PDA

View Full Version : Jury duty

Tom
April 14th, 2014, 01:01 PM
I'm 62 years old and have never been called for jury duty. That is until today. I was picked as a juror for a trial expected to last 5 days. I am excited about being a juror.

ozmonkey
April 14th, 2014, 01:30 PM
I've never been called either, but I've also moved every few years. I worked with a guy once who got called up at least once a year.

The StRanger
April 14th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Always called but never pulled

Jackie
April 14th, 2014, 02:42 PM
What Sam said.

Rick
April 14th, 2014, 02:47 PM
I am excited about being a juror.:eek:

Jim
April 14th, 2014, 03:02 PM
A buddy was called to a ?federal? case near Chicago and he said it was QUITE interesting. IIRC, a ?russian mob? human trafficing related case.

Hmmm - what dark corner will your case be from?

GaryG
April 14th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Called many times, served for the first time this year, it was very interesting. Mine was only a day, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Chris
April 14th, 2014, 03:51 PM
I've been called a lot, every year or two but have yet to be called beyond the waiting room.

The StRanger
April 14th, 2014, 03:54 PM
I've been called a lot, every year or two but have yet to be called beyond the waiting room.

Sounds like me..
I'll be very surprised if I do ever get to sit !!

ILuvtheMountains
April 14th, 2014, 04:22 PM
I was chosen once when I was 25. Very interesting experience. I was dealing with a guy who beat up his 14 year-old brother after he took him to a party and got him drunk then came after said brother and his mom with a kitchen knife. But the way the prosecutor was filing charges made it VERY difficult to come to a unanimous decision at the end. it was crazy because 11 of us were ready to convict but the 12th guy stated his case and started winning people over. 4 hours later we ended up saying he was guilty of all the but the most severe charge, which happened to be the one the prosecutor really wanted him for. Good example of how much particular wording can save someone who was clearly in the wrong. I would do it again, but it was a pain getting time off work (5 days for me) and it angered me that the insignificant $50/day that they reimburse you for the time off was supposed to make it all okay. But, at the same time, that is one of the prices of living in this great country. Hopefully (God forbid) I can rely on good jurors to help me out if I were to get in trouble at some time.
edit- get in Trouble for something I didn't do or being charged incorrectly.

Myrtle Turtle
April 14th, 2014, 04:46 PM
I served once on a alcohol & firearms case, but the thing I remember the most is that I was 8 months pregnant and had to request potty breaks over and over.

BLOODBANE
April 14th, 2014, 07:42 PM
I was an "On Call" juror once. I had to be within 30 minutes of the courthouse (all summer). Of course we had a fire in our house at the same time and was living out of a hotel. I never went to a trial, but it sucked. I have never had another jury summons. (I didnt think that was how the jury summons process worked). It covered stuff like people taking vacations and put in a request to be place on summons later in the year. Did I mention IT SUCKED?

Jackie
April 14th, 2014, 08:28 PM
I was 8 months pregnant and had to request potty breaks over and over.

Haha! I hear ya!

Brad
April 14th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Been summoned 3 times. Last one was picked to be on a jury, on the way into the courtroom the guy struck a plea and I was dismissed. Crazy stuff.

javaman34
April 14th, 2014, 09:04 PM
Been summoned many times, but have yet to get called to serve.

96blkbeauty
April 14th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Was called to report for grand jury duty last month...much different then trial jury duty. They had to choose 21 jurors and 21 backup jurors out of total of about 70 people there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_jury

Unlike trial jury duty, grand jury members are required to meet once a month for up to 7 days.

They sat us down in the courtroom and the judge asked each of us questions....one of them involving current work situation. I had just started a new job that week, and I told the judge that missing that much work would not be a good thing with my new employer. He understood, and cut me lose.

Shane
April 14th, 2014, 10:43 PM
Done that once on a domestic violence case once they both had some issues, would prefer not to do it again. EVER!

JFjeld
April 15th, 2014, 10:05 AM
I've lived in CO for 1.5 years and was called for Jury Duty about 2 months ago for Weld County. I, too, was selected to be on the Jury; this was for a district case. Selected Tuesday, trial started Tuesday PM, deliberations Thursday night, and we ended on Friday. My experience was bittersweet; great experience and insight into the Judicial System. However, the defendant was charged with sexual exploitation of a child, which means we, unfortunately, had to view the evidence against him. It was sick and highly disturbing. We found him guilty due to the overwhelming evidence against him. The best part was the State of CO allows jurors to question witnesses. The judge reviews the questions, along with Prosecution/Defense. A number of our questions were used, including several of mine.

My wife was assigned to report to Jury Duty the very next week, though she was not selected.

Jackie
April 15th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Ugh! I don't think I could handle being a jury member on a case related to abusing a child in any way.

