PDA

View Full Version : Housing in Denver this summer?

ctracy5
March 19th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Hey guys, I am currently looking at a job in the Denver area, Centennial to be precise. So I will be need to find a place to live, but here come the hard part. My wife will be living up in Washington this summer ( both of her Grandmas are starting to get some serious health issues so we both thought she needed to be there) and I will be here working, but she will be coming back in the Fall to finish up school at CSU, so I will be moving back North at that time, easier for me to commute then her. So I am trying to find a month to month place somewhere in the Denver area from mid-May / June until August that will be good for me, my dog and two vehicles. Anyways I know of some good sites for finding rentals in the Fort Collins area but none of them cover the Denver area, does anyone know of a good site to look at for finding descent rentals around Denver. I can use CL but searching is so vague its hard to find what you are looking for.

Patrolman
March 19th, 2014, 08:10 PM
CL is the predominant search in my opinion.

There are going to be several cities to search around Centennial. Centennial itself is a very long and narrow city which runs from about the middle of the south end of town, all the way to the southeast corner. Centennial can be quite expensive as well. Surrounding cities would include Greenwood Village (expensive), east part of Littleton, Englewood, Cherry Hills (very expensive), south Denver, south Aurora, Parker, Lone Tree, and Highlands Ranch. Each would be within about 15-30 minutes for a commute.

I have a rental property in Englewood, which may be the cheaper of the areas I listed. It is already leased through September. To give you an idea, it is a 3 bedroom 1,200 foot house with full basement and 1 car garage. Rents for $1,500 a month, and it is likely under priced. Finding a month-to-month is going to be difficult. What you may want to consider is a rent by the week or rent by the month hotel room. Just a thought.

Let me know if you find some places in the area and want someone to drive by. Will see if I can fit it into my commute.

ctracy5
March 19th, 2014, 09:24 PM
Thanks, seems like things on the north side of Denver are cheaper. I'm looking at something simple one bed is enough. As long as I have a place to work on cars I'm set. Is englewood a pretty descent area.

Patrolman
March 19th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Englewood is a good area. I lived near there growing up, and lived at my rental for 10 years before moving. It is closer to downtown and has some busy commuting traffic in some areas. Just like anything else, there are quiet areas and busy areas. I think North Denver is cheaper as well as areas of Aurora, but your commute would be considerably longer. Where in Centennial will your job be?

ctracy5
March 19th, 2014, 10:23 PM
Here a map, but one thing that we are still trying to figure is the logistics of the job, It is a Landscape company that is opening a new lighting division and they are essentially absorbing the company I currently work for to run it. My old/new boss is running the division and i will be the foreman/trainer etc. Anyways we are still trying to figure out if I will be taking a company vehicle home at night and going directly to the job sites in the morning or meeting up at the office in the mornings and having the crew drive together to the job sites. A lot of stuff still being figured out, if I get a company truck then most of the work is in the Denver area anyways so no really best spot to be, but if I have to go to office every morning then being with in a moderate communing distance North or South I don't really care.

http://www.bing.com/maps/GetMap.ashx?od=1&b=r,mkt.en-us,stl.h&ur=US&rf=o&rp=n&z=13&c=39.570594,-104.841081&w=658&h=500&ppl=55,1,39.5860595703125,-104.809982299805

96blkbeauty
March 19th, 2014, 11:41 PM
My advice? Stay in Fort Collins and find a new gig. Not sure how serious of a job this is for you though. I personally like Ft. Collins/Northern Colorado a lot more then the Denver Metro Area. I'll be looking to move there once I save up money for a house.

I grew up in Broomfield and moved to Greeley for college. Graduated in 09 and moved back to Denver. I actually feel relieved when I travel up to Greeley to see my folks. Denver is frustrating...the traffic is terrible, city is deteriorating and isn't maintained, and the population seems to be growing so fast.

Anyway, end rant LOL. I'll probably end up in Wyoming before its all said and done. Or Montana

If you're looking in the north Denver area, Northglenn and Thornton have decent rental prices.

ctracy5
March 20th, 2014, 01:22 AM
This job is with who I would consider one of if not the top landscaping firm in Colorado. About the only guys bigger, but not better are valley crest who are the only international landscape firm. They have been around for a long time and consitantly get amazing contracts. I get descent pay (I will be salaried so I don't have to freak out in the winter when we got nothing to do inbetween snow storms) and good benifits, way better then anything in Northern Colorado in this industry, at least as a starting position. My buddy works for who many consider the top company in Fort Collins, the company atmosphere is nice but the pay is no where near what it should be ( about $2-3 an hour lower then comparable jobs in the Denver area) and most companies that pay descent can't keep consistent work especially in winter. I am planning on being with these guys for two or so years to build my resume/portfolio to help with getting a good job in Washington.

struggle now for a better tomorrow...right lol. At least that's the plan.

otisdog
March 20th, 2014, 06:56 AM
I live at about the top right corner of your map. Rentals around here go VERY quick and I doubt if you could find anything month to month. Also this area is the Cherry Creek School District which makes properties even hotter because it's highly sought after.
You may be better off to look for someone who has a room for rent in their house etc.
As said traffic here SUCKS. Good luck.
Jim

Patrolman
March 20th, 2014, 07:54 AM
This is on the eastern edge of Centennial. A commute from Englewood would be about 30 minutes, and South/East Aurora about the same. You could also commute from Castle Rock as it would be about the same time or less. Parker would also be a good option. The bad news, as stated, this is a highly desirable area where there are likely few rentals available and they will be pricey.

As others have sort of pointed out, this is going to be a tough task. You probably won't find anything month to month, and if you do, it will be expensive. Most of this area is HOA type stuff too, so having 2 or 3 vehicles may not fly.

I forgot to keep an eye on the sites Trulia and Zillow. I believe they both have rental info in addition to houses for sale.

Java
March 20th, 2014, 07:55 AM
you may want to try posting yourself as a housesitter on CL, a lot of people travel in the summer and like to have someone stay at their house. just a thought.

ctracy5
March 20th, 2014, 11:33 AM
not a bad thought, If worst comes to worst I may just end up getting a place that will work for next year and deal with the commute. I am just not a fan of putting that many miles on the Miata, which has to low of a 5th gear and to get decent MPG I can only go like 70. If I go 80 it is at 4000 RPM and MPG start to go out the window.

Funrover
March 20th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Get a nice camper and stay..LOL.. Just kidding. I will ask around and see if I can't find anything. Good Luck bud!

Patrolman
March 20th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Or get a popup camper and stay the Summer at Cherry Creek Reservoir. I think it is $30 a night or so though for full hookups.

Java
March 20th, 2014, 10:10 PM
Or get a popup camper and stay the Summer at Cherry Creek Reservoir. I think it is $30 a night or so though for full hookups.

this. :thumb:

JeepWrench
March 21st, 2014, 07:52 AM
I would look on Clist in the rooms and shares section. You can usually rent a garage apartment, mother-in laws quarters, or similar for a month by month basis. Before I moved into this house I was paying 550 a month for the whole basement, only shared laundry and kitchen. Thats including utilities.

ctracy5
March 21st, 2014, 11:02 AM
Thanks Justin, I haven't looked there yet.

Patrolman
March 21st, 2014, 09:58 PM
Saw this site on the news tonight:
http://housinghelpers.com/

ctracy5
March 21st, 2014, 10:45 PM
Cool thanks