PDA

View Full Version : Welding Tips

xaza
June 17th, 2014, 09:36 PM
If working with a light weight metal with 2 edges folded up forming a corner, is it best to start weld at bottom (in corner) or top? Will be looking to have sealed to hold water.

Shane
June 17th, 2014, 11:05 PM
I would start at the corner and work may way out to the edge. This should give you base to start your puddle.

Cr33p3r
June 18th, 2014, 04:02 AM
Welding upwards usually leads to more leaks, so weld downward unless you can turn it to where you can weld flat(horizontially).

Hypoid
June 19th, 2014, 05:28 AM
turn it to where you can weld flatThis! Give yourself every advantage possible.

Sean, are run-on strips useful with light gauge steel?

Cr33p3r
June 19th, 2014, 11:02 AM
This! Give yourself every advantage possible.

Sean, are run-on strips useful with light gauge steel?

Mike I am assuming your are referring to backing strips? If so then yes!

Hypoid
June 19th, 2014, 11:27 AM
The way it was 'splained to me, clamp metal to the work piece so that you can weld past the end of the work piece. Then cut the weld off at the end of the work piece. This gives you a solid puddle, all the way to the end.

Cr33p3r
June 19th, 2014, 11:30 AM
That would be correct Mike, another way is to clamp a copper plate behind you weld and run your bead as the puddle won't stick to the copper.

xaza
June 19th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Getting excited, might even get a chance to start after work tonight. Thanks for the help guys. With the backing strips, are they welded into the material or do they just hold it while welding?

Hypoid
June 19th, 2014, 07:43 PM
With the backing strips, are they welded into the material or do they just hold it while welding?They don't hold anything. They extend the weld path so you can get the full cross section all the way to the edge of the work. If you don't use the run on strip, you will have a crater where you stop welding.