PDA

View Full Version : racing at CORE !

94ToyBear
June 18th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Looks like my buddy and I will be ready to race this sunday at core. All we have left to do is mount the fire extigwisher and adjust the 5 point seat belts and allmost there. cant wait ! We worked REALLY HARD to get this little Runner where its at now.

xaza
June 18th, 2014, 06:32 PM
sweet, good luck!

Brucker
June 18th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Good luck out there! May have to come join in the fun one of these days. Looks like a fairly cheap way to get your racing fix.

94ToyBear
June 18th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Id be fun to make a run out of it and everyone who goes can have a friendly race out of it !
Ill try and get pics up soon...my phoe aint working right now.

94ToyBear
June 18th, 2014, 08:07 PM
When we got it it had no wheels, 3 holes in the gas tank and was ready to be crushed.
He did a complete front brake job, had wheels and tires from another project, gutted everything we didnt need, all glass is gone, topper is gona be used on my buddies runner list goes on and on

94ToyBear
June 18th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Bender I built while at wyotech. Was made to be bolted to the ground but put it on wheels and did the air over hydo ram.
Learned to bend some tube and built a cage

94ToyBear
June 18th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Sorry didnt rotate the pic

94ToyBear
June 18th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Sorry tried to rotate these but phone wont do it for me.

94ToyBear
June 18th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Cant wait !

Patrolman
June 18th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Simple but fun. I like it!

94ToyBear
June 18th, 2014, 09:05 PM
Thats the idea Jeff ! Less to break and cheeper !

Funrover
June 18th, 2014, 10:21 PM
Sweet! Good luck and have fun!

parothd
June 20th, 2014, 06:55 AM
Yota looks great! Be safe and have a Blast... I cant wait to get out there myself...

The StRanger
June 20th, 2014, 08:25 AM
VERY Nice !!!!
Tell Clyde & Carl Sam says hi !!

94ToyBear
June 21st, 2014, 04:02 PM
Well as you can tell our test day didnt go so well. But the most important we can out safe and unharmed. My buddy who was the drive at this tine got a knot in his shoulder thats it. Im soooooooo glad we went as safe as can be with roll cage 5point harness beard seat, helmet, and fire suits. Time to keep building !

Rick
June 21st, 2014, 05:29 PM
Damn!!! Glad everyone is ok....back to the drawing board I guess

Patrolman
June 21st, 2014, 06:51 PM
Ouch! Glad everyone is OK. Hope it was at least a good learning experience. At least you didn't drop a ton of cash into it!

xaza
June 21st, 2014, 07:01 PM
oh bummer, glad everyone is ok.

Brucker
June 21st, 2014, 11:21 PM
Well as you can tell our test day didnt go so well. But the most important we can out safe and unharmed. My buddy who was the drive at this tine got a knot in his shoulder thats it. Im soooooooo glad we went as safe as can be with roll cage 5point harness beard seat, helmet, and fire suits. Time to keep building !

Wow, glad everyone was alright for the most part. Must have been a pretty high speed wreck/roll for the cab and cage to deflect that much.

Patrolman
June 22nd, 2014, 09:38 AM
Looking at some of the other pics, I wonder if a diagonal in the cage would have minimized the deflection. Yeah, it must have been at a pretty good speed. At least everything did the job this time around.

Brucker
June 22nd, 2014, 02:17 PM
Looking at some of the other pics, I wonder if a diagonal in the cage would have minimized the deflection. Yeah, it must have been at a pretty good speed. At least everything did the job this time around.

Haven't seen any photos other than the ones posted in this thread which don't show much, so without seeing the cage, I can not comment. But the tube work was built according to spec, correct? It would have to be in order to be able to be run at a track. I mean, if it wasn't built according to track rules then it wouldn't pass tech inspection. And every track should inspect all vehicles before they let someone out on the track. That is if they don't want a law suit. Or want to keep people safe.

So maybe the OP can chime in as to which set of rules they built to cage according to? It would probably be SCORE as most just use the same guidelines as they established or at least close to it.

