick
March 6th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Campings gonna be a tad bit Cold for some of usYou camping?

Fordguy77
March 6th, 2014, 07:08 PM
You camping?
Yep i am. Hoping my heavy duty three season can pretend to be a 4 season tent haha

Rick
March 6th, 2014, 07:13 PM
lol..I have a 3 season also that usually does its best in the warm ones.........lotsa blankets and bags....we'll be fine

Rick
March 6th, 2014, 07:14 PM
when are you heading out?

dink
March 6th, 2014, 07:19 PM
I don't post much on here but I can't wait to meet and wheel with you guys!

Jackie
March 6th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Last time (and I mean LAST time) I went camping in cold weather, I ended up sitting in my Jeep with the heater running in order to warm up. Didn't get much sleep. I stayed in the tent until about 4 or 5 AM, but then I gave up and went for the heat. Once we re-started the fire and got some coffee brewing, I was OK. I'm ready for summer!

ctracy5
March 6th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Rideshare

I'll be traveling from Fort Collins - doing a down-n-back on Saturday. Pass seat's open if anyone wants a ride. Back seat - could be had - but it'd be tight.

Hey Jim you want to caravan down? I will be doing the down and back from foco as well.

ctracy5
March 6th, 2014, 07:32 PM
I'm ready for summer!

X2

Jim
March 6th, 2014, 08:10 PM
Hey Jim you want to caravan down? I will be doing the down and back from foco as well.

It looks to be right about 3 hours for the drive. I was thinking of leaving at 7:30a to be to the TH @ 10:30a/11a. Conifer is the mid-point (1.5 hours to Conifer, 1.5 hours Conifer to trailhead - says google maps). Folks are meeting @ Conifer @ 9a and would likely get moving at 9:30 to be at the TH at 11a.

We could meet at the Harmony Road / I-25 park-n-ride @ 7:15a...

Fordguy77
March 6th, 2014, 08:13 PM
when are you heading out?
I'm stuck at work until 3 then have to run my friend to the airport right after work then I'll be on my way. Probably not leaving denver till 430 if I'm lucky

Crashman
March 6th, 2014, 08:38 PM
I just want to make it up the wall

Rick
March 6th, 2014, 08:57 PM
lookin like I can get out now by 130ish:jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::j iggy::jiggy:

Rick
March 6th, 2014, 08:58 PM
Probably not leaving denver till 430 if I'm luckywe'll keep an eye out for ya around 7-730

DHYDR8D
March 6th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Sooooo..... I may be getting my Jeep back tomorrow from the body shop after four months and need to get out in the woods. Wife says its a bad idea to go with a "brand new" vehicle. I know most will say go...but lets give the wife some good reasons to go. Oh yeah I have a 2 month old that needs some mountain experience.

Chris
March 6th, 2014, 09:54 PM
but lets give the wife some good reasons to go

Tell her you'll be gone all day and she'll have the day to herself. Works for my wife! :lmao:

The StRanger
March 6th, 2014, 09:56 PM
Last time (and I mean LAST time) I went camping in cold weather, I ended up sitting in my Jeep with the heater running in order to warm up. Didn't get much sleep. I stayed in the tent until about 4 or 5 AM, but then I gave up and went for the heat. Once we re-started the fire and got some coffee brewing, I was OK. I'm ready for summer!

My last cold camp was Klondike with the scouts. That was like 3 years ago.
Im just getin to old for that stuff !! Spend one night out and Two weeks to recover !!

Jackie
March 6th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Oh yeah I have a 2 month old that needs some mountain experience.

I'm thinking your 2-month old needs some alone time with Grandma!!! If I lived closer to you, I might be willing to practice at being a "grandma"!:D

Chris
March 6th, 2014, 09:58 PM
Im just getin to old for that stuff !! Spend one night out and Two weeks to recover !!

Leave camping to the youngsters Sam. Roughing it in my book is a camper with heat!

The StRanger
March 6th, 2014, 10:01 PM
My camping now is mostly in the back yard with Dahl
Summer summer, summer !!

Jackie
March 6th, 2014, 10:01 PM
Roughing it in my book is a camper with heat!

Roughing it in my book, is "What do you mean you don't have a coffee maker in every room?"

foxtrot
March 6th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Tell her you need to test it and make sure they put it together right

ctracy5
March 6th, 2014, 10:19 PM
It looks to be right about 3 hours for the drive. I was thinking of leaving at 7:30a to be to the TH @ 10:30a/11a. Conifer is the mid-point (1.5 hours to Conifer, 1.5 hours Conifer to trailhead - says google maps). Folks are meeting @ Conifer @ 9a and would likely get moving at 9:30 to be at the TH at 11a.

