PDA

View Full Version : Bronco tailgate window

javaman34
March 9th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way to change the tailgate window of a full size Bronco from the electric motor to a hand crank system? I'm tired of this thing giving me fits because of shorts or motors going bad.

CS79bronco
March 10th, 2014, 12:21 AM
Haven't heard of any successful conversions. Go to FSB, search for steve83, find the tailgate info he has. It's all there, not too hard to fix it up right with his info. If you want, run down here & I'll help get er done. I swapped all the guts from one to another for our 86, been working good for two years.

Cr33p3r
March 10th, 2014, 04:24 AM
This is something I have thought about since we got our Bronco.

javaman34
March 10th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Haven't heard of any successful conversions. Go to FSB, search for steve83, find the tailgate info he has. It's all there, not too hard to fix it up right with his info. If you want, run down here & I'll help get er done. I swapped all the guts from one to another for our 86, been working good for two years.

And let me guess, I have to bring the steaks, beer, and do all the cooking. :lmao:
I'll check out FSB. Thanks.

javaman34
March 10th, 2014, 07:50 PM
Right now I have a short. If the window won't go down, I hit the tailgate and 9 out of 10 times the window will work. When it doesn't work, I see no drain on the battery so I know there is a short. I just have to find it. Right now the window won't move at all. Wouldn't have made sense to make a manual back up to get the window down just in case when they built the thing. Oh well.

covert
March 20th, 2014, 11:57 PM
Probably the sensor switch that cuts power if the door isn't entirely closed (or just thinks it isn't). Really not too hard of a project to bypass the switch. Just make sure after doing it that your tailgate is really closed or the window will break if it isn't aligned right.

CS79bronco
March 21st, 2014, 12:37 AM
And let me guess, I have to bring the steaks, beer, and do all the cooking. :lmao:
I'll check out FSB. Thanks.
Just bring steaks and beer, I'll cook while you work.

javaman34
March 21st, 2014, 12:38 PM
Just bring steaks and beer, I'll cook while you work.

Sorry, I already found the problem and fixed it. Seems the latches weren't closing all the way when the tailgate shut so the window safety switch wouldn't let the window work. I put in new strikers and such and now it works just fine. You will have to wait on my steaks and beer.

CS79bronco
March 22nd, 2014, 01:13 AM
I thought it would be the plastic spacers on the latch bolts but didn't want to tempt you with free parts just to get a steak & beer out of you. lol