PDA

View Full Version : Stud removal ?'s

SubAlpine
March 12th, 2014, 06:52 PM
Lifting the 4runner and ran into problems. I already got the drivers side done, no problems. Passenger side is different story. I got the UCA disconnected from the control arm, and the tie rod end off. Top strut bolts off. The lower strut stud though, will not budge. Bolt came off fine, but the stud WILL NOT MOVE. Appears to be fused to the strut eye? Heated it, hammered it, cranked on it. It now turns freely, moving the metal sleeve in the strut with it. But it will not come out. I have tried re bolting the top bolts, the UCA, jacked the LCA up to try and line things up. I am about to cut that thing out. Any ideas?

Patrolman
March 12th, 2014, 08:38 PM
I would try to find some way to press it out. Maybe fit a small scissor jack in there and see if it can be pushed out somehow? Just a thought. Here is also a couple ideas I found when searching the web:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/156695-help-lower-strut-bolt-wont-come-out.html

Brad
March 12th, 2014, 10:23 PM
I usually use a air hammer with a special bit and turn the head of the bolt at the same time. The idea is to get the sleeve to bind with the hammer impact while breaking the bolt loose from the internal sleeve.

scout man
March 12th, 2014, 10:23 PM
lots of PB plaster, a big hammer, and maybe a gear puller. That's the best I have to offer. Stuff like that is incredibly frustrating.

SubAlpine
March 14th, 2014, 08:49 PM
I will post some pics tomorrow. The bolt and sleeve are one piece of metal now. Crazy. It took a grinder and some time. Got it off. Lift is on, pics some day.

Patrolman
March 14th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Glad it is done. Sorry it took so much work!

94ToyBear
March 14th, 2014, 11:07 PM
Where at in lakewood are you ?

SubAlpine
March 15th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Garrison and Jewell ish. I have found that my three most useful tools on this rig are my grinder with a cut off disk, my dremel with a tungsten carbide bit, and my napp gas torch. Melt that stuff off if I have too. I do have to say, I have never been a big fan of lifted trucks. Mainly because of all the dbags in Denver with f250's on 15 inches of lift and 33' rims. But, this runner with 3 inches of lift is sweet. Cant wait to wheel. Is anything open?

SubAlpine
March 15th, 2014, 08:45 AM
And the real answer to the thread is, " there is no removal of a stud, unles you yourself are a more massive stud than the one being removed"

94ToyBear
March 15th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Did you get it out !? Your not to far from me...if you need a hand I can stop by later today.

SubAlpine
March 15th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Yep all good, thanks ToyBear