The StRanger
April 15th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Ugh! I don't think I could handle being a jury member on a case related to abusing a child in any way.
Yet the wifes daughter is goung to school for counseling Abused children ..

Cr33p3r
April 15th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Been called 8 times in the last 20 years and sat on three jury's, I hate it anymore and I have a statement I use so I do not have to do it any longer. As of the last time when I used it I haven't been called again.

Hypoid
April 15th, 2014, 04:35 PM
If you were being interviewed for such a case, that statement would get you out of it.

I was called, got far as the interview for a DUI case. The prosecutor asked me something about being able to use visual observation to tell if someone was impaired. I said "I don't know about that. I got through a roadside sobriety checkpoint when I should not have." The judge thanked me for coming in that day, told me I could leave. :)

carpenle
April 16th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Seems like once they call you, they keep calling you. I have been called several times, but never picked.

The StRanger
April 16th, 2014, 11:00 AM
If your registered to vote, Your registered for jury duty..

JFjeld
April 16th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Seems like the concensus is that of avoiding jury duty. I was actually happy to be selected and enjoyed the overall experience. My employer compensated me fully for it, even beyond their 3-day obligation. $50/day from the State/County only compensates me for about an hour of real work, lol.

Tom
April 16th, 2014, 06:40 PM
I'm enjoying it thoroughly. Very ,very interesting case. Defense begins tomorrow.

Jim
April 16th, 2014, 07:22 PM
What type of case (or can't you say just yet)?

ExplorerTom
April 16th, 2014, 07:42 PM
I've heard if you want to serve- call and say you can't for some reason. I've heard that you get bumped to the top of the list and your number will get called the next time. Whether you get selected by the lawyers is another thing.

Ive been summoned once but my group wasn't called.

Tom
April 16th, 2014, 08:14 PM
What type of case (or can't you say just yet)?
Can't say till its over.

Chris
April 16th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Can't say till its over.

You passed the test Tom! :thumb:

Tom
April 18th, 2014, 10:45 PM
Jury duty is over. Left the courthouse at 9:30 PM.

This was a complicated case. It involved a $700,000 lawsuit by a couple who lost everything during the 4 mile fire. They had a home in sunshine canyon. The suit was against the insurance agent, the agency, and American Family Insurance. We had 41 pages of Jury instructions and 5 verdicts to render.

They included fraud, negligence, incompetence, bad faith.

One thing I learned is read and understand your insurance policies and ALWAYS attend any personal insurance reviews.

Rob
April 20th, 2014, 06:37 PM
I served on a jury in Grass Valley, Calif., in the 1990s. Enjoyed it. Summoned twice in the 15 years I've lived in Boulder County. One pleaded out during jury selection. I'd do it again.

Tom
April 20th, 2014, 06:48 PM
I enjoyed it immensely except staying until 9:30 pm. Wouldn't want to do it every year but would love to do it again. Major life experience!

carpenle
April 21st, 2014, 09:32 AM
Jury duty is over. Left the courthouse at 9:30 PM.

This was a complicated case. It involved a $700,000 lawsuit by a couple who lost everything during the 4 mile fire. They had a home in sunshine canyon. The suit was against the insurance agent, the agency, and American Family Insurance. We had 41 pages of Jury instructions and 5 verdicts to render.

They included fraud, negligence, incompetence, bad faith.

One thing I learned is read and understand your insurance policies and ALWAYS attend any personal insurance reviews.

Glad you enjoyed it Tom! I would not have been picked, because I am an Insurance agent :confused: It is great advise, it is really important to read and understand your policies. So many people today are only concerned with price and do not care what the policy says. Understand what you are buying and a lot of time you get what you pay for.

JFjeld
April 21st, 2014, 01:25 PM
Glad you enjoyed the experience. How many people on the jury, and what did the jury decide?

Tom
April 21st, 2014, 04:18 PM
7 jurors. 4 verdicts against the plantiff. Found for the plaintiff 1 time but 600,000 less than they wanted.

redneck23ms
April 21st, 2014, 06:30 PM
i have jury duty this wednesday. this is my 5th time getting the notice for it. the first 4 were back in MS. been here 2 years and this is my first time but have only been registered to vote here for about a year. gotta call tomorrow afternoon to see if i have to go in or not.

greenramp
April 23rd, 2014, 01:32 PM
I just got notice for Jury duty on the 30th of June.

Tom
April 23rd, 2014, 04:20 PM
i have jury duty this wednesday. this is my 5th time getting the notice for it. the first 4 were back in MS. been here 2 years and this is my first time but have only been registered to vote here for about a year. gotta call tomorrow afternoon to see if i have to go in or not.
Hiw did it go?