PDA

View Full Version : Rollins pass area

SubAlpine
April 27th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Went to the Rollinsville area on saturday. Gamble gulch is closed at Perigo. Mammoth gulch had a few large drifts on the first straight grade from Tolland, but might be fun. Rollins Pass was doable until the end of the first grade. In the shade there, a large drift was devouring a new 4runner. Could be done, but bring a friend.

ExplorerTom
April 27th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Are you saying a 4runner was stuck in the drift?

SubAlpine
April 27th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Yep, a 2014, buried to the door sills. There was a f250 trying to pull him out with a strap, that was actually made up of four broken straps tied together. Luckily, I roll with a master pull rope. F250 got the 4runner out. Then a frontier got stuck on the way out. I pulled him back up hill and out. Then the 2014 runner went first, and the Nissan followed, got stuck again, and the other runner pulled him out, forwards. My rope got a work out.

SubAlpine
April 27th, 2014, 03:26 PM
after we got the 4runner out the f250, which was way lifted, but had balled ass tires, took a few runs at the drift. Almost got stuck, then realized that no one was heavy enough to get him out, and stopped. It was a good day. One guy said my "yoda looks damn good", educated a few people on recovery gear, and HOW NOT TO CUT YOURSELF IN HALF. So all in all, I rolled up, looked bad ass and knowledgeable, all in front of my wife and kids. Super dad!

Chris
April 27th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Way to go Chris! :thumb:

Brad
April 27th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Nice!

The StRanger
April 27th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Very Nice !!

SubAlpine
April 27th, 2014, 09:47 PM
And a somewhat related note....
I will be working on a research project to ascertain the actual damage done to watercourses in proximity to OHV trails. So, steam crossings, and how the water is affected, i.e. I will be running and testing the water of Jenny Creek, several times this summer.

jayson44
April 28th, 2014, 10:57 AM
awesome job helping out! always nice to look cool in front of the family. :)

also, I think I saw you driving into Golden this weekend...I can't remember where I saw you, but I'm pretty sure it was your rig. looks great in person!

J.

SubAlpine
April 28th, 2014, 12:23 PM
I was in and out of golden on Saturday I think. Working on getting the 4runner up to what I think par is.