PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - 34or33x?r15 Tires for Emissions and a blazer rear seat.

snowman
March 2nd, 2014, 09:16 AM
The wonderful folks at Air Care Colorado did not let my Chevota 4runner slip through on emissions this year based on the visual inspection. :rolleyes:

So I then went for a technical inspection.

They did not like it either.

So I had to get an air cleaner for a 4.3l with the heater stove pipe deal and route my PCV's to it. Also had to obtain an OEM 4.3l oil cap, wire up my OBD1 DLC and the check engine light. I am left needing some 34" or 33" tires. I have already obtained a set of rims to mount them on.

I would consider trading my 35" Mud Kings (good tread but a little cut & dry rotted) because I could then purchase a set of 37's to go along with future modifications. Right now though I'm working on a budget since the wife and I have twins due in August which will give us 4 kids in the 5 & under class :eek:

So, now you know why I want to mount a removable, free standing rear seat in the far back of the runner. Then we can take the 4 kids wheelin.

Let me know what you've got. Donations accepted :bowdown:

PM me or text/call me at 303-905-0160

-RIAN

Patrolman
March 2nd, 2014, 09:42 AM
I have a pair of 33's on Toyota rims you can borrow. I have seen several guys pull up before with large tires up front, and 33's on the rear. They will run the test like that.

snowman
March 2nd, 2014, 10:26 AM
Thanks Jeff. Hoping to go to decent 34's as daily drivers being that I live in unincorporated Douglas County and then switch it up to 37's for major missions.

Can you PM me your number again though or text it to me in case nothing turns up? Mine is listed above.

-RIAN

snowman
March 24th, 2014, 06:13 PM
Well thanks again Jeff but I finally passed. Went and got a temp tag, then I got my engine swap ok'd so now I have the paperwork on my 4.3l saying that it is in fact legit and then I was able to run it through after that and go buy tags. What a PITA though!

Patrolman
March 24th, 2014, 07:01 PM
At least it is done. Congrats!

ExplorerTom
March 24th, 2014, 08:13 PM
When are they going to do away with emissions? Probably never since it's a major cash grab for the local gubermints. When emission testing was put in place, most cars on the road were filthy. Now most cars on the road are new enough that they practically clean the air as they drive.

The StRanger
March 24th, 2014, 11:20 PM
At least we dont have safety inspections

Cr33p3r
March 25th, 2014, 05:15 AM
It's good you finally got it to pass, I think they just make it more difficult to deter us from modifying our rides. What all was involved in in getting the inspection for the engine swap?

snowman
March 25th, 2014, 08:15 AM
It's good you finally got it to pass, I think they just make it more difficult to deter us from modifying our rides. What all was involved in in getting the inspection for the engine swap?

You have to get it inspected at one of the state run Emissions Technical Centers. Then they give you a waiver form stating the engine has been converted. Any engine swap has to be a newer engine and have the emission systems that came with it.

My first attempt at that inspection more or less determined what I needed to do in order to pass.

For the two years prior I was good to go because the kid at the Air Care thought it was cool and I passed with flying colors.

This time it passed emissions well within the limits but failed the "Visual Inspection". WTF? No Pulse Air Injection.

So at my first technical inspection I was told that I needed everything 4.3l S-10 in order to pass and that would relieve my need for a Pulse Air System. Basically all 4.3 liter engines in S-10 trucks 89-95 did not come with air injection but a lot of full size truck motors did. Good to know. So i needed a Thermostatic Air Cleaner with the stove pipe warming tube ran down to the exhaust header. Both PCV valves would need routed to the air inlets. All my vacuum lines needed hooked up correctly and my diagnostic link connector needed hooked up so they could read the computer plus my check engine light would need hooked up. Regardless though, a CEL will not fail you or keep you from getting an engine swap waiver.

So if I did all this and got it re inspected I would be good to go.

So I went down to the U Pull & Pay and scavenged off a 91 S-10 then I spent some time in the garage and then went back for a second technical inspection and passed and was able to go do an emissions again and I had a waiver for my visual inspection.

Where I went wrong was randomly trying to run it through multiple times at different air cares. It always passed or they would not run it because of my tires but regardless it kept coming up as a fail on the visual inpection. I guess once they tag you for a visual inspection then your done until you get the inspection waiver at a technical center. Also since I work an oil and gas related job I could not keep going back within 10 days for re tests and also 10 day temp tags. So it can be a real pita. I basically had to wait for my boss to go out of town for a week before I could make time to do all this crap. So like day 1 I went and got a temp tag at the DMV on my way to work. Then day two, I wired my dlc and cel on lunch break. Then day three I could only get a 2pm inspection so i got my waiver on a late lunch break and day four I got emissions and my real tags on my way home.