As an example, check out this video. This rig took a HUGE hit! Well many of them actually . And the driver walked away while the car actually held up awesome. This is due to the cage design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWOANXNGrZc

94ToyBear
June 22nd, 2014, 02:30 PM
I think a diagonal bar aross the back would have done some good...but in away im glad it did what it did for your frist roll. Seems to be insteadof hitting a cage that had no deflection whould put the Iimpact more on us our selfs. Not worried damage to the truck we can allways rebuild or get another. But I do agree this is a weee bit ti muck deflection. I think we were going about 40 to maaaaybe 50 MPH so I do think it did its job.

Due to the lack of rules at CORE we built it aaccording to SCORE minus side bars (we have steels doors). Learned alot from this experience and my first roll over so next one will be even better !

94ToyBear
June 22nd, 2014, 02:34 PM
I seen that vid yesterday ! That ride probably cost few hundred thousands !

Brucker
June 22nd, 2014, 02:40 PM
I think a diagonal bar aross the back would have done some good...but in away im glad it did what it did for your frist roll. Seems to be insteadof hitting a cage that had no deflection whould put the Iimpact more on us our selfs. Not worried damage to the truck we can allways rebuild or get another. But I do agree this is a weee bit ti muck deflection. I think we were going about 40 to maaaaybe 50 MPH so I do think it did its job.

Due to the lack of rules at CORE we built it aaccording to SCORE minus side bars (we have steels doors). Learned alot from this experience and my first roll over so next one will be even better !

Before I type anymore, I want you all to know that I am VERY happy you all came out of this alive and mostly unscathed.

But a 40-50 MPH crash isn't that fast....

What class of SCORE did you try to built it to? If you didn't have any triangulation in the B pillar hoop, or in the halo of the roof, it couldn't be. Especially in a vehicle that is considered an open top vehicle as there is no back of the cab in the first gen 4Runners. You may have steel doors, but you don't have an enclosed cab fo the doors to actually help much. And you are missing more than door bars. There is no floor bars connecting the A and B pillars. The door bar would connect the same bars, across the door, above the floor bar.

Please remember that badly designed and/or executed tube work can be more dangerous than not having it.

And what is this about CORE not having rules? Is this true? Do they not have you go through tech before they let you out on the track? Maybe this is the reasoning behind why most of the racers I know stay away from that place. Lack of safety hurts EVERYONE.

94ToyBear
June 22nd, 2014, 02:55 PM
From my understand there is a minimum cage design by score. I dont have my book with me now and going on vacation tomorrow I will take a pic of the cage rules when I get back On the 1st. As far as core in no way im not taking junk what so ever rules or no rules should not depend on the company its self. As a driver co driver compeditor or even a spectator you need to prepare your self for the worst to the best of your ability. Rules are as I was told: "roll cage, fire suit, helmet, windo nets, have fun". I agree with you a bad cage can be more dangerous we spent 3 month to build this one took our time and didnt rush it what so ever.

And fyi we did walk away from this drove her back to the pits back on the trailer.

Brucker
June 22nd, 2014, 03:17 PM
From my understand there is a minimum cage design by score. I dont have my book with me now and going on vacation tomorrow I will take a pic of the cage rules when I get back On the 1st. As far as core in no way im not taking junk what so ever rules or no rules should not depend on the company its self. As a driver co driver compeditor or even a spectator you need to prepare your self for the worst to the best of your ability. Rules are as I was told: "roll cage, fire suit, helmet, windo nets, have fun". I agree with you a bad cage can be more dangerous we spent 3 month to build this one took our time and didnt rush it what so ever.

SCORE rules can always be found on their website: http://score-international.com/

Again, I am not trying to rag on you, just trying to help so you or your co-driver won't get hurt next time either. Taking your time with the cage is a great thing. But time doesn't help as much as design and your fabrication abilities. If the cage is to be used, it needs to allow for the transference of energy from all points. Hence why triangulation is needed.

