PDA

View Full Version : More NoCo trails opening up!!!

ILuvtheMountains
June 18th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Pearl Beaver and lower deadman near red feather are open! Add that to Johnny park and pole hill and we have some stuff to do up here. Really wish Kelly flats and moody hill/crystal mtn would open this year...

alexb
June 18th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Any word on sevenmile? I remember hearing that one of the local groups was going to try and show that there was no flood damage through pictures.

The StRanger
June 18th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Any word on Jenny Creek ????

ILuvtheMountains
June 18th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Our pictures of sevenmile didn't go too far but they said that there isn't too much that needs to be done to get it ready (fencing off a mud puddle). I told the ranger that perhaps I could walk the trail and take photos but I haven't found time to do that just yet. Perhaps in the coming week or two.
I don't know anything about jenny creek, sorry Sam. Never even been up there, pretty cool?

The StRanger
June 18th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Never drove it, But the pics Iv seen look cool.
Want to run it this year ..

Rick
June 18th, 2014, 05:27 PM
pretty cool?pretty fun trail,just the wash board road getting to it is a pain

ILuvtheMountains
June 18th, 2014, 05:30 PM
Where is it? Been checking canyon lakes, clear creek and boulder canyon ranger district sites and jenny creek isn't listed on any of those (that I saw).

xaza
June 18th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Gilpin County. X2 on the bumpy road, I air down before then.
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=17
Here is a trip we made last year. The first spot in the mud I believe is a place you are not supposed to go anymore though. Too much mud was being swept into nearby stream. I could be wrong though it was out first time up there and I believe we got lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xVPkMBjPAkU

dscowell
June 18th, 2014, 09:48 PM
Now that trails are starting to open up we should set up a run soon!

ILuvtheMountains
June 18th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Now that trails are starting to open up we should set up a run soon!
I agree. I will be back in town Monday.

dscowell
June 19th, 2014, 08:44 AM
The only problem with me is that I don't know for sure when my days off are if it's going to be following a trend this summer it's safe to assume Fridays and Mondays.

ILuvtheMountains
June 19th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Well feel free to start planning threads or pm me when you know, I keep a watchful eye on this forum. How far in advance do you get your schedules? We will make it happen, don't worry about that. My schedule is wide open, I just need time to let the wife know she will have the kids (unless she comes with me).

dscowell
June 19th, 2014, 11:54 AM
The following weeks schedule should be posted on Thursdays but is more often then not posted on Friday or Saturday but I will make sure to let you know

ILuvtheMountains
July 11th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Upper and lower deadman are now open near red feather! Good exploring, camping and moose viewing up there.

Java
July 12th, 2014, 07:16 AM
sounds like a backway to the sand dunes run should be doable shortly! :thumb:

ILuvtheMountains
August 13th, 2014, 01:39 PM
Looks like storm mtn just opened! Looks like we definitely won't see sevenmile, Kelly flats or moody/crystal this year.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5300963

Mr6dwg
August 13th, 2014, 02:22 PM
I wanted to go check out the Moody/Crystal road, but could not get to the road. It is blocked at Masonville and only open to the local residents that live on that road. So, it looks like my favorite roads will not be available this year.

Jim
August 13th, 2014, 03:31 PM
sounds like a backway to the sand dunes run should be doable shortly!

And this... I went alone a weekend or so ago. It's open. I pruned back several trees.

On the eastern side of the trek, FS200 iirc, is a two lane, pothole free, freshly graded FREEWAY. I had to catch myself to slow down (was pushing 40MPH in stretches).

Java
August 13th, 2014, 06:18 PM
And this... I went alone a weekend or so ago. It's open. I pruned back several trees.

On the eastern side of the trek, FS200 iirc, is a two lane, pothole free, freshly graded FREEWAY. I had to catch myself to slow down (was pushing 40MPH in stretches).

Awesome!! I really want to go in or out that way. Since there are no YES' except me I'm going to cancel the Sept 6 Tincup run and change it to the dunes. :thumb:

Jim
August 13th, 2014, 06:46 PM
There seems to be a decent volume of forest service / logging roads on the eastern side of the ridge. One could spend quite a time driving around up there.

redneck23ms
August 14th, 2014, 07:34 AM
I heard that the f's has contractors that are going to work on moody/crystal this month along with Kelly flats and possibly seven mile this month. Not sure when they expect to have them open though

dscowell
August 15th, 2014, 08:32 PM
So if all the trails that need repairs are not worked on or repaired by the end of this season will they still be closed next year?

redneck23ms
August 15th, 2014, 08:46 PM
who knows. i passed by kelly flats and sevenmile today. nothing done at kelly flats yet but apparently they haven't bid that one out yet. the entrance to sevenmile has been graded though and they are supposed to be done in a few days so maybe it will open up soon.

dscowell
August 15th, 2014, 08:58 PM
Well if they aren't working on certain trails this year and they won't open up next year could people volunteer to help with the trail reconstruction? It seems like Kelly Flats and Sevenmile are on the top of the popularity scale for the area yet nothing seems to have been done that I am aware.

