PDA

View Full Version : Computer, time to modernize...

Hypoid
April 5th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Time to replace the ol' EMachine. For reference, I'm shopping Micro Center in Denver: http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?N=4294967292&NTX=&NTT=&NTK=all&sortby=pricelow

Some of those terms I am familiar with, some not. From limited reading and exposure/experience, I'll probably prefer a machine loaded with Windows 7. I'd like to keep the final cost under $400. If I can spend much less, even better. ;)

Some of the things I would like to do include:
Streaming movies.
Using more advanced photo and video software.
Converting my vinyl to audio files.
Scanning old photographs and slides.

Those are the uses that seem to gobble up the most resources, so I'll leave out the generic stuff. My basic question is, how much power/speed/resources do I need?

TIA

Chris
April 5th, 2014, 02:12 PM
how much power/speed/resources do I need?

Simple answer Mike - As much as you can afford which I know contradicts your $400. Not much help...

ILuvtheMountains
April 5th, 2014, 02:17 PM
A fast processor probably isn't really needed but I would get 8gb of good quality RAM and at least a 1tb hard drive. Someone on here just posted about building computers. If you could talk to them about saving your tower and power supply and any other useful components you already own in your current computer you may be able to get in around that number.

4Runninfun
April 5th, 2014, 02:19 PM
I just quoted someone $430 in parts + the cost of an operating system. And it will do everything you listed. email or pm me if you'd like further details. On that machine. There is some room to make that particular machine cheaper.

blackfoot02@gmail.com

For specifics to what you posted. What programs are you planning on running? Many lower end machines can run the more pro level programs you'll just have to wait for rendering and the like. Some people don't care others want things done quickly.

Are you partial to any particular brands, such as Intel vs AMD?

Do you have an operating system already?

Do you have any parts that might be useable from your current machine?

Few more details and I can give you some hardware recommendations. :thumb:

Max
April 5th, 2014, 02:39 PM
I haven't priced or speced out computers recently, but I would wager than even the most entry level computers these days will run all but the most processor intensive applications and games no problem.

Hypoid
April 6th, 2014, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the replies! The ol' EMachine is old, runs XP Home with a Celeron Processor and a whopping 256 MB of RAM. I'll get the last updates and take it off network until I decide what I want to do with it.

Jon, your questions did help me focus.
There are tons of software I've never tried. Just for reference, I searched the requirements for Photoshop:

Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor; 2GHz or faster processor
Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 3; or Windows 7
1GB of RAM
1GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash storage devices)
1024x768 display (1280x800 recommended) with qualified hardware-accelerated OpenGL graphics card, 16-bit color, and minimum 512MB of VRAM (Recommended - 1 GB)
DVD-ROM drive

That gives me some parameters to work with.

I'm not brand loyal.
I will need to purchase a new OS, or a machine with it already installed.
Re-use parts? Um, no, its an EMachine.

After reviewing my list, I came to the conclusion:
By the time I can afford to replace the TV, all of the new models will be internet capable.
I'll be interested in working with my photos more than videos. The video software I have now is more than adequate.
I have some nice, old, audio equipment for my listening pleasure. Having a top of the line sound card, won't be noticeable in any vehicle I drive. Anyone know of any better A-to-D converters? http://www.dak.com/Reviews/2020Story.cfm#notusb2
The flat bed scanners that I am looking at should be OK, if I buy a machine capable of running Photoshop.

This machine is winking at me: http://www.microcenter.com/product/427183/H530_Desktop_Computer

Any comments?

otisdog
April 6th, 2014, 01:58 PM
That Lenovo has what you need to be a good basic computer especially for the price. The one question I have, not being familiar with Photoshop is if the integrated graphics are enough. They don't state which level of Intel graphics the computer has. Maybe someone else can comment. There is some room for expansion - you can up the memory as high as 16GB's and add a small video card because it has a PCI x16 slot.
It also has USB 3 ports.
Jim

4Runninfun
April 6th, 2014, 02:34 PM
That looks like a good base machine. It should be able to run photoshop, although don't expect outstanding performance. One thing I will note, right now AMD on-board graphics are much better than Intel. That said, you can always snag this machine check out the graphics if they work for your needs great. If, down the road, you decide to upgrade for better graphics you can always add a video card later, and tailor that to your budget in the future.

Hypoid
April 6th, 2014, 07:09 PM
They pooched me for another $100! The machine I posted earlier was gone. The guy said Windows-7 machines were flying out the door with current XP owners.

The next better Win-7 machine was out of my budget, so I put it on the card: http://www.microcenter.com/product/423137/Essentio_M11AA-US002Q_Desktop_Computer

Jon, if you want to whack me upside the head because you can beat that, I can return this within 15 days... :D

4Runninfun
April 6th, 2014, 08:44 PM
PM sent.

alexb
April 7th, 2014, 08:23 PM
Last time I needed a new computer, I just bought whatever was on special at woot..

Today's special: http://sellout.woot.com/offers/hp-quad-core-desktop-with-2tb-hd-19?ref=cnt_dly_cr#read-more

quad core amd, 2tb hard drive, 8gb memory, windows 8 (shrug). $359 + $5 shipping

Hypoid
April 8th, 2014, 05:05 PM
That is enticing, Jon's offer is even more enticing. Still, I'm going with the bird in hand. It's just too bad I did not do my homework a month ago.

I unplugged the ol' EMachine last spring/summer, been using the Mrs' HP ever since. I plugged in the ol' XP machine last night, it was like seeing an old friend again. When I got off work tonight, it had 55 updates waiting for install. :eek:

I'm getting kinda pumped to see how this new machine runs.

4Runninfun
April 8th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Enjoy your new machine, and let us know how it works out for you.

otisdog
April 9th, 2014, 06:50 AM
I think you'll be pleased with what you bought. Do you know Windows 7?
There's room for expansion in that Asus if you need it.
jim

Hypoid
April 13th, 2014, 08:12 PM
First post with the new 'puter! :woot:
I think you'll be pleased with what you bought. Do you know Windows 7? There's room for expansion in that Asus if you need it.jimWe use Windows 7 at work. My manager told me I could buy a copy of Office 2013 on the corporate license for dirt cheap. The only caveat is that I must stop using it if my employment status changes.

Chris
April 13th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Try Open Office Mike, it's free and close enough to Office 2013 that you won't notice.

http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html

There's others as well - all free.

Tom
April 13th, 2014, 08:40 PM
First post with the new 'puter! :woot: We use Windows 7 at work. My manager told me I could buy a copy of Office 2013 on the corporate license for dirt cheap. The only caveat is that I must stop using it if my employment status changes.dirt cheap is like 5 bucks. Can always go to open office if needed later

Hypoid
April 13th, 2014, 09:17 PM
dirt cheap is like 5 bucks.Well, yeah, $10 for me. I like the idea of continuity between work and home. Using a bunch of different machines is like driving a bunch of different vehicles; you jump into one and start looking for things that are not there. The J-O-B has enough challenges, learning new software sometimes pushes the stress factor out of proportion.

As it is, there is software on this machine that I don't have at work. It will take some time to explore these new features.