PDA

View Full Version : Ran Chinaman Gulch Today

JeepWrench
May 25th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Ran Chinaman Gulch today. Found a group of about 8 jeeps going up, most locals. Followed them of course......Really nice guys

After this trail all I can say is wow. We did it in the rain and all I can say is thank god for lockers. Anyone on less than 33s and at least a rear locker would not have made the trail. Even dry there is no way anything on 31s besides mabe a sami is gonna make that trail. I saw 3 stuck toyota fjs with rear lockers before the first obstacle lol. Will post lots of picture when I get back home.

The StRanger
May 25th, 2014, 09:20 PM
I like Chinamans, Fun little trail.
I ran it on 31 and open open.
Only got winched once ..

ExplorerTom
May 25th, 2014, 09:34 PM
It's been eroded like crazy since then. I don't think I could have run it with my factory Explorer suspension- even on 33s.

zukrider
May 25th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Its super washed out right now though! It was a damn tough trail this year. We ran it on the fourth, i received quite a few dents to boot!

xaza
May 25th, 2014, 09:37 PM
You all have got me convinced, time to plan a BV weekend.

SubAlpine
May 26th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature, Dude.

Coonburger
May 26th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Lol really?

ExplorerTom
May 26th, 2014, 06:44 PM

Chinaman is what is on the map. It's named in reference to all the Chinamen who were part of the mining boom in the area in the 1800s.

SubAlpine
May 26th, 2014, 07:17 PM
NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYOzUHnPJvU

javaman34
May 26th, 2014, 09:27 PM
Now, you're just joking around, right?

SubAlpine
May 26th, 2014, 09:32 PM
I guess I am the only one who quotes Lebowski like scripture.

jayson44
May 26th, 2014, 10:05 PM
naw, I gotcha, Chris. :)

J.

JeepWrench
May 27th, 2014, 11:05 AM
i seen all sorts of stuck rigs on 31s at the entrance. If you didnt have lockers and a min of 33s it wasnt happening period. But it was muddy as hell, I'm sure dry might be a different story................going to post pics this evening. Have about 40pics and 3 or 4 videos.

I banged on everything hard in my jeep. And that was taking the easiest lines most of the time. 3in is not enough lift for this trail wet. I destroyed my factory rear bumper lol. Dented the heck out of my gas skid. My belly skid took numerious big hits, got dragged over rocks, and hung up on everthing. OH and before I forget knocked off my muffler.Another inch of lift and a flat belly are my next mods after this trail

JFjeld
May 27th, 2014, 12:03 PM
One of my favorites. Ran it 3-4 weeks ago. I'd be up for another visit soon, particularly if there is camping involved.

Haku
May 27th, 2014, 12:20 PM
I did it last fall with a stock height 1st Gen IFS 4runner on 31's and the rear welded but front open. I scrapped a few times, but no body damage or rocker damage. I also did it a month ago with my crawler, and the mandatory lines didn't seem much worse then then they have been, but its hard to gauge sometimes.

xaza
May 27th, 2014, 06:08 PM
Last year was my first time on this trail and it became my new favorite. Went back the following week in fact. I had my 31's at that time but it was dry. Have since added more lift, bigger tires and sliders. I will be heading back this summer too but plan on making a weekend of it. There is a lot of great climbing in the area and would like to spend one day climbing with my friend.

gm4x4lover
May 27th, 2014, 06:48 PM
I guess I am the only one who quotes Lebowski like scripture.

I am an ordained Dudiest Priest.

ExplorerTom
May 27th, 2014, 09:29 PM
I banged on tons of things and I have like 8" of lift. If you don't have good flex, you'll need lockers.

But I ran it with 2 Xterras that were more or less stock (lockers though) and a 4runner that was open (but massively geared- I think he was crawling up things in 3rd gear at idle). The Xterras scraped a bunch. The 4runner driver said he ran it 2 weeks prior and the trail had changed drastically.

Fun trail but there are a few spots that are not optional that were fairly difficult. A good spotter is a must as well.

zukrider
May 27th, 2014, 10:16 PM
Agreed, a good spotter is very helpful. Case in point, The other xterra had less armor than i, and nary a scratch! My Xterra however, through less spotting, and a bit of vanity, many small dents. But have fun. It will be the best test you have ever had.

Stu
May 29th, 2014, 01:24 PM
I ran this one a few weeks ago. I gave the belly skidplate and rock sliders a good workout on double whammy. Fun though!

haha, hell yes.