PDA

View Full Version : Camping Report

Patrolman
May 21st, 2014, 07:13 PM
Not 4wd, just paved camping. We went last night. It was the first time with the trailer, and the first time with the 3 year old daughter, so we did not stray far from home. We went to Bear Creek Lake Park.
http://www.lakewood.org/Camping/

Cost to the Park and the camp fee is $20. Good price for a local gig. Includes access to the beach, but it was too cold for swimming. The camp spots have electric, onsite bathrooms, and playground for the little one. Dog friendly too. I was surprised to see horse stables and a nice archery range within walking distance of the campground. There is also a nice bike path through the park. I believe it connects to the Bear Creek Trail. The camping was about 1/3 to 1/2 full. Nice quiet place on a week night. Probably the worst part is you can hear both 285 and C-470 in the background when it is quiet. Made falling asleep a bit difficult. Red Rocks or Bandimere could definitely make for a long night.

Our trip started out from our house with just a bit of sprinkling rain as we jumped in the truck. 5 minutes later, on C-470, it was raining steady. Within 1 mile, we couldn't even see where we were driving on C-470. Had to pull over and do about 20mph to the Morrison exit. We decided to forge ahead and make the best of the weather. When we got to the camp site, it stopped raining. No more rain for the rest of the evening! Family had a good time walking the dog, grilling, riding bikes, roasting marshmallows, and playing at the playground.

This morning started out with clouds and cold, so we packed it up early. As soon as we got the trailer closed and everything loaded, it started to sprinkle. Got the trailer hooked to the truck and made some tracks back home. Overall a good trip. Nobody got soaked, it was quiet and relaxing, and we made it home safe!

For those who are cyclists, check out the photos of the guy riding the LWB bike (unsure what they are called). He has his camp gear AND his mountain bike on the cargo area. This guy was hardcore. He stopped right in front of our site and I told him I had to take a photo because nobody would believe me! Nice guy. Said he rode from un-incorporated Adams county. The campground was his destination. Didn't get to chat more as his phone rang.

Patrolman
May 21st, 2014, 07:25 PM
Forgot to mention this is the 1st time in probably 25 years that I have camped in a pay site (not including National Parks). 25 years ago was probably the last time I camped in a camper too. This was a different experience. Having power was kind of nice for a first time out with the family. That allowed for use of a radio, electric space heater, and toaster oven. Certainly out of the ordinary for me!

Funrover
May 21st, 2014, 08:15 PM
Fun park for sure! Some great pics you have there,thanks for sharing!!

Chris
May 21st, 2014, 09:14 PM
Nice popup Jeff!

My kids took their kids to the same place a week ago, I didn't even know it existed but they had a blast.

BTW, the 5th pic, your daughter at the table, is great. She's adorable!

Patrolman
May 21st, 2014, 10:03 PM
It sure is a nice popup. Previous owner must have taken good care of it. :)

Yeah, I didn't know it existed until about a week ago. Some friends told us about it and said it was a good place to go. The price was reasonable, the location was close, and it was a nice place.

My daughter certainly has lots of cute moments. She is a good kid and has fun with the camera. She has the classic pigtails and glasses.

Brad
May 22nd, 2014, 06:03 AM
Nice to see you get out! Now you need to go solar! :D

otisdog
May 22nd, 2014, 06:05 AM
Never heard of that park . Your pictures are making me itchy to pitch the tent.
Jim

glacierpaul
May 22nd, 2014, 06:08 AM
Sweet! My family has been buggin to go to the Sand Dunes National Monument, with our trailer.
That guys bike set up is cool, but man oh man that looks daunting thinking of hills....

Patrolman
May 22nd, 2014, 09:29 AM
If you can get offroad with the trailer, try camping on Medano pass. Very nice Forest Service camp sites. There are lots of them too.
http://www.nps.gov/grsa/medano-pass-road.htm

The Sand Dunes camp area is nice enough from my memory, but just like lots of other places, it is crowded. If nothing else, make sure you take the 4wd road that starts in the Park and goes to Medano. The dunes along that are steeper and closer. The stream is also right there and shaded well with trees!

Yeah, that bike had to weigh a LOT. His mountain bike plus all his camping gear, wow.

glacierpaul
May 23rd, 2014, 06:18 AM
Been there a total of 10 times, 7 years in a row actually, one of our favorite spots - the entire range has plenty to offer. We have not been back since 09 :(, hoping to go this summer at some point. I have a 25' travel trailer, so the sand ramp is a no go for me...with trailer. The rangers actually told me not to take my Ford truck thru there, but I did it anyway, did not even air down, and made it over Medano and back. Every season is different though. I pulled a Subaru out of one of the water crossings before, submerged to the windows! The guy said he thought if he went fast enough he would make it. Maybe, if he wouldn't have high centered on a big rock. They were doing a lot of upgrades to the campgrounds back in 09, including a dump/fill station just before the camp.

jayson44
May 23rd, 2014, 08:59 AM
looks like fun. also, that Stumpy is awesome!

J.

scout man
May 23rd, 2014, 10:07 AM
wait... It has been 3 years since your daughter was born?!? Holy crap the last couple years have flown by. I am sure it feels more so for you though...

Patrolman
May 23rd, 2014, 12:42 PM
Yep. 3 years in February. Some days it feels like forever, but for the most part, time has flown by!