PDA

View Full Version : and the fun begins

SubAlpine
June 9th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Got the front of Jade all torn apart today. CV's out, upper ball joints out, lowers off, tie rod out. Break lines are on the way, picking up LBJ's and UBJ's and tie rod tomorrow. Will drop off CV's for rebooting with longer silicone boots and new grease tomorrow. May actually have her back together by the weekend.
The LBJ's were 8 months old, and TRASH. boots torn to shreds, already binding up, and obviously the bolts sheered off yesterday. So cheap part lesson learned.

javaman34
June 9th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Wow. Have fun with that.

Brad
June 9th, 2014, 09:27 PM
Make sure to torque everything to spec. Remember over torqued is just as dangerous as it can lead to early bolt failure! :thumb:

glacierpaul
June 10th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Hopefully it goes easy for you Chris, good luck! Torque wrench is on my 'tool to buy next' list.

The StRanger
June 10th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Hopefully it goes easy for you Chris, good luck!A good Torque wrench is on my 'tool to buy next' list.

Fixed it..

SubAlpine
June 10th, 2014, 07:44 PM
I have a BAD ASS torque wrench. I just got a 35mm socket, cv's are ready to go in tomorrow before work. I am also picking up a third OEM CV from a friend, and I will then have the experience, tools and parts to swap a CV on trail. Thanks Brad! The only part I am worried about is pressing in the upper ball joints. But seems doable, so lets do this.

Brad
June 10th, 2014, 08:14 PM
My pleasure Chris! I love when I can use my talent to help others!

Java
June 10th, 2014, 09:03 PM
I have a BAD ASS torque wrench. I just got a 35mm socket, cv's are ready to go in tomorrow before work. I am also picking up a third OEM CV from a friend, and I will then have the experience, tools and parts to swap a CV on trail. Thanks Brad! The only part I am worried about is pressing in the upper ball joints. But seems doable, so lets do this.

I have this if it will help http://www.harborfreight.com/ball-joint-service-kit-for-2wd-and-4wd-vehicles-4065.html

glacierpaul
June 11th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Fixed it..

I only own one tool a 20" crescent wrench, that was made in China. All my other tools are craftsmen or better :), being in construction my whole life, cheap tools are not an option:thumb:

The StRanger
June 11th, 2014, 01:21 PM
I use HF stuff around the house and for one time use..
When it brakes "oh well"
I have a Mac torque stick that I got in like 1990somthin
Tune it up about once every couple a years and it just keeps on workin ...

SubAlpine
June 11th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Rebuilt CVs with longer silicone boots, from CVJ axle, awesome shop. SS break lines. Both in. Picking up everything else tomorrow after work.

ccbruin
June 11th, 2014, 07:15 PM
Hopefully it goes easy for you Chris, good luck! Torque wrench is on my 'tool to buy next' list.

Harbor freight has theirs on sale. I just got it for $9 + shipping with coupons

glacierpaul
June 11th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Those Look Sweet Chris!
Thanks For The Lead Alec.

Brad
June 12th, 2014, 06:18 AM
Nice CV's!

Java
June 12th, 2014, 07:53 AM
those are nice looking CVs, I didn't realize they were damaged. Sorry to hear that. Are they identical side to side, can you carry one spare?

SubAlpine
June 12th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Yes they are, and I am picking one up as a spare this weekend. The cvs were ok, we drove home, but the boots on the passenger side were toast. And with the lift, that is bound to happen often, so I went with these extended length boots from cvjreman.com.

SubAlpine
June 12th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Did you know: quality parts (LBJ's from Moog) come with grade 8 bolts, locktite and instructions? Installed. Waiting for Uppers and tie rod end. Should be done this evening. Good thing my wife's TDI jetta's transmission (DSG) is acting up, and it seems to not be designed to allow the user to service.

Brad
June 12th, 2014, 12:36 PM
I am a expert level VW tech, what's the trans doing?

SubAlpine
June 12th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Well it seems to be leaking, read puking, fluid from the union of motor/trans, and I do not have the ability to check and fill from the bottom? Crazy Germans re engineered gravity. It is at the shop now, so we will see what they say. But on a better note, 4runner is DONE. Needs and alignment, but done. I also checked the torque wrench I had when I replaced the LBJ's last September vs the much better, click type I got for xmas. Old one was off. 50lb/ft on click type was 65+ on the needle BS one. I think I found my problem.

Brad
June 12th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Pretty rare for the input shaft seal to leak. I can take a look if you like.

Great job on the 4runner!:thumb: