PDA

View Full Version : Modem or Router ??

The StRanger
June 4th, 2014, 10:26 AM
We have our interwebby through Comcast and out wireless went down.
They tell us our Netgear modem went out.
What is the diffence between a modem and a Router ??
would you guys exchange the unit through Comcast or just buy your own. ???
And if so get a modem Or is a Router the way to go ??

otisdog
June 4th, 2014, 10:37 AM
Are you not entitled to get the Xfinity Modem/Wireless router being a Comcast customer? It is excellent and does both jobs. There's a monthly rental on it
Modem converts your cable signal to what the computer can read.
Wirelss Router gives you a wireless signal and wired ports.
There are combo units.
Did Comcast say you can buy your own modem? I thought you had to buy one through them
Jm

NOTE - here's a list of modems that Comcrap supports
http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

ILuvtheMountains
June 4th, 2014, 11:10 AM
You can buy your own modem and use it with comcast, and I recommend doing so. I bought mine from best buy and it is faster and more reliable than the comcast rental one, and it will eventually pay for itself. It wasn't cheap though. But the speed difference came primarily from a multi band gigabit router.

otisdog
June 4th, 2014, 11:54 AM
It's the telephone modem that you have to buy through them and to boot they have to come and install it. I've checked into this before. I'm talking about the gateway that provides phone for Comcast voice and cable modem.
Read first two posts:
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Voice-Service-and-Equipment/Modems-for-Comcast-Telephone-Service/td-p/1067931
Jim

The StRanger
June 4th, 2014, 01:47 PM
When we called Indi... Sorry !! Customer service !! we where told exchange it with Comcast.
We can do this but, I was hopin to just buy one and not have to worry about it..

Myrtle Turtle
June 4th, 2014, 07:07 PM
Hardware failure is the default answer for everything since they don't do any real troubleshooting. I personally let them roll a tech because that's where you get real customer service from Comcast and he can test the box and the line.

The StRanger
June 4th, 2014, 09:58 PM
The line in is working. I run a Ethernet cable from the netgear to the lappy and !! wola!!

Myrtle Turtle
June 4th, 2014, 11:17 PM
That does narrow it down. :D

otisdog
June 5th, 2014, 03:56 AM
So do you have a wireless router also?
Jim

The StRanger
June 5th, 2014, 08:03 AM
Just the Netgear for wireless..

The StRanger
June 5th, 2014, 08:05 AM
That does narrow it down. :D
Ya. I feel like if we have a password for the netgear we would have our wireless back up

Rick
June 5th, 2014, 08:33 AM
unless you changed it a lot of the netgears have the password on asticker on the bottom of the router

The StRanger
June 5th, 2014, 01:06 PM
unless you changed it a lot of the netgears have the password on asticker on the bottom of the router

It dont work..