PDA

View Full Version : Anyone wanna help me install a Spartan locker?

Adaa60
March 16th, 2014, 12:16 AM
I cant afford to pay to have my spartan installed, Anyone ever installed one on an Xj before & would anyone enjoy Show / helping me install my locker?

Java
March 16th, 2014, 08:16 AM
it's a pretty easy job, when are you doing it? If I'm around I'll be glad to help. Front or rear axle?

Hypoid
March 16th, 2014, 12:15 PM
I cant afford to pay to have my spartan installedWhat price were you quoted?

X2 on need more information.

dscowell
March 16th, 2014, 07:25 PM
I've watched a couple youtube videos on installing lockers like Spartans seems fairly strait forward as long as you have some idea of what you are doing. I don't know how hard it actually is so don't quote me on it. If it's me I'd install it with the help of someone else but that's just me.

Adaa60
March 16th, 2014, 08:10 PM
Yea its my front axle I've never done it before and the directions were a joke

Adaa60
March 16th, 2014, 09:58 PM
Well first I want to replace my rear axle.....
Gonna go look Wednesday I Dont think it would be too hard to remove from the scrap yard and I have diamonds Saab to drive while my trucks down. I'll save $$ by not needing new shock tabs welded on and what not as well. I'll let you guys no when I'm ready if someone wants to help. Hypoid if you have a set to go on we can do them together if you would like.

I already have the front and rear lockers for my rig there taunting me sitting on my table in my kitchen.

Hypoid
March 17th, 2014, 05:50 AM
I will be hauling my project axles up to Rich for the gear install. The Powertrax will go in at the same time.

I don't remember what you have for axles or gears, you'll have to refresh my memory.

JFjeld
March 17th, 2014, 10:39 AM
I installed a Spartan in my TJ D30 before I did my axle swap a few years ago, yours should be the same. I followed this write-up to understand pulling the axles, carrier, etc:

http://www.4x4xplor.com/aussielocker.html

Obviously follow your Spartan instructions for the specific-assembly of that. Its actually real-easy and installing mine was my first experience opening my D30. I would suggest spraying the 3 12-point screws holding your hubs several days with PB Blaster to loosen it up. I was also told to use Red loctite on the bolts holding the ring gear to the carrier (you have to remove this to pop the spider gears and insert the Spartan). Depending on when you do it, I might be able to help.