PDA

View Full Version : Moon and Gamble Gulch

Pathrat
March 31st, 2008, 08:04 PM
Hi Everyone. Here is the first trail report I ever wrote. To date, I have written a whopping two. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera on this run.

I am one of the many four-wheelers in Colorado that rely on the trail description book by Charles A. Wells, Colorado Backroads and 4-Wheel Drive Trails (2006; FunTreks, Inc; P.O Box 3127, Monument CO, 80132). This afternoon we did Moon and Gamble Gulch trail, page 105 of Mr. Wells trail guide. After turning west off Hwy 119 onto Moon Gulch Road and resetting the odometer, the directions state that the trail starts on the left at mile 2.4. The trail actually takes off to the left at about 2.9-3.0, depending on how quickly you reset. Off to the left of the trail is a flat spot where I have seen campers set up, and Mr. Wells is correct in describing the aspens flanking the road. At 2.0, our directions dictate crossing a small stream and proceeding one tenth of a mile to make a hard left up a hill. If you don't have a Jeep, you will make at least a four point turn. Watch out for the thick dead-looking branch on the right side of the trail just waiting to gouge out your back windshield. However, you really don't have to do this. At 2.0, on your left, there is a rock-lined 'trail' that will take you to the same spot as the pain in the neck left turn at 2.1. If your vehicle cannot make it up this section of the trail, proceed no further: you will break or maim something that you value having intact on your ride. At the top of this section of trail Mr. Wells specifically advises us to not traverse, you will find the road listed at our directions given between mile marker 2.1 and 2.6. Cross the little stream by the shallow pond. The road is to your left and does not look well-traveled. Also, do not take the steep inclined trail to the right when the trail forks just past the pond. Going back behind you is the road coming up from the unnecessary hard left noted at 2.1 miles. The best advice is to have a GPS unit. Mr. Wells' coordinates were spot on. We used our GPS and his coordinates to find the route for ourselves and a few Jeeps behind us.

The trail is listed as moderate, less difficult than the Kingston Peak trail. I did Kingston last weekend and comparatively, that road is cake. I will have to disagree. There has been significant weathering of the trail. Many sections are just rock, no dirt. The rocks can be sizeable, but nothing like the boulder fields of the more hardcore trails; just little to not as little pointy rocks waiting to pop your tires. The descent to Gamble Gulch is difficult. There is a turn hidden by trees with a sizeable, tippy driver's side hole. I watched as the Jeep in the lead had to correct. Go around? You can't clear the trees on the passenger side and the boulder on the driver's side so you have to maneuver though the dip. I had to head in, back up and correct my course twice, but it is manageable.

Moon and Gamble Gulch is a fun, short trail close to Denver with enough challenges to keep your attention. Just be aware as there are side roads everywhere.

Funrover
March 31st, 2008, 09:14 PM
Guess we will have to go back and get pics sometime!

Pathrat
March 31st, 2008, 09:19 PM
yes, yes we will. What are the "applaud" and "karma" icons, Oh Experienced former Winched Rockcrusher?

Funrover
March 31st, 2008, 09:21 PM
Basically if you have done a good deed or reallly helped out with information someone will click on the applaud and it gives you a Karma point!

4Runninfun
March 31st, 2008, 09:25 PM
i'm with funrover, sounds like a good excuse to go back. WE NEED PICS!!!

Pathrat
March 31st, 2008, 09:38 PM
I know, I was totally disgusted with myself for not bringing the camera. Nothing like remembering what you forgot as you approach the trailhead.

Funrover
March 31st, 2008, 09:52 PM
We will choose a day and you will be our fearless leader!

Pathrat
March 31st, 2008, 10:14 PM
sure thing! Even though I think you guys could drive this one-handed. You all are correct, pictures are needed

Funrover
March 31st, 2008, 11:16 PM
It's fun to just get out!

Pathrat
April 1st, 2008, 09:47 PM
Yes, I am dying to get out. I tried the lead in to Yankee Hill last weekend, looking for anything around there and only the road to the townsite of Apex is open

Funrover
April 1st, 2008, 09:50 PM
Only 19 days till Metberry.. but who's counting? LOL ;D