PDA

View Full Version : Want To Go Trail Riding and Camping Next Weekend

JeepWrench
June 16th, 2014, 07:03 AM
Hey guys and gals,

Just posting this out here is anyone has suggestions or wants to join.

My girl and I want to go ride a long trail or series of trails and camp midway. Want something with a nice big mountain backdrop, prefer a creek, and around 8000-8500 in elevation for the campsite. Looking to drive no further than 2.5hrs from denver each way. Coming with me(29) will be Steff(my girl 26), Breeze(My dog 7), and Turtle(My Jeep). We are laid back, listen to all kinds of music, do drink beer, and sometimes enjoy what colorado has made legal lol. Anyone is welcome to come, just looking to get away from the city and relax.

You can hit me up with a PM or whatever. I am a fairly experienced driver so prefer trails with some challenge please. My favorite so far is Chinaman Gulch but it doesnt have to be that hardcore.........

glacierpaul
June 16th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Yankee has more to offer, Mammoth, Rollins Pass, Jenny Creek, other spurs and old mining roads. Then Hamlin Gulch, Cumberland, Washoe, Rainbow Rd. - Chinns/Sherwin and Fall River Res. may be snow free. I am going to go have lunch up by Chinns/FRR intersection and then attempt both again, will post a report later. We are doing the clean up run this EDIT: SATURDAY, you could camp at either trail, and run both.:2c:

Brad
June 16th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Trail clean up is Saturday. :thumb:

The StRanger
June 16th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Trail clean up is Saturday. :thumb:

And there is lots of good camping on ether trail..
I wouldnt mind doing one of them on Sunday
Sat Im all tied up ..

JeepWrench
June 16th, 2014, 06:24 PM
whats this trail cleanup entail? just curious as my girl isnt gonna be down for a whole lot of standing around lol

The Dude
June 16th, 2014, 09:07 PM
I also would like to know what trail the cleanup is at. I'm looking to spend some time in the mountains this weekend. I was stuck on an island all week last week and on a plane and traveling the past two weekends... I'm missing Colorado.

glacierpaul
June 16th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Justin, we drive the trail in groups and pick up trash along the way and at camping sites. There has always been enough time to run both trails in a day, if you plan on a semi long day.
Dustin, It will be your choice, Barbour Forks crew or Devils Canyon crew. Check the Planned run thread for the Adopt a trail clean up run.

Brad
June 16th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Devils canyon:
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=291

Barbour fork:
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=290

both trails are close to idaho springs. Have plenty of camping areas. For clean up we ask that you participate in the clean up efforts. If you are planning on just 4 wheeling and camping that is fine just don't sign up for the trail run.;)

JeepWrench
June 17th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Would really like to do the cleanup. There are a couple things stopping me...Its my girls first camping trip so trying to kinda trying to focus on that to make sure she enjoys herself so she will be game for more camping later......Second is I have worked every sat for the last month and I need down time..... I looked at the trails and they look cool but dont offer what I am looking for in my camping spot........I will deff be down for the next cleanup run though honestly........

Looking at Twin Cone Trail......Anyone game?

xaza
June 17th, 2014, 05:38 PM
The group rolls into the trouble areas and everybody gets out and spreads around to pick up the trash, mostly pieces of shot up things, and make note of locations of things we aren't supposed to touch. Forest service fills in all the information needed about that. Depending on the amount of trash as to how long it takes. Took until shortly after lunch last time, IIRC. We found a great campsite last year on Devils Canyon. There is the occasional hold up while the front runners are picking up things along the trail but the train doesn't stop for long.

Rick
June 17th, 2014, 10:35 PM
Looking at Twin Cone Trail......Anyone game?Possibly

theluke19
June 18th, 2014, 03:41 PM
I may be up for meeting Saturday afternoon for some campfire and camping time!

We would likely head out around 2 or 3 on Saturday, and stay overnight. Trails on Sat or Sun, either is OK with us.

We try to stay between 2-5 on Trail damage scale. Sounds like we may have a few of the same interests. I'd also be with my girlfriend Katie (27- I"m 27 too), and my dog (yellow lab) Mae Biggs.

Try to keep us posted here on where you end up, and maybe we can meet up!

