PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who live in mountain communities:

Jackie
April 9th, 2014, 08:40 PM
We're supposed to close on a house in Evergreen in 15 days - but we can't find an insurance company that will cover the house (we're told it's because it backs to open space (Three Sisters Park).

We can handle eliminating trees and brush from the property, but not much we can do about a mountain park. Any clues on who to contact? You can't tell me that all of the houses up there are sitting there uninsured. We may have to bail on this purchase if we don't find an agency that will cover it. (OH - what a mess we're in....) :mad::confused::frown::erm: Emotions runnin' wild. Good thing I haven't put the FSOB signs out yet...

Squshiee1
April 9th, 2014, 08:47 PM
If I remember correctly we are using American Family for our insurance. We are also in evergreen. That sounds a bit crazy to me though, I guess you can try calling AmFam, they have a small office in evergreen, right off of bergen parkway.

ILuvtheMountains
April 9th, 2014, 08:48 PM
I have a place in red feather that has forest service land bordering three of the four sides and we used country mutual. Actually they have our home that is in town and our cars and motorcycles all insured. Great company.

Jackie
April 9th, 2014, 09:02 PM
Thanks guys! We'll be all over these leads in the morning. Our agent also gave us a reference and we have already sent an email (but the company is Allstate and we've already seen how Allstate bailed on the Floridians ~ So... we would use them as a last resort if they will even cover it.):erm:

Jackie
April 9th, 2014, 09:31 PM
OOPS! MY BAD! - My husband just told me that the lead our agent gave us was from State Farm (Not Allstate). Not trying to slander any company at all.

Brad
April 9th, 2014, 10:32 PM
I have a good friend who lives on upper bear creek with land bordering natl forest. Let me know if your leads don't pan out. I will reach out to him.

carpenle
April 10th, 2014, 09:17 AM
I am an Independent Insurance Agent and represent a lot of different companies. Due to all of the fires, floods, hail/wind a lot of insurance companies have had their a55 handed to them. This means that they are pulling out of the market and prices are going up. We have been seeing rates increase over 20% or the insurance company non renewing. You might have to go to a "non admitted" insurance resource, if the standard markets will not write a policy. I am always willing to help where I can, even if you would only like to discuss the issues.

As a side note, make sure you are insuring the house at a replacement cost value (cost to rebuild the home), which is sometimes higher than the market value. See the attached article http://fireinsuranceqts.com/Dont-Be-A-Victim-To-An-Underinsured-Home-After-A-Wild-Fire.html only half of the homes had enough limits to rebuild in the hayman burn area. It is also a good idea to buy replacement cost on your personal property. Standard policies are actual cash value, which means the insurance company would deduct value or give you no money depending on the age of an item.

jayson44
April 10th, 2014, 09:23 AM
wow. this is great to know as we're currently trying to buy a house here in Gilpin County.

J.

Jackie
April 10th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Thank you Levi - we have a lot of studying to do. I just may need to call you for help. Thank you very, very much!

Tnsejed
April 10th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Just went through this last year with Allstate and their Firewise requirements. They wanted me to cut down most of the trees on my property due to crown spacing. AND the kicker was they told me I would have to get my neighbor to cut one of their trees down to.

The funny thing is, I'm right in Woodland Park city limits. There is a fire hydrant in front of my house.

I canceled them after that. I'm now with Farmers. We'll see how it goes with these guys. I did shop it around a bit and found that each company pretty much has their own requirements. The thing I was worried about most was cutting down all of the trees and devaluing the property. People move to the mountains because they want the mountain landscape. Not a tree-less parking lot.

Patrolman
April 10th, 2014, 01:39 PM
I can't testify to the woodlands areas, but I did have Allstate and got a hail storm which damaged the roof. They wouldn't renew my policy shortly after that, and I scrambled to find new insurance, even though the roof had not yet been replaced. State Farm did come through and provide insurance, even though the price was about double until the roof was replaced. I have to give them credit for that. It may cost you more than you expected, but better than nothing.

Squshiee1
April 10th, 2014, 01:44 PM
Oh, if you need help clearing some trees, I may know a thing or two about that!

