PDA

View Full Version : In need of Bearing retainer

glacierpaul
March 18th, 2014, 09:27 AM
I have a huge dilemma with my 1982 Jeep J-20, 4 speed T-18 tranny, 360 motor. Long story short, bell housing is cracked, entire clutch is shot, input shaft bent, bearing retainer broken. Have found everything, but the "only" bearing retainer I have found was the wrong size, damnit. The big problem is that AMC used about 11 different type bearing retainers for the T-18, and specifically the J-20. I have read in other forums about CJ owners using the T-18 as a swap, but they cannot use the bearing retainer for their application, so I am hoping someone may have what I need. If you have any leads or advice I am all ears and mucho appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance! My last ditch effort is to just have my machine guy make one, and then patent it and start selling new ones as partners.

Robert B
March 18th, 2014, 11:13 AM
hhmm removed my last statement as the info is very confusing

Geno
March 18th, 2014, 11:35 AM
If you could send down a picture and a schematic of the measurements to the .001 of a inch, we have FN JEEP used parts in Colorado Springs ,I could stop down there and see what they have.

glacierpaul
March 18th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Thanks Geno, I have talked to them, they want pics and a part #. This will be the second time I have had a problem with the clutch and bearing retainer since I have owned the Jeep. Apparently Jeep had 11 different sized bearing retainers for the T-18 and the use of it in the J-20, a hodge podge of parts basically, so every J-20 is different. I have been told that if the exact same one that was original is not used, it could be why the bell housing is cracking and the clutch and input shaft are problematic. The last time it broke my mech found a similar one but had a part machined to make it work....it didn't, so now I am back to square one. My mech and machine guy have came up with machining a seal in the new wrong one I just bought, and maybe that will suffice. I just hate the idea of doing another clutch in less than 5 years, again.
To be clear, the existing broke one that FN wants a pic of is wrong, I am at a loss. I am hoping to find the exact match or roll the dice on machining the wrong new one, it fits, just does not have front seal, crazy, this is the Jeep thing I don't understand :).

Sorry Robert B. for being confusing. My head is still spinning...:)

Robert B
March 18th, 2014, 12:18 PM
this is the first part of a nice looking information page on every t 18 and this kinda kills it for me lol

Jeep T18
Jeep released 12 known versions of the T18 transmissions from 1966 and 1984, with the greatest variations being in input shaft configurations and gearing. The battle of working with these is compounded if you did not actually witness the transmission's removal from the donor vehicle.

from http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t18_t19.htm

glacierpaul
March 18th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Exactly...I already talked to novak, I am surprised they don't make a fix, that is what I said about my machine guy and me making the varying 12 of them and start selling new ones, since there are apparently none available even if there are 12 to choose from :).
I have had guys tell me to just abandon the T-18, if I was made of $$$ I would :). Just keeping these old Jeeps running is difficult.

glacierpaul
March 18th, 2014, 02:18 PM
After talking with A1 transmission, they used to have a guy that worked with them who rebuilt these. He would drill out the shaft/seal and install/weld new shaft to work with new bushings and seals. This is what my machine guy is going to do, will post up how this turns out.

glacierpaul
March 26th, 2014, 04:39 PM
Got her back today! Rides and shifts like a dream. The input shaft was bent in the middle, and the pilot bearing was definitely wore out:eek:

Funrover
March 27th, 2014, 11:39 AM
WOW!!!