ZukiTony
June 18th, 2014, 04:03 PM
I finally have a weekend off and my girlfriend, dog and I are looking to spend it wheeling and camping as well. May stay in Clear Creek though just because the 1.3l hates getting over the divide with nothing in it, let alone all my gear and I am still not quite set up to tow yet either. Trips like this are going to elevate towing priority big time though

JeepWrench
June 19th, 2014, 07:00 AM
Looking at doing the Empire Loop(Red Elephant, Bill Moore, and Bard Creek this weekend. Want to camp along the way Sat night. Will be me(29), my girl(Steff 26), and my dog(Breeze Rhodie/Boxer Mix). We are laid back, listen to all kinds of music, do drink beer, and sometimes enjoy what colorado has made legal lol. Anyone is welcome to come, just looking to get away from the city and relax.

Planning on leaving Denver early(7-8) Sat morning. Not sure which trail to start with have not done these yet, but will have a plan by Sat

You can hit me up with a PM or email sksguy1984@gmail.com.

JeepWrench
June 19th, 2014, 07:02 AM
Redid it now that I have a destination.............I will deff be on the next cleanup run, but looking for a diff experience for my girls first trip.....sorry if your mad at me for it.............but you can still call me to rescue you if your stuck or broke down lol

The Dude
June 19th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Bill Moore Lake is not properly rated anymore since the flooding last September. Be careful up there if that's what you decide on. It's a brutally rocky ride now. Disconnect your sway bar and air down at the beginning of the trail, you'll be glad you did.

I'm going to attempt to make the cleanup run in my Heep. Either or. Probably Devil's Canyon, as it seems there are less interested in that one. Anyone wanna make in an overnighter? I'd be coming up alone. My lady has to work on a trial all weekend for a homicide case. I'll probably take my motorcycle along and do my Cascade Creek/Georgetown switchbacks loop Sunday before heading back to town. It's about a 4-5 hour ride and you'll want an extended run fuel tank or extra fuel. Also, unless you want to go back up the switchbacks a plated, street legal bike is required as I take frontage roads back to Idaho Springs from Georgetown. No highway riding is required though. I may have my lady meet me up in Idaho Springs Sunday evening for dinner @ Tommy Knockers Brewery.

ZukiTony
June 19th, 2014, 07:46 AM
I always recommend starting with Red Elephant if you want to make it part of your loop. You are not supposed to go down because there are not many pulloffs to let people by. Then I usually take the mill creek loop before hitting bill moore. Makes for a nice day especially now that these trails are slightly harder than they used to be.

xaza
June 19th, 2014, 11:41 AM
That's exactly the way we run that loop. It is a fun trail.

SubAlpine
June 19th, 2014, 08:22 PM
I will be camping after the trail clean up if anyone would like to join.

Rick
June 19th, 2014, 09:27 PM
I will be camping after the trail clean up if anyone would like to join.where at? on those trails???

JeepWrench
June 19th, 2014, 11:38 PM
Bump

Also willing to do bard creek/democrat mountian and bill moore/mill creek if Red Elephant is a bit too much.......Those are all rated 3-4 vs red elephant 5-7

theluke19
June 20th, 2014, 08:01 AM
I believe I've camped at Bard creek before - and it seemed to be a pretty comfortable elevation.

We're not 100% set on going (I'm like 85% though :-P).

Democrat and Bard look like they'd be up our alley - Have you set up a tentative schedule quite yet, or just going with the flow?

SubAlpine
June 20th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Yeah, we will be setting up somewhere on which ever trail we cleanup.

Rick
June 20th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Soooooooo...where ya campin?

JeepWrench
June 20th, 2014, 08:54 PM
So my buddy Eric is set on red elephant to mill creek.....can find a campsite up there or run down to bard creek and camp there

JeepWrench
June 20th, 2014, 08:57 PM
I'm a little nerviuos about red elephant.......anyone run it recently?

xaza
June 20th, 2014, 09:51 PM
a couple people have
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?21555-Empire-Loop-06-14
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?21399-Bill-Moore-Lake-and-Bard-Creek

ZukiTony
June 20th, 2014, 10:25 PM
I am up it right now camping on the first part of mill creek. It was a little hairy coming up with all the weight from my camping gear but we chugged up the boulder hill no problem and found a great spot. I forgot what channel you said for cb tomorrow but if you let me know again I have service where we are camping and will tune in in the morning. It is beautiful up here right now!!

JeepWrench
June 20th, 2014, 11:58 PM
No cb sorry....Meeting at the Kum & Go 930 Idaho Springs.

In so far
3 wranglers