Funrover
April 10th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Well alrighty then, if you want I can ask my neighbor who he uses. But it appears you have it all figured out or will have it figured out.

Jackie
April 10th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Oh, if you need help clearing some trees, I may know a thing or two about that!

Thanks again for the replie guys. We drove up and walked the property again today. State Farm will insure it for a premium price but it includs complete home replacement as well as in-home possesions. However they want several trees removed right away. In truth, Britton and I will likely remove more than is required for various reasons. We're surrounded by the forrest, so there is no lack of trees. We don't want the ones that actually touch the house or the great big monster tree growing in the middle of the back deck...:erm:

I think we're going back to the bargaining table to see if the current owners would be willing to share some of the expense. I'm betting it will cost upwards of 2K just to remove the tree on the deck. Chase - if you have tips - I'd love to hear them... I can count 10 trees at least that I'd like to see come down sooner or later. Some we can do ourselves. Others - not a chance. Sounds like a lot of trees, right? Trust me, it's not. :)

ILuvtheMountains
April 10th, 2014, 05:37 PM
You could always take the big one on the deck and cut it off high then at some point have a chainsaw sculptor come in and carve something to your liking or something functional.

Jackie
April 10th, 2014, 05:55 PM
That's really a good idea! Food for thought...

Squshiee1
April 10th, 2014, 06:32 PM
The only tips that really matter are just to, tie the tree away from the house, use your winch or rope. You may also need to use a snatch block, so you can pull the tree away from your car too.

Really, just make sure you cut a large enough wedge, and pull the tree away from the house, don't rely on just the wedge. Using a car to put tension on the tree is not a bad idea as long as you use a snatch block. I'm sure you can find plenty of youtube videos on the do's, and many more on the don'ts. I should be available if you do need a hand though!

Jackie
April 10th, 2014, 07:15 PM
Thanks Chase. For the monster trees up by the house, we'll want a pro who is bonded and insured. For some - we can do it ourselves and for some we may want a bit of help. But I can assure you that if anyone wants free firewood - I'll have plenty of it! This picture shows 4 that probably need to go sooner than later. (But I'm keeping the walking stick!) I already hid it for safe-keeping!:D

Jackie
April 10th, 2014, 08:22 PM
This one is either dead or on it's way out..

Brad
April 10th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Dibs on some firewood! I will help cut it up and haul it away if need be!

Jackie
April 10th, 2014, 09:15 PM
You can have as much as you want! Please just help get it out... I'll cook food too!

Brad
April 11th, 2014, 06:28 AM
Let me know when this is going down. I'll be there!

carpenle
April 11th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Glad you are getting it figured out Jackie.

The StRanger
April 11th, 2014, 12:00 PM
You can have as much as you want! Please just help get it out... I'll cook food too!

BBQ at Jackie's ????

Rick
April 11th, 2014, 12:04 PM

___________I would be interested in firewood and helping as well:)

gm4x4lover
April 11th, 2014, 06:16 PM
As a side note, make sure you are insuring the house at a replacement cost value (cost to rebuild the home), which is sometimes higher than the market value. See the attached article http://fireinsuranceqts.com/Dont-Be-A-Victim-To-An-Underinsured-Home-After-A-Wild-Fire.html only half of the homes had enough limits to rebuild in the hayman burn area. It is also a good idea to buy replacement cost on your personal property. Standard policies are actual cash value, which means the insurance company would deduct value or give you no money depending on the age of an item.

Arent most houses insured at 2-3 times there replacement value due to the possessions inside, housing costs while rebuilding, and typically houses can be bought cheaper than they can be built?

Jackie
April 11th, 2014, 06:21 PM
I guess it depends on what poilicy you choose to buy/how much coverage you want or need.

scout man
April 12th, 2014, 11:55 AM
I would be willing to haul away some firewood for you too!

Jackie
April 12th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Thanks! If this deal doesn't fall apart - there will be plenty of firewood for everyone!

Funrover
April 12th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Let us know, I'll swing by and help

Jackie
April 12th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Have I told you lately how much I love you guys!?