We could meet at the Harmony Road / I-25 park-n-ride @ 7:15a...

Sounds good, see you Saturday morning.

Jim
March 6th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Sounds good, see you Saturday morning.

OK!

Crashman
March 6th, 2014, 10:34 PM
Did I miss what cb channel ?

Jim
March 6th, 2014, 10:38 PM
I don't see it listed on the run RSVP page.

It's typically Channel 4.

Rick
March 6th, 2014, 10:41 PM
I don't see it listed on the run RSVP page.

It's typically Channel 4.with 31 rigs ,just yell out the window

Tazer
March 7th, 2014, 06:22 AM
I'll have an empty seat and I'm sure many others will too. You are more than welcome to ride along.
Thanks, I'll let you know later tonight.

alexb
March 7th, 2014, 06:31 AM
Thanks, I'll let you know later tonight.

Sorry to flip flop but my family decided to come with so all my seats are full. I know Jim has offered a seat also and I'm positive that if you show up in Conifer you won't be stranded.

Sorry again.

Rick
March 7th, 2014, 06:47 AM
positive that if you show up in Conifer you won't be stranded.yep

ctracy5
March 7th, 2014, 07:26 AM
I will have 3 or 4 open seats.

Crashman
March 7th, 2014, 07:34 AM
I may even have seats open my family keeps changing there mind also my friend has a seat open

Shane
March 7th, 2014, 07:57 AM
What is the latest that everyone is planning on being up their? I am going to see if I can get away with working half a day on Saturday.

Jim
March 7th, 2014, 08:03 AM
What is the latest that everyone is planning on being up their?

With the "meeting" at Conifer at 9am, the group would likely get on the road for the trail at 9:30am. From Conifer to the trail, Google Maps says the trip is 1.5 hours. So, most folks would get there about 11am.

I have yet to be at one of the Anniversary Runs, but I'd imagine people would be there until 4 or maybe 5pm (but I could be wildly wrong on the ending time).

Shane
March 7th, 2014, 08:19 AM
I missed last years and was hoping to make it to this years. Seems like it going to be a great turn out!!

The StRanger
March 7th, 2014, 08:22 AM
We're think we may leave here about 9ish ..

Shane
March 7th, 2014, 08:38 AM
Depending on the work load for tomorrow and what time I get home I might be able to make it up their even if it was for an hour or two. I wont won't know for sure until later tonight or tomorrow morning. If I can get half the day off I would probably leave the house between 12 and 1.

Rick
March 7th, 2014, 08:47 AM
i usually stay till at least 5

The StRanger
March 7th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Depending on the work load for tomorrow and what time I get home I might be able to make it up their even if it was for an hour or two. I wont won't know for sure until later tonight or tomorrow morning. If I can get half the day off I would probably leave the house between 12 and 1.
I hope so. It would be nice to have ya !!

Tazer
March 7th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Where is everyone camping? And when?

foxtrot
March 7th, 2014, 09:13 AM
I'll be there until around 10 on Sunday :)

foxtrot
March 7th, 2014, 09:19 AM
I'll be camping a little bit down the trail near a big open field. I'm getting ready to leave now and it's a 4 hour drive. I'm sure you will see us camping. If you get lost, feel free to give me a call, my number is on the rescue list

Rick
March 7th, 2014, 09:23 AM
Where is everyone camping? And when?myself and Ed(southpaw) are trying to leave the c470 and bowles area by 2pm my cell is 720-371-0568...call if ya need to

Tazer
March 7th, 2014, 09:23 AM
I'll be camping a little bit down the trail near a big open field. I'm getting ready to leave now and it's a 4 hour drive. I'm sure you will see us camping. If you get lost, feel free to give me a call, my number is on the rescue list

ok I'll see you there. Wife said I can go camping :). I get of work around 3, have some finishing up to do on the jeep then I'll head. Should be there around 9 or 10.

Rick
March 7th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Should be there around 9 or 10.we'll have a fire and drinks for ya

WW2AVG
March 7th, 2014, 09:47 AM
I just received a report from Robert B. He just arrived at the trailhead (Fri - 0942). He reports "atm not any snow on start of trail". I will send along updates if/as I receive them from Robert.

