PDA

View Full Version : 2014-05 - Menu Changes

Jim
May 18th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Two different menu changes took place this weekend.

My thanks for Chris for showing me how!

Under the "General" down drop menu we now have "Trail Stories" listed.
Under the "Off-Topic" down drop menu we now have "Members Only" listed.
Prior to this change, to access those two forums, we'd have to hit the full forum listing screen to access them. Now, either method is possible.

Second, I moved "Mark Forums Read" out from the "Forum Actions" sub menu. This was a personal preference of mine that you might enjoy.

Why you ask? When I access the forum, I do so via a bookmark that loads the "show new posts" function. This is the same as hitting the link in the top right corner of the screen that says "You Have x Unread Posts" (I bookmarked that link). I then middle-mouse-button-click (press down on your mouse's "wheel" - it's also a button) to open the threads of interest in a new tab. Once all of the threads are open I click the "Mark Forum Read" function. Once the mark-read page is complete I close its tab and begin reading the remaining tabs, closing as I go. By the time I get to the desired threads they are fully loaded so no waiting for photos to fill in.

Chris: The first item, as you told me, was in the dropdown area (Search In Templates). The second item, that I had a difficult time finding, was in the Navaigation Manager (Admincp > Settings > Navigation Manager). My blockage was not expanding the main menu that showed all of the sub-categories.

Chris
May 18th, 2014, 05:39 PM
Nicely done Jim!

xaza
May 20th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Not sure I like where it is positioned now. I try to read every post and don't use the "mark forums read" button but all it takes is a little bump while clicking and all my new posts are gone. I don't really pay attention to what forum posts are usually in and just read everything new. It is an action button in a line with drop downs which makes it kind of out of place. Just my :2c:

Jim
May 20th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Not sure I like where it is positioned now.

I can easily push it left in the menu - either all the way left or left of the drop-downs...

I originally thought of putting it far left but then, right next to the "new posts" item I felt would be an issue for an errant mouse click (that you speak of).

Thoughts?

Chris
May 20th, 2014, 09:25 PM
I still like the idea of putting by the unread posts Jim - Login/Registration template?