:frontrange4x4:

Rob
April 20th, 2014, 08:13 PM
a chainsaw sculptor

There's a good one in Boulder County (either Boulder or Longmont, can't remember which).

Jackie
April 20th, 2014, 09:27 PM
We close and take possession on Tuesday. The tree in the deck will be removed by a pro for sure. It's already in the works (But I think we need to take down part of the deck first which is OK with us because we will need to replace it anyways). The half-dead one touching the roof we can probably remove ourselves. It's big, but not THAT big!

I like the chain saw sculptor idea a lot, but quite frankly.....................we're broke after this! My kid has some sidewalk chalk and that is about as artsy as we'll get for while, I'm afraid!:rolleyes:

Rick
April 21st, 2014, 08:16 AM
We close and take possession on Tuesday.Congrats!!!!!! Glad it all worked out for you guys:thumb:

carpenle
April 21st, 2014, 09:25 AM
Arent most houses insured at 2-3 times there replacement value due to the possessions inside, housing costs while rebuilding, and typically houses can be bought cheaper than they can be built?

Congrats on the new house Jackie! :thumb:

As to the above statement, possessions inside and the house limits are separate and do not get added together. You need to make sure you are purchasing a limit that you can rebuild your home, not just what you paid for it. You are correct, you can buy homes for cheaper than building them.

Brad
April 21st, 2014, 07:01 PM
Congrats!! Don't forget to do needle mitigation. We are about to rake my inlaws house in Genesee. I would be happy to help with this as well. I work for beer and food. :thumb:

glacierpaul
April 24th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Jackie, congrats neighbor(well closer than you were before :))Trails are closer now too, who-hoo! Green Man Tree in Evergreen is good for the monsters, they carry all coverage for those. Or just climb to the top, start small and rope stuff down, very time consuming and dangerous. Done it, not fun. By the time I got all set up to do it myself, they had it done, comparatively. The point is they do those kind of situations all the time, let them take the risk, especially by the house.

Jackie
April 27th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Yeah! The closing went smoothly and we've already started moving boxes and totes etc. The garage is filling quickly!

Here are a few pics:

javaman34
April 27th, 2014, 01:03 PM
Nice! When is the house warming party?

Chris
April 27th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Congratulations Jackie! Nice looking place, I'll second Jarold's house warming question! :D

Tom
April 27th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Jackie
April 27th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Well the tree guy is going to be working to take down the monster trees Mon. - Wed. this week. I will post the address as soon as I can inspect the results and then you all are are free to drive by and take firewood that will be stacked by the road. We have a lot more to do with regards to trees, but most of it it we think we can do ourselves (but help is surely appreciated)! Britton can cut them down, but hauling them out is another story:rolleyes:

We have a truck rented for a move of some of our light-weight furniture and other stuff planned for May 1. The majority of the stupid boxes that make you crazy in a move are already up there - thanks to the mini-van.

Where we might need help with the move is unfortunately going to land on Memorial Day weekend. We will be renting a truck again, but the couches and beds and dining room table, maybe a few other things, are just too heavy for me to be of much help. We'd love it if any of you are available to help load the truck here on the Westminster side and maybe a couple guys up by Evergreen could help off-load it?

Food and beverage will of course be provided!

House-warming will have to wait until I actually have it set up where people can sit down and relax!!! As it stands right now - you'd need to bring your camp chair!

javaman34
April 27th, 2014, 03:31 PM
I have a couple of camping chairs.

Chris
April 27th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Jackie, check out a couple moving companies just to see what they charge. We used to move ourselves until we found out that a mover can be pretty affordable when you get right down to it. What would take us a weekend ended up being done in a day. When it was all said and done we were moved and unpacked in short order. I'm not talking a big name company but there are a bunch of small ones around.

One move was in July and hot as hell. We just directed the movers to which room to drop whatever we had and unpacked as they moved it. Our 3 bedroom house was moved and unpacked in 24 hours. We haven't done it since ourselves.

Jackie
April 27th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Bring-em!

