PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Hill

Colin
March 25th, 2014, 09:23 AM
Has anyone been up to Yankee Hill lately?
If so much snow is still there?

javaman34
March 25th, 2014, 06:53 PM
I hope it is almost gone. I have it on my list of trails to do this year.

Max
March 25th, 2014, 07:15 PM
glacierpaul is the one that would definitely know.

glacierpaul
March 26th, 2014, 05:54 AM
I May Run Up My Side To See Accessibility , Another Foot Of Snow Tonight Into Friday Though.....
I Know A Lot Has Been Melting Off, There Will Be Lots Of Ice Under The Existing Snow For Sure. I Post Up Pics Of What I Find, On The Alice Side.

Max
March 26th, 2014, 08:56 AM
When is Yankee Hill completely dry and passable? With some snow bashing?

glacierpaul
March 26th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Finally got my 82 J-20 fixed, and picked it up this afternoon. Ran up Mine Road, the Alice access to Yankee Hill, only got 75 feet past the intersection of Crest and Mine. From where I could not go farther, the trail head is another 2-300 yards more. There is a belly in the road just over the hill at the back of the pics, this always drifts deep. Where and why I stopped was solid ice under the snow, which tappers from 8" to well over 3 feet cresting the hill and into the drift pack. There are old tracks going over and beyond most likely from atv and utv travel. I am now wanting to bust out the atv and scout some more :).

glacierpaul
March 26th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Max, every year is different, this year I would say even into late June there may still be some very mild snow bashing to be had, I have not gotten up and over Yankee yet on my Grizzly to see what the drifting looks like this year. About a month ago my son and I attempted it, but struggled for 2 hours just to get to the trailhead, after assessing the trail access I figured I we were in for a few more hours of winching and digging, which is great when you want to do it, but Aidan said no, so I turned us around. Getting back home from the trailhead took just under an hour, and usually only takes minutes.

Colin
March 27th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Good to know how the Alice side looks! We are thinking about heading up there tomorrow for some camping so hopefully I'll get some pictures of what the central city side looks like.

glacierpaul
March 28th, 2014, 05:31 AM
Found my pic from Jan 18, 2014, high centered and still got 1-2' under the machine. Not much different today, except the ice under the snow now, chains are a must!