MiddleBillyGoat
August 25th, 2014, 10:09 PM
Sevenmile reopened today.
Moody is supposed to be the next to reopen.

Jim
August 25th, 2014, 10:46 PM
SWEETNESS!

redneck23ms
August 26th, 2014, 06:28 AM
from what i have heard sevenmile was graded to past the first watercrossing. with the crossings being a little deeper than before the flood. apparently the fs told the local club that they aren't going to like what was done to moody though so i'm guessing its going to be pretty flat like storm mtn is now. also the contract has been let for repairs to kelly flats but no start or finish date has been set yet

ILuvtheMountains
August 29th, 2014, 07:48 PM
^^^that sucks. It will wash out again though. Moody just opened today, I hope that they didn't do anything to those. There are parts that are not "fixable" but I still don't want them messing with stuff so much.

Brucker
August 29th, 2014, 08:42 PM
So Moody and Crystal are open? Or just Moody?

Jim
August 29th, 2014, 09:04 PM

Moody's listed as open (the list was recently updated). Crystal closed.

Brucker
August 30th, 2014, 12:55 AM

Moody's listed as open (the list was recently updated). Crystal closed.

Thanks for the clarification!

redneck23ms
August 30th, 2014, 08:36 AM
I will be running moody Monday morning if anybody wants to tag along plan is to meet at the trailhead at 8

ILuvtheMountains
September 1st, 2014, 04:03 PM
Gonna get moody done here soon too! Kinda wanna just cruise sevenmile to see what it looks like now.

redneck23ms
September 1st, 2014, 07:07 PM
ran sevenmile on the dirtbike saturday and the first mile or so is pretty smooth now. the rest of it has been graded some but its still rocky. nothing hard just sections of softball sized rocks.the creek wasn't running down the trail like it used to. not sure if that was from the work done or just because the creek was so low as most of the crossings were only a couple inches deep. ran the whole trail from gate to gate in 25 mins or so on the bike. moody has really been graded. from the trail head up to the spur leading to the quarry all of the rock climbs are gone. its mostly just smooth dirt with some big water bar humps now and then. after the quarry spur not much was done to the trail other than a couple small water bars but no serious grading like the lower section

newracer
September 22nd, 2014, 02:55 PM
Kelly Flats is now open.

Mr6dwg
September 24th, 2014, 01:54 PM
I drove up to Masonville over the weekend in my Jeep, expecting to "go explore". When I got to the intersection, there was the ever visible Road Closed sign (open to local traffic). Since I did not want to create any problems, I turned around. If I had know that I could have gone on, I would have.

redneck23ms
September 24th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Cr27 which is the road that goes from masonville past buckhorn rd to stove prairie is closed in the narrows due to brig washed out by the floods. It is being rebuilt and scheduled to reopen dec 9.

newracer
September 24th, 2014, 03:49 PM
You can go around through Rist Canyon.

JFjeld
September 26th, 2014, 02:15 PM
Kelly Flats is now open.
Great video you posted to YouTube of Kelly Flats from a few years ago. I'm the dude who's been sending you questions today, lol.

ILuvtheMountains
June 30th, 2015, 09:03 PM
Storm mountain opened today. Running it for the first time tomorrow!

ILuvtheMountains
August 20th, 2015, 08:00 AM
Sevenmile opened up finally! I wonder how it looks, since it was closed for so long, maybe there was decen twater flowing to uncover some rocks and bumps again...

newracer
August 20th, 2015, 08:16 AM
Sevenmile opened up finally! I wonder how it looks, since it was closed for so long, maybe there was decen twater flowing to uncover some rocks and bumps again...

I was part of the group that got it open last weekend. I think the water actually filled in the rough spots with sediment. There are a few spots with a few rocks, still a pretty easy trail.

96EXXLTinCO
August 20th, 2015, 03:50 PM
I was part of the group that got it open last weekend. I think the water actually filled in the rough spots with sediment. There are a few spots with a few rocks, still a pretty easy trail.

Thank you for spending your time helping to get the trail open.