Jim
April 28th, 2014, 07:58 PM
I got a pic of your tree guy in action!!!

http://i.imgur.com/nUJnJLg.gif

Jim
April 28th, 2014, 08:01 PM
A client, moving in a new-to-her home, commented on her "2-guys and a truck move" - two houses into one house (all local) $1200.

Jackie
April 28th, 2014, 08:22 PM
I got a pic of your tree guy in action!!!

That's really funny (but not funny)! It's hard to be 45 minutes away and not be able to "stupid-vise" the goings-on.:lmao:

Jackie
April 28th, 2014, 08:46 PM
A client, moving in a new-to-her home, commented on her "2-guys and a truck move" - two houses into one house (all local) $1200.

I've checked them out online. I still think we might be able to get it done without hiring a company. The truck-load this Thursday, Britton and I can do by ourselves. The only things we may need help with next month are a couch, loveseat, large chair, diningroom table and a couple bed mattresses. (And maybe help lifting 2 large screen tv's off the wall. I can help carry after they are down, I just don't have the strength at the height they are hanging at to get them down without a crash)! We have trimmed down to the point where this move should be fairly easy. I don't think we're taking any of the appliances either. We'll see how it goes. We might even get one of the heavy (Queen bed) out of here this Thursday. I don't think I can help him lift the king mattress though. The box springs are a non-issue, very light.

Jim
April 28th, 2014, 09:28 PM
Organize a moving day and see who's available. I'll jump down to help if the day you choose to move is open for me.

Jackie
May 2nd, 2014, 09:14 AM
Our "Tree Guy" did a great job taking down 2 of the monster trees and a couple small ones for a very reasonable price. There are still a few more that will need to come down or at least get a real good trimming. We need to have some time up there to think it through. There is one that is pretty large and our insurance company wants it down. Our tree guy agreed that eventually it will come down on it's own so best to get it done before it causes damage. Another one is fairly large and somewhat close to the house but is creating too much of a canopy for flames to jump from tree-to-tree. I think the rest are little things that we can do ourselves.

We filled a 16' box truck as well as our minivan as full as we could get. We think we are about 2/3 done getting our Westminster home emptied out. I will probably take a couple more trips up there this weekend with anything I can stuff into the van by myself as Britton will be working. I think by the end of the month, our final move-out should be fairly easy.

GAWD - I hate moving!

Patrolman
May 2nd, 2014, 09:34 AM
Looks like the trees were a good success! We have a fireplace, so might be interested in the firewood. I can't do anything about it right now. If nobody else takes it, I will get back to you later about it. Glad that move is going along well!

Brad
May 2nd, 2014, 08:26 PM
I can come by and get some!

Funrover
May 3rd, 2014, 03:15 PM
Hey, still willing to help! Just give me a buzz!

jayson44
May 5th, 2014, 08:48 AM
I'd take a couple of those chunks/stumps off your hands! I need a few for a project for my son's birthday. :)

J.

Jackie
May 5th, 2014, 04:44 PM
I'd take a couple of those chunks/stumps off your hands! I need a few for a project for my son's birthday.

I hear ya. Britton has his eyes on a few that he wants to keep for a project he has in mind as well, but he will be out of town for the next 10 days or so. I want him to have first pick - then we'll be willing to give the rest away.

Here's a picture of our temporary "redneck-fix" to avoid having anyone step in the hole in the deck. Quick. Easy. And cheaper and more efficient than duct tape in this case!!!

Jackie
May 23rd, 2014, 10:32 PM
"All work and no play makes Jackie a dull girl".
"All work and no play makes Jackie a dull girl".
"All work and no play makes Jackie a dull girl"....

Sound familiar???

We're getting there! Not as originally planned - but we're getting there. Painting Annika's new bedroom in Evergreen and moving more smaller items in this weekend. This house in Westminster is almost empty. I sure wish the weather would cooperate better. I'll hate it if we have to move the heavy furniture in rain like we've been getting.

I'm sure by now the wood pile is soaking wet, But it will still be up for grabs.

We might be able to use some help with furniture next Saturday if anyone on the Evergreen side is available to help unload the truck and carry the items in.