Example: The two rear down tubes of your 4runner. They only connect the top of the B-pillar hoop to the rear floor (and possibly the frame below if it's tied together properly there and not just bolted to the floor). They don't add any lateral support or actually at that much strength to keep the b-pillar hoop from moving backward. Especially when they have a sharp bend right at the bottom of them. But if they were tied to each other with an X and then tied back into the b-pillar hoop on the sides, it would stiffen the entire chassis and probably almost double the strength.

'Nother example: Your seats look to be bolted to the floor while the harnesses look to be attached to the tube work. HUGE no-no. Put both to the same structure. Preferably the tube work. Think of it like this, in a bad accident where the tube work and the body want to separate, what then happen to the harnesses and the seat, let alone the occupants. If this was to happen, you'd want to go with the strongest structure, the cage. And with the seats and harnesses both connected to the same structure, one would stay firmly in place.

A great thing to do would be to pick up a copy of Chassis Design, and/or Race Car Vehicle Dynamics from your local Library or book store. Great info on general chassis and cage design as well as suspensions and lots of other stuff.

94ToyBear
June 22nd, 2014, 03:22 PM
Allways looking to learn ! I totally agree with you.

CS79bronco
June 23rd, 2014, 01:31 AM
Looks like you guys got a good start, being your first try. Glad no one was seriously injured. It's a learning curve, and you want to be advanced enough along that curve to survive the worst case scenario. Good luck on the next build.

94ToyBear
December 30th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Well back to the drawing board ! We got the cab straighted as as much as possible
With a porta power, winch, and high jack
We pretty much finalized a build plan.
Main goal is to make her SAFE and fun.
Our plan as follows:

Front end:

Remove front drive train for RWD only
Blazeland prefabed long arm kit
Pitman arm support
front shocks(TBA)
shock hoops
(Homemade)
(If necessary)

REAR.
Replace 4.10 drop out with 4.56
(Open, LSD, locked,( TBA)?
Move diff back as far as possible
possibly use 63 chevy springs
(Junk yard)
Rear driff spring Under Axle
Poly bushings
Longer shackles
(Homemade)
shocks(TBA)
shock hoops
(Homemade)
Longer upgraded drive shaft. HI BILL !
FULL ROLL CAGE! Score int specs 1 3/4 .120 DOM mandrel bend
TIG Welded by experienced welder.
Fuel Cell/fuel pump
Tubed Spare tire carrier/straps.
Possible 33x12.5R15 BFG

Move radiator and battery to the rear for balance
Remove all AC components
Front and rear tubed bumper.
Possible transmission swap to a RWD for weight savings

94ToyBear
December 30th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Anyone know the Curb weight of a stock 1st gen IFS 4 cyl 4Runner ?
I looked around on line and cant seem to find a consistent number.
Wikipedia says up to 2760 im assuming that can be dry curb wieght and
Since its the high side of the estimated weight im thinking thats for a 6cyl 3.0

anyone got the correct number floating in there head ?

Patrolman
December 30th, 2014, 06:17 PM
I can check my owner manual in the glove box. Can't get to it tonight though.

94ToyBear
December 30th, 2014, 07:15 PM
Thanks Jeff when ever your free

94ToyBear
February 7th, 2015, 06:46 PM
With race season coming up and loss of some income and the cost to actually race my buddy and I decided to sit out of the racing and just have fun. That being said were planning on just racing each other but that means we need two cars. we will race anything at this point.
I can get my hands on a puke green 75 AMC hornet.

Sooooooo. anyone Have experience With AMC cars ?

94ToyBear
February 7th, 2015, 06:49 PM
I have A new phone I can finally up load pics from !

94ToyBear
February 7th, 2015, 08:59 PM
75 amc hornet, mad max looking ain't it lol
This is a pic I found on Google mine is more puke in color

xaza
February 8th, 2015, 06:46 AM
Competing with friends is the best. You get to enjoy their accomplishments with them and then strive to beat it. Glad to see you will be overcoming adversity and enjoying what you love, kudos to you.