Just FYI, I saw a weather report for Lake George that was saying a 90% chance of snow today. Possibly 2" - 4" today and an additional 1" - 3" tonight.

ctracy5
March 7th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Las test weather

http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/US/CO/Tarryall.html

Tazer
March 7th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Well good thing my wife is buying me a new 5 degree sleeping bag lol

ctracy5
March 7th, 2014, 09:59 AM
it went up about 6 degrees from this morning, but still about 5-8" of snow, I doubt that much will stick but should make for a muddy trail, YAY! As long as there is not a lot of ice I will be happy.

Its snowing pretty good in Fort Collins at the moment.

Rick
March 7th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Its snowing pretty good in Fort Collins at the moment.drizzly rain here in Denver

Tazer
March 7th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Well my tires aren't the best.... I hope no ice.

Rick
March 7th, 2014, 10:06 AM
it'll be fun...worst case if the trail starts getting to bad,turn around

Tazer
March 7th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Either way, I'm locked in.

Rick
March 7th, 2014, 10:08 AM
:thumb:

WW2AVG
March 7th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Update from Robert B.: "Tell frontrange we are a little ways down the trail on the left side".

Rick
March 7th, 2014, 11:24 AM
leavin work in an hour:jiggy:

Squshiee1
March 7th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Have fun snow camping! We have about 2 inches here in evergreen, and its not letting up anytime soon!

Rick
March 7th, 2014, 01:50 PM
headin out....see you guys tomorrow!!!!!!!!!

foxtrot
March 7th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Everyone be very careful, 285 is in super bad shape. Lots of wrecks and we are moving at about 15 mph

foxtrot
March 7th, 2014, 02:32 PM
Do not use 285, go the woodland Park route. 285 is closed

Brad
March 7th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Last minute fuel pump failure on my 98. Might be a issue, I will update as soon as I can.

Chris
March 7th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Thanks Brad, keep us posted! I'm guessing the closure is from accidents? Or is it road conditions at Kenosha Pass?

Those of us going tomorrow should NOT get discouraged and cancel. Remember, this is Colorado and tomorrow will not be like today. :thumb:

The StRanger
March 7th, 2014, 03:04 PM
You know it. He!!, What we got in the morning may not be in the Afternoon !!

foxtrot
March 7th, 2014, 03:05 PM
All due to accidents. I'm mainly updating for people coming up to camp. I'm sure the roads will be fine tomorrow! Looking forward to seeing everyone

Jackie
March 7th, 2014, 03:50 PM
This:

"KUSA - A 12-vehicle crash has seriously injured at least one person and has shut down northbound Highway 285 at Windy Point Friday afternoon.
The Inter-Canyon Fire Protection District said conditions are so bad, that parked cars are sliding off the road.
Traffic is backed up for several miles due to the crash. Northbound U.S. 285 will be closed during the investigation.
In a separate incident, the Colorado State Patrol says a person was found dead at mile marker 240 along U.S. 285. Troopers say the crash does not appear to be a hit-and-run. A vehicle is on scene and CPR was performed on the victim. No other details were available."

Also I read a report that there was on avalanche on Berthoud Pass and drivers are trapped. I -70 is also a mess. Be careful out there and be sure to post if you get in trouble so we can get some help your way.

Fordguy77
March 7th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Can somebody give me the woodland park directions I just left home and was planning on using 285.

foxtrot
March 7th, 2014, 04:00 PM
Hey Chris, call me real quick and I'll give you directions 7193216786

Fordguy77
March 7th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Going south on I25 right now isn't too much better

foxtrot
March 7th, 2014, 04:17 PM

carpenle
March 7th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Be safe guys!

Squshiee1
March 7th, 2014, 04:50 PM
The person found dead on 285 was a jeffco school bus driver, not sure which schools he drove for though. Name hasn't been released so i'm not sure if i knew him or not, but either way, RIP. AND DRIVE SAFE!

Chris
March 7th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Scared me Brad, thought you flopped!

J/K, drive safe

ctracy5
March 7th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Everybody be safe and I'll see you in the morning, but for now off to work.

foxtrot
March 7th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Haha good one. Saw the accident where the guy passed away happen in front of me. Not sure where he came from but once the cars stoped moving, he was just laying there in the road. Scary stuff. Also, the gas station in Jefferson only has premium, so unless you want to pay 4.19 a gallon like I just did, I recommend stopping somewhere sooner

foxtrot
March 7th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Going out of cell range. See you all tomorrow!

Fordguy77
March 7th, 2014, 06:00 PM
2.5 hours later I made it to monument finally. Looks like it'll be a very late set up for me camping

Jackie
March 7th, 2014, 06:06 PM
Take care and have fun. Glad you're safe.

scout man
March 7th, 2014, 06:56 PM
I bailed. Got the scout on the trailer, got the winter camping stuff and warm clothes all loaded and it just started dumping here. With not having functional 4x4 on the tow rig I decided it just wasn't smart. Didn't really feel like making the drive in the scout with half doors either!

