PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: camping advice "outside Denver" July...

Jim
April 21st, 2014, 07:30 PM
A thread came up in a motorcycle forum I frequent and I thought folks here would have some good suggestions. Reply here if you wish to contribute. I'll kick the URL of this thread to the MC forum...

www.sport-touring.org/index.php?topic=1103.0 (http://www.sport-touring.org/index.php?topic=1103.0)

Going to visit my buddy in Denver for some camping in July. We want some privacy - just 3 guys, no family (wives and kids staying home), not really looking to meet people and go to the beach - hiking, would like some water for fishing (lake or river) and maybe some shade, up in the mountains would be nice for good views. Looking for something I just can't find here in the midwest.

Any suggestions?

Will be car camping because we don't have enough backpacking gear for everyone, and no killer 4 wheeler to get us deep into the boonies, but off the beaten path, secret spots are what I'm looking for; we'll have a stove and big ass cooler and what not, so we dont really need 'facilities' although one of the guys is kind of a city boy...

Thanks!

- Dan

Brad
April 21st, 2014, 07:52 PM
I've got some suggestions but need to know how far they want to go. ie: montrose/ouray is great but a 5 hour drive. I am a avid follower of boon-docking and know of a few good spots, just want to know how far out they want to go.

Jackie
April 21st, 2014, 07:53 PM
Easy. If Camp Dick is open, that would be a great choice.

Hypoid
April 22nd, 2014, 05:00 AM
More information about the vehicles would be helpful.

Java
April 22nd, 2014, 06:50 AM
Red Feather Lakes sounds like it would fit them. State Forest State Park has some cool yurts and cabins that they might enjoy too, as well as lots of water. Down south Blue Mesa reservoir is awesome, renting a boat there is a great day.

JFjeld
April 22nd, 2014, 10:13 AM
Loch Lomond near Alice is beautiful. You can fish and hike and they have a number of camping areas right there. I've not personally camped there but its near the top of my list. They'll need a little clearance, but the trail itself is only rated a 2:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=71

Just an hour from Denver.

glacierpaul
April 24th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Pssst., last fall late Sept/early Oct. they re-poured concrete along the dam, so the water rights folks had the road improved enough to get the equipment/concrete trucks and pumper up there. It was Prius friendly my last trip report for the Loch :((EDIT: I never did write up my many trips up there around 9/16-9/25.) The pic is of the dam, almost to the gate at the bottom. I have never seen that low before(25 years) and they were going to pump it out to pour a huge concrete pan and dam footing down there. I was too busy to get back up, but they closed the gates during construction work anyway. My hope is the heavy rain flooding actually did some needed erosion to return the trail to previous conditions. :) The weekends are crazy busy, best times are thru the week. Chinn's and Sherwin and Fall River Res. are in the same boat, nice but busy. That is Colorado now.

How about the Great Sand Dunes National Monument as a base camp, and then do the surrounding Sangre De Cristo range trails, it does get busy at certain times of year too.

glacierpaul
April 24th, 2014, 03:42 PM
sorry for the semi hijack...there are 5 other lakes above the Loch to check out too. They depend on good hiking abilities to get to, but totally worth it. :2c: That is me in our inflatable out on the lake.Edit, that is a kayaker out fishing.

Woodscaper
April 26th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Taylor Park area has everything you want. Forrest camping along side Texas Creek and spots are wooded and spread out. A hike up to the Texas lakes is easy and beautiful. Taylor river is great fishing also, plenty of stuff to do in the area. The road to Texas creek area is bumpy but a car will make it no problem. Check it out, You want be disappointed.

blueYODA
April 26th, 2014, 01:51 PM
I have always wanted to check out the Forest Lakes. Its kinda out by Rollinsville and the Moffitt tunnel. You have to hike in and the pics look amazing. If you google search forest lakes colorado you can see for yourself

Jim
April 26th, 2014, 02:34 PM
My thanks to all for suggestions. There's not, yet, much activity at the OP's thread, but that may change as the time draws closer. This thread will end up being somewhat one-sided - that's OK - the suggestions are all appreciated.