PDA

View Full Version : June 28, 2014 Chinaman Gulch

xaza
June 12th, 2014, 06:01 AM
I am a little hesitant to put this out there since I have a few things that must be done to get ready for Chinaman but hopefully this will give me the kick in the butt I need. Would be looking to meet at trail head around 9 and be on trail by 10. I am making this a friend and family deal so I will be having my sister, her significant other and daughter. Will also have tattoo artist/good friend and his son. Of course Wylie and my family. There will be 2 children with us with no wheeling experience as well as little experience from the adults. I have an odd request. We are going to be little crowded in 2 Cherokee's and was wondering if there might be an extra seat or 2.

BuckeyeNative
June 12th, 2014, 09:42 PM
It might be a little crowded on the trail as the Set Them Free Offroad event will be taking place that weekend.
http://www.stfoffroad.org/schedule.html

xaza
June 12th, 2014, 11:03 PM
I forgot about that, thanks. Still gonna plan on running it since my sister has her RV site reserved though.

Rick
June 12th, 2014, 11:38 PM
could be fun...meet fresh faces

Tnsejed
June 13th, 2014, 07:25 AM
I may be in. Just have to see how that week pans out.

Racerchef
June 14th, 2014, 07:15 AM
I could be a go need to research trail 1st I'm still a rookie!!

xaza
June 14th, 2014, 07:37 AM
It is a fun trail. Here is a video from last year. I ran it with 31s though I hear you need bigger this year. Should be dry by the time we are there which makes a huge difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vd_uwpUf34w

BuckeyeNative
June 14th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Thanks for posting the video. I was a passenger when we ran Chinaman in April and the group had 35"+ tires. When I mentioned wanting to run it with my CJ5 (31") the group consensus was it couldn't be done without help. I am sure it would be a challange with the limited flex, maybe I will try it someday.

Let us know how this trip turns out.

ILuvtheMountains
June 14th, 2014, 09:39 PM
I really want to do this trail but not sure the limo is up to it. I would likely go a weekend when it wasn't so busy but need to check it out at some point.

ExplorerTom
June 14th, 2014, 10:02 PM
If you don't have clearance, you need a good spotter.

And skid plates. You will scrape, regardless of a spotter.

In my group, we got 2 Xterras through. Both were on relatively stock tires (one was for sure). Both had limited flex suspensions, BUT both had factory lockers. One came away with some trail rash on body panels.

ILuvtheMountains
June 14th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Well I have an arb locker and skids on all but my gas tank and 33" MTs. Might be worth trying...

xaza
June 14th, 2014, 10:25 PM
My wife's brother is going to be making it up there too in his Tacoma. He has upgraded to 37" tires about the same time I went to 35's. Got rear trimmed up and should have eliminated rubbing issues there. Bump stop change tomorrow and we will see if it resolves binding issues.

ExplorerTom
June 14th, 2014, 10:30 PM
Is your gas tank metal or plastic?

without a skid plate, it's either going to hold a little less gas (metal) or crack (plastic)- if you hit it.

xaza
June 15th, 2014, 04:37 PM
Got bump stops in and bolt cut. Looks like no more drive shaft binding. All clearance issues seem to be resolved. Last thing is the over heating which has not been an issue on trail. Can bump start time back if that helps.

xaza
June 22nd, 2014, 05:54 AM
Truck drove up Floyd Hill and maintained temp no problem yesterday for trail clean up run. I will be running Chinaman Gulch on Saturday if anyone wants to join.

ILuvtheMountains
June 22nd, 2014, 08:32 AM
Is your gas tank metal or plastic?

without a skid plate, it's either going to hold a little less gas (metal) or crack (plastic)- if you hit it.
Didn't see this before. It's plastic. I am pretty mindful of it when wheeling since it is the most vulnerable part under there but I still plan on getting the skid for that at some point.

xaza
June 25th, 2014, 04:15 PM
It is confirmed that wife's brother will be with in his Tacoma. Haven't posted it as a run since doesn't look like anyone else is going to make it. Here is a video of the last time we went out to Spring Creek as a couple with a couple brothers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5vZoCb-mLQ&feature=player_detailpage