PDA

View Full Version : So many things I love about Colorado, this is not one of them.

ILuvtheMountains
May 11th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Spring snow storms with snow that feels like bricks when you are shoveling and destroys canopy sets that were Christmas presents that had just been put up just days before and admired for one super-cool birthday BBQ.
Not one of the things that I love about Colorado.

Jackie
May 11th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Ugh! That's too bad. Maybe you can still save it.

Haku
May 11th, 2014, 03:44 PM
hahaa....looks like a good welding project to beef it up to me!

To Colorado's credit...the weather guys knew this was coming 4 days ago :P

On the bright side, this kind of weather minimizes fire danger for a while and helps keep everything green for longer.

ILuvtheMountains
May 11th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Yeah I knew it was gonna snow but it was tough to put together and didn't want to disassemble it. We were just going to go out to knock off the snow and were in the process of putting shoes on when it collapsed. I definitely don't mind any precip though so that is definitely a good thing the wet snow probably helps the ground to soak it up better than a hard rain by staying in place longer.
i think I could do something much better with $30 worth of angle.

ExplorerTom
May 11th, 2014, 04:11 PM
I've seen it snow heavy snow like this as late as the first week of June.

ILuvtheMountains
May 11th, 2014, 07:41 PM
Yeah, being a native I have seen some pretty "unique" weather during springtime.

ExplorerTom
May 11th, 2014, 07:44 PM
I use to play the summer/winter tire game. I got caught in some snow a few times on my summer tires. Summer tires in snow are totally worthless.

ILuvtheMountains
May 11th, 2014, 08:28 PM
So what do you do now? I have ATs for the winter and MTs for the summer. I hoped that the MTs would be better in snow, but they suck.

BLUE THUNDER
May 11th, 2014, 08:41 PM
I went out this morning and brush the snow off my convertible so that would not happen.

ExplorerTom
May 11th, 2014, 08:45 PM
That was in my Mazda Protege. That's what I had before my Explorer. It could justify a set of good summer rubber. And with snow tires, it was a mountain goat. With summer tires in the snow, the steering wheel was merely a suggestion.

Now I just run all seasons on my daily. My Explorer has ATs. But it rarely gets driven on the street in the snow.

The StRanger
May 11th, 2014, 08:51 PM
Yup. These heavy spring snows !! suck !!

Jackie
May 11th, 2014, 10:14 PM
We didn't get any accumulation here in Westminster, but the sump pump is working over-time. Maybe that's a good thing...

Jim
May 11th, 2014, 11:29 PM
We didn't get any accumulation here in Westminster

Curious.

I measured 4" on a table on my patio - it's now melted down to less than 3". I kept hearing of "a foot of snow in CO and WY" on the news along with ~120 miles of I-80 in WY closed.

Cr33p3r
May 12th, 2014, 03:04 AM
2 winters ago we had one similar to that and all we had up was just the frame and it was destroyed, mostly due to the wind more than the snow. Those canopys are expensive too.

Java
May 12th, 2014, 07:44 AM
that sucks. I guess all you can do is put it on craigslist as "lightly used". :)

ILuvtheMountains
May 12th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Curious.

I measured 4" on a table on my patio - it's now melted down to less than 3". I kept hearing of "a foot of snow in CO and WY" on the news along with ~120 miles of I-80 in WY closed.
Yeah, but if that snow was closer to the average density of CO snow, it would have been at least a foot or more.

Jackie
May 12th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Curious.

Nope - we drove from Westminster to Littleton last night and although it was snowing, it wasn't sticking. Roads were wet but no snow. This is my back yard right now. Barely enough for a decent snowball fight!

alexb
May 12th, 2014, 10:23 AM
On the bright side, this kind of weather minimizes fire danger for a while and helps keep everything green for longer.

I figure that either we'll have a dry independence day full of fire bans or it will snow like this in the spring, stuff will dry out and we'll have fire season starting in late August.

ExplorerTom
May 12th, 2014, 06:36 PM
We got about 5" in Highlands Ranch. The further north I drove this morning, the less snow there was. I went all the way to Greeley. Still had 2-3" when I got home.