Funrover
March 7th, 2014, 07:17 PM
You all be safe out there, roads are slick! Prayers sent to the guy on 285. Take many pictures, I will be at work tomorrow!

Jackie
March 7th, 2014, 07:27 PM
Good decision, Steve. :thumb:

scooter
March 7th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Sorry! I'm out as well:( Wifey doesn't want to risk the roads and I agree with her... Hope everyone has a great time! Be safe and catch you on a future ride!

Jackie
March 7th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Safety first. :thumb:

Jpash
March 7th, 2014, 07:41 PM
It's the ride still on tomorrow?

xaza
March 7th, 2014, 07:42 PM
yep. there are people up there already camping.

javaman34
March 7th, 2014, 07:42 PM
I'm going to wait until morning before I make a determination whether or not to head out. Chances are I won't be there and will have to make the next meet and greet run, but one never knows. Will see in the am.

dink
March 7th, 2014, 07:47 PM
If roads are bad tomorrow, we may have to abort as well.

Brad
March 7th, 2014, 07:49 PM
Well I got the fuel pump and filter replaced but feel the roads do not make it worth the risk. Had a close call last year in the 95 Disco sliding 100ft backwards on the trail due to ice.

Tazer
March 7th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Is 285 cleared now?

Tazer
March 7th, 2014, 08:05 PM
I'm at he WalMart at 285. Needed to buy a CB anntenna

Tnsejed
March 7th, 2014, 08:09 PM
Everyone taking the woodland park route be careful. Just came back from Divide a few hours ago and it was a mess. The plows are out though.

Jackie
March 7th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Is 285 cleared now?

This is what I'm seeing on cotrip.org as of 8:30pm

Max
March 7th, 2014, 08:44 PM
Gosh I hate being right sometimes.

ExplorerTom
March 7th, 2014, 08:47 PM
It snowed last year for this run as well.

Jim
March 7th, 2014, 08:48 PM
Last client just left.

Now to get food and supplies and pack the jeep. I should be asleep by 1130p...

Jim
March 7th, 2014, 08:49 PM
It snowed last year for this run as well.

And I would have used chains to get up to Conifer (I hate my tires in snow).

Chris
March 7th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Gosh I hate being right sometimes.

Pretty hard to be wrong about getting snow the first week in March, Max! :lmao:

The roads should be fine by morning and the weather forecast looks good, partly sunny, temps in the low 40's sounds like a good time. I don't recall a time when there wasn't snow on China Wall and I remember driving through some nasty sh!t to get there.

scout man
March 7th, 2014, 09:02 PM
Everyone taking the woodland park route be careful. Just came back from Divide a few hours ago and it was a mess. The plows are out though.

That's the way I would have been headed. I suppose that confirms I made the right decision! I might consider it tomorrow morning, but I am guessing there will still be some slippery spots up that way.

Brad
March 7th, 2014, 09:24 PM
Pretty hard to be wrong about getting snow the first week in March, Max! :lmao:

The roads should be fine by morning and the weather forecast looks good, partly sunny, temps in the low 40's sounds like a good time. I don't recall a time when there wasn't snow on China Wall and I remember driving through some nasty sh!t to get there.

It was dry year before last.

Chris
March 7th, 2014, 09:29 PM
It was dry year before last.

I don't recall that one because I missed it.

Rob
March 7th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Found out yesterday I don't have to work tomorrow. So I'll be there.

Jackie
March 7th, 2014, 09:49 PM
:thumb: Have fun.

The StRanger
March 7th, 2014, 09:51 PM
Salads are made, Cookies are baked, Tables are got & Im ready to go...
But Im Still gona rethink it in the morn. Wife is not gona make it ( She has to study for a test next Friday)

Squshiee1
March 7th, 2014, 09:54 PM
I just drove 285 from c470 to grant, and there are a couple of stuck semis, and couple of cars. But there is no more traffic, and the roads are MUCH better than they were a couple of hours ago! 285 and doubleheader was an absolute mess. But i would imagine the morning commute will be just fine. Now the trail on the other hand, most likely very snowy! YAY! Lets go break things!

Jackie
March 7th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Have fun with that! :erm:

Jim
March 7th, 2014, 10:03 PM
Back in from the supplies run. Ice yet needed tomorrow.

Now to put the jeep in the garage and pack it, sans refrigerated items, to be